Mason Mount - Signed on a season long loan

Cam the Ram

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put this in another thread but this seems to be the place... John Percy and a lot of Chelsea reports[very reliable for our youth] are saying it's a done deal. Apparently Mount was going to join Werder Bremen on a two year loan a la Andreas Christensen and that was our club's decision for him. However Frankie gave him a call and somehow convinced him to ply his trade in the Championship instead. I know a lot of Chelsea fans who think it's a sideways move of sorts and that it means he'll probably need to go out on further loans before getting into the first team now. None of it is untrue but I still think the lad has some time and he will learn a lot in the championship and under Frank especially. Also he has guaranteed playing time and good treatment under the eyes of Jody and Frank which we can't guarantee anywhere else. Make no mistake though, if it wasn't Frank Lampard calling we would never have gone through with this. He is one of the crown jewels of the academy, the brightest player we have had in recent times and that includes Abraham, Solanke, Palmer, Izzy Brown, etc. You already mentioned how Southgate called him up to train with the senior team before the World Cup and the Vitesse captain also said in an interview here how he's been the best they ever had from us. Chelsea fans seem to think the expectation is a 20-25 G+A season at the least and that kind of player really could seal promotion for a championship team. I said I'd be watching and following Derby regardless of that this season but now I'll probably watch every single match, haha. Should be fun times!

Edit: Forgot to add that he won player of the tournament at the u19 euros last summer which England won. Seen a lot of Chelsea youth but this guy is one of those you really feel like is ready to play senior football right now. His technique is undeniable. 

4 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

Put this in another thread but this seems to be the place... John Percy and a lot of Chelsea reports[very reliable for our youth] are saying it's a done deal. Apparently Mount was going to join Werder Bremen on a two year loan a la Andreas Christensen and that was our club's decision for him. However Frankie gave him a call and somehow convinced him to ply his trade in the Championship instead. I know a lot of Chelsea fans who think it's a sideways move of sorts and that it means he'll probably need to go out on further loans before getting into the first team now. None of it is untrue but I still think the lad has some time and he will learn a lot in the championship and under Frank especially. Also he has guaranteed playing time and good treatment under the eyes of Jody and Frank which we can't guarantee anywhere else. Make no mistake though, if it wasn't Frank Lampard calling we would never have gone through with this. He is one of the crown jewels of the academy, the brightest player we have had in recent times and that includes Abraham, Solanke, Palmer, Izzy Brown, etc. You already mentioned how Southgate called him up to train with the senior team before the World Cup and the Vitesse captain also said in an interview here how he's been the best they ever had from us. Chelsea fans seem to think the expectation is a 20-25 G+A season at the least and that kind of player really could seal promotion for a championship team. I said I'd be watching and following Derby regardless of that this season but now I'll probably watch every single match, haha. Should be fun times!

Much appreciated mate ? is Kasey Palmer coming as well? 

10 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

...Make no mistake though, if it wasn't Frank Lampard calling we would never have gone through with this...

Make no mistake if this wasn't good for Derby he wouldn't be wanted by Frank & Jody.

21 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

Edit: Forgot to add that he won player of the tournament at the u19 euros last summer which England won. Seen a lot of Chelsea youth but this guy is one of those you really feel like is ready to play senior football right now. His technique is undeniable. 

Really appreciate the input and am excited by this is if he's as good as reported but a sideways step ? He will gain a lot more from this and with us than he would from another season in the Dutch league , technically I know it's a good standard , but surely this move will be good for him from the experience around him , physicality of the league and the competitiveness of the league. Don't get me wrong I agree he may not have come here if it wasn't for our management team but the move will be good for all parties. 

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Make no mistake if this wasn't good for Derby he wouldn't be wanted by Frank & Jody.

Indeed. However it would've made more sense for Chelsea to send Baker or Palmer on sales to Derby rather than Mount on loan.

6 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Much appreciated mate ? is Kasey Palmer coming as well? 

Nothing concrete on that front yet I'm afraid.

8 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Sorry for not doing my homework but is MM an out and out winger or can he play through the middle just as well?

Best position is an attacking mid just behind the striker but he played the majority of last season in a 3 man midfield at Vitesse 

6 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Really appreciate the input and am excited by this is if he's as good as reported but a sideways step ? He will gain a lot more from this and with us than he would from another season in the Dutch league , technically I know it's a good standard , but surely this move will be good for him from the experience around him , physicality of the league and the competitiveness of the league. Don't get me wrong I agree he may not have come here if it wasn't for our management team but the move will be good for all parties.  

Like I said, I don't think it's a sideways step necessarily but a lot of Chelsea fans who have also watched him a lot do think so. In my opinion, the Eredivisie is technically superior to the Championship but inferior in terms of physicality, speed, stamina, etc. However you must remember that he had a move to Werder Bremen lined up and almost closed if not for the interest from Frank and Derby. Looking at Tammy, Bamford, and all the others who put up good seasons in the Championship, it isn't quite the level to say he's good enough to play at Chelsea even if he did drop a 20G+A. On the other hand the Bundesliga is the real deal, if he has a KDBesque season there - there's no way he doesn't make the Chelsea team.

9 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Sorry for not doing my homework but is MM an out and out winger or can he play through the middle just as well?

I'd be very surprised to see him play anywhere near the wing this year, probably more of the attacking runner in a midfield three, at a stretch a CAM behind the striker, similar to how Vydra played last season. 

3 minutes ago, Redcar said:

The thought of having attackers; Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Vydra.... then Thomas who I really hope gets game time.... all hungry lads with amazing pace. I won’t sleep tonight now! ? 

dont forget potentially palmer aswell...

Midfield three

Mount  Huddlestone Palmer

Writes itself... huddlestone the experienced passer in the middle, palmer and mount the legs and youth either side... Can always swap in Bryson there too

Archived