Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

Write off in terms of top 6 finish- Yes, as we dont seem to be doing much activity to improve our team

But this season can be one of the most important seasons in a decade, in terms of improving the style of play, bringing in youngsters ect

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, DcfcJack said:

Well so far I’ve seen nothing to change my mind, If Lampard is a tactical genius and makes this team a success then I’ll have no problems admitting I was wrong, but at this moment, there really isn’t much to fill me with optimism.

Except that Frank may actually turn out to be a tactical genius or inspirational enough to make the team a success.

I can't believe, before a game has even been kicked and before the transfer and loan windows have closed, folk are being so negative.

I'm no way saying it will happen but is it not possible that another manager will get more out this team than Rowett did? 

Are we 100% certain Rowett got the very best out of the squad in every game? Because if we think he did then yes, the season is probably a write off.

11 minutes ago, Ramet said:

I know what you mean just seems a bit daft as we have a new coaching team with new ideas and with the loanees coming back plus a few very talented lads coming from the youth it is alltogether a new team.

Yeah I hope that you’re right and this squad can prove me wrong, but for me, I’m still not convinced by the idea of relying of the same players who were sent out on loan to improve our team, these players were sent on loan in the first place because they weren’t cutting it (Some because they didn’t fit the system as well) for example, don’t think we can rely on Martin to be that 20 goal striker we need as much I want him to be.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Except that Frank may actually turn out to be a tactical genius or inspirational enough to make the team a success.

I can't believe, before a game has even been kicked and before the transfer and loan windows have closed, folk are being so negative.

Of course the transfer window is still open and if we do turn it around I’ll be more optimistic, I don’t think that games against Notts county will give us a great indication yet, gonna have to wait until reading for that.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm no way saying it will happen but is it not possible that another manager will get more out this team than Rowett did? 

Are we 100% certain Rowett got the very best out of the squad in every game? Because if we think he did then yes, the season is probably a write off.

Exactly my thoughts. Even in finishing 6th quite a few of us were disappointed in the performances and yet another decline from 2nd. We don't have a clue how good of a manager Lampard is so who's to say he won't get more out of this squad than Rowett did? I'm concerned by the current attacking options, but this squad is still more than capable of pushing towards a top 6 finish.

Signings would be fantastic and hopefully we get some, but is this team really miles off top 6 standard?

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone Bryson

Blackman Vydra Lawrence

Jerome

And I know on paper the league is more difficult like it is every season, but there's plenty of question marks surrounding other teams as well 

18 minutes ago, DcfcJack said:

Of course the transfer window is still open and if we do turn it around I’ll be more optimistic, I don’t think that games against Notts county will give us a great indication yet, gonna have to wait until reading for that.

Pre-season friendlies can never really be considered true indicators for the forthcoming season. Also, I think we need to be a little more patient than just the Reading game before deciding how the season is likely to pan out.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

An ageing squad only declining in ability

Championship rivals spending big and improving their squad

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

Completely agree mate. Becareful sharing this kind of opinion on the forum as you just get slated. Relegation fodder mark my words. 

1 hour ago, DcfcJack said:

Well so far I’ve seen nothing to change my mind, If Lampard is a tactical genius and makes this team a success then I’ll have no problems admitting I was wrong, but at this moment, there really isn’t much to fill me with optimism.

Not even with a Ram on Frank Lampards chest.

Without a ball even being kicked, that has made my season. But like anything, some are easily pleased and some aren't. 

10 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Not even with a Ram on Frank Lampards chest.

Without a ball even being kicked, that has made my season. But like anything, some are easily pleased and some aren't. 

So I have to wait until at least a few games into the season to have an opinion, does beating Coventry show that we're gonna be title contenders or relegation favourites, no I doesn't, you can only make a comment at this point on the players we have at our disposel and for me this is not a top 6 squad.

Just need a couple signings in my book -

A Left Back is needed due to the averageness of our current ones....

A Striker due to the age, Mobility and quality of the ones we currently have

A wide player but if Bennet can step up then maybe we dont need one

A center midfielder with drive and pace who can beat a man and score us some goals

For me the team is on a scale of 1-100 is currently at 75. We need to improve certain areas but with players coming back and with a new style of play inherited maybe current players can give 10-20% more than last season. We have some good players for the championship i have no doubts that Frank will get the best out of some of these. I want signings - Badly but we need to keep the faith and stick together...

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Some frightening thoughts, and I fear some may well be true, but there is one part I would disagree with:

I think we could build our team around George Thorne. First thing I'd be doing if I was the Derby manager is looking straight back to when we were at our best, and that was under that 4-3-3 under McClaren. Thorne was arguably key to everything in that system, certainly in regards to the defence and playing out through the midfield - and he's still at the club!

I'd write his name down on a team-sheet and go from there...

Cant believe no-one picked up on this. The positive side of me, where England get to semi-finals and win on penalties, agrees with you and wants George to become the player we thought he could with a solid preseason and a run in the team.

However, the realistic side of me, where I support Derby and England who both go out in semi finals after stopping attacking and losing the midfield battle, questions whether Thorne will ever last a season playing week in and out. And surely, if he can’t last full 90 minute games, let alone a season, he shouldn’t be the player we build around. 

Lets see if George can get to full fitness and fight for a place in the side. Then we can dream of him being our leader

Last season this squad played for a manager who was a journeyman full back in his playing days and who encouraged anti-football tactics as a manager. This season they will be playing for an up and coming young manager whose career saw him win a plethora of medals in various competitions as a player. Granted that doesn't guarantee success in itself but if I was a player I know which managers philosophy I would buy into and give that extra effort for. 

Archived