Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Go home, you're drunk.

Unfortunately, Forest have moulded a potent Championship squad this summer which is set up for Karanka's style of play. They lacked goals and creativity big time last season, 

Only four teams kept more clean sheets than Forest in the last quarter of the season. Karanka certainly shored up their defence.

And now they've added creativity and goals this summer with the likes of Grabban, Soudani, Carvalho, Goncalves and Gil Dias. Not to mention signing Pantilimon and Figueirido on perm deals.

I'll be amazed if they don't finish top six, or if Derby finish above them.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'd easily swap our squad for Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, Forest, Boro, Sheff Wed, Norwich and Brentford.

While some be lacking individually, they each have a team more suited to their manager's style of play and they'll strengthen further as the window goes on. 

You're entitled to your opinion, but what have you seen from Norwich, Forest & Wednesday to suggest they've added 15, 22 & 18 to their points tally from last season? 

Boro were one point better off than us last season, whereas Brentford were six points worse off, so I can see how that could be argued one way or another. Relegated teams are always tipped to go straight back up, despite only 1 in the last 6 managing it. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but what have you seen from Norwich, Forest & Wednesday to suggest they've added 15, 22 & 18 to their points tally from last season? 

Boro were one point better off than us last season, whereas Brentford were six points worse off, so I can see how that could be argued one way or another. Relegated teams are always tipped to go straight back up, despite only 1 in the last 6 managing it. 

Wednesday were a mess last season due to their injuries. Once they got their better players back, like Kieran Lee, Bannan and Forestieri, they went on promotion form for the last 10 games of the season and looked really good.

I think they already have a top six squad, they just suffered from so many injuries last season which cost Carvalhal his job and then it took a little while for them to adjust to Luhukay and his preferred formation of a back three.

Forest improved immensely from a defensive point of view. They just lacked creativity with Tomlin their only outlet and a goal scorer, relying on Brereton who reminds me of Callum Ball.

Forest have bought 5 new attacking players this summer, one of those a Championship goal scorer in Grabban and three others being top Portugal U21 internationals. They will challenge.

Derby overachieved last season. How many times did we fall behind in a game and we all thought, well that's that? We don't have the nous or creativity to get back into it because we're a counterattacking team.

Now Lampard wants us to move into a team who looks to dominate the ball. So why do people suddenly expect us to start breaking teams down when it was painfully obvious we couldn't do it last season.

If Lampard gets us in the top six playing a decent brand of football with our current squad is seems far more suited to deep defensive block Rowetball then he's frankly (no pun intended) a genius and should be managing a CL club.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wednesday were a mess last season due to their injuries. Once they got their better players back, like Kieran Lee, Bannan and Forestieri, they went on promotion form for the last 10 games of the season and looked really good.

I think they already have a top six squad, they just suffered from so many injuries last season which cost Carvalhal his job and then it took a little while for them to adjust to Luhukay and his preferred formation of a back three.

Forest improved immensely from a defensive point of view. They just lacked creativity with Tomlin their only outlet and a goal scorer, relying on Brereton who reminds me of Callum Ball.

Forest have bought 5 new attacking players this summer, one of those a Championship goal scorer in Grabban and three others being top Portugal U21 internationals. They will challenge.

Derby overachieved last season. How many times did we fall behind in a game and we all thought, well that's that? We don't have the nous or creativity to get back into it because we're a counterattacking team.

Now Lampard wants us to move into a team who looks to dominate the ball. So why do people suddenly expect us to start breaking teams down when it was painfully obvious we couldn't do it last season.

If Lampard gets us in the top six playing a decent brand of football with our current squad is seems far more suited to deep defensive block Rowetball then he's frankly (no pun intended) a genius and should be managing a CL club.

Forest didn't lack creativity under Warburton though? In fact, every team Karanka has managed has lacked creativity - he won promotion with a side that had a top scorer of 11 goals. Warburton was attacking, Karanka very defensive. 

I also don't see how with one hand you can say Forest have added attack minded players, so they will be more creative yet in the same breathe say we lack creativity despite bringing the likes of Mount & Wilson into the team, nevermind the return of Bryson.

I just don't think that this team is more suited to Rowettball. I think Rowett could organise a football team to be compact without the ball, to play counter-attacking football, but I really don't think it suited us at all. That's my opinion, which is obviously very different to yours.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Football isn’t played on paper

49 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'd easily swap our squad for Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, Forest, Boro, Sheff Wed, Norwich and Brentford.

Football isn’t played on paper but you’re quite happy to sit here fawning over Forest’s squad on paper

1 minute ago, David said:

Football isn’t played on paper but you’re quite happy to sit here fawning over Forest’s squad on paper

But Forest signed a bunch of players from the continent who nobody has ever heard of, but they have fancy names, so they must be good!

Just now, Andicis said:

But Forest signed a bunch of players from the continent who nobody has ever heard of, but they have fancy names, so they must be good!

They may be good, and fair play to them for spending their coin on them if they are, but they're going to have to prove it just like anyone else. 

Bueno was technically a fantastic footballer to watch, but he really struggled to translate his talent into effectiveness for us. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

They may be good, and fair play to them for spending their coin on them if they are, but they're going to have to prove it just like anyone else. 

Bueno was technically a fantastic footballer to watch, but he really struggled to translate his talent into effectiveness for us. 

Oh absolutely. I'm quite confident those players are going to flop. It's just funny the people getting nervous over a bunch of players nobody else has ever heard of. I think we'll finish comfortably above Forest.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Whilst I understand what you’re saying, write the names down on a piece of paper and they look good, they have that foreign oooh la la va va....

9C891555-59D1-41C1-8867-9A12E58BC93C.gif

Look about them. Top 6 guaranteed.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

We finished above our rivals and you think it doesn't matter? Are you a football fan?

I just said we didn't gain anything apart from bragging rights. Am pretty sure Mel Morris didn't write into his many previous managers contracts that a target will be finishing above Forest. Given that we are still trawling the Championship with them it hasn't counted for much.

Is this season a write off ? You are joking, I can not wait for the first game away to Reading, we have a young ex England  great in Frank Lampard as manager, we have signed some young exciting players, and we still have some great players at our club like Carson, Keogh, Davis, Huddlestone, Lawrence and Wisdom, with the exciting young Thomas trying to break into the starting 11. I can not wait for the season to start.

Archived