Martyn Waghorny - Signed on a 3 year deal

Carnero

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This one just doesn't sit right for the money being quoted. We have strikers coming out of our ears at the minute with no guarantee of being able to move any of them on. 

We do have lots of strikers they’re just not very good! There’s no point having Marriott, Martin, Nugent and Jerome as your 4 strikers as the team would have to completely change the way they play each team a striker came on. If we had Marriott and Waghorn as our main strikers with Jerome on bench for when we need to go long at the end of a match we’d be covered for injuries and would have the ability to shift plans. Don’t forget waghorn has played on the right so would offer another option off the bench!

Last season he impressed me hugely when he played at pride park. Brilliant delivery and good close control. I hope we get this done and then I reckon we are significantly stronger than last season. 

6 minutes ago, Kirkbyram said:

We do have lots of strikers they’re just not very good! There’s no point having Marriott, Martin, Nugent and Jerome as your 4 strikers as the team would have to completely change the way they play each team a striker came on. If we had Marriott and Waghorn as our main strikers with Jerome on bench for when we need to go long at the end of a match we’d be covered for injuries and would have the ability to shift plans. Don’t forget waghorn has played on the right so would offer another option off the bench!

Last season he impressed me hugely when he played at pride park. Brilliant delivery and good close control. I hope we get this done and then I reckon we are significantly stronger than last season. 

I get that, my point was less about ability and more about the fact that if we sign Waghorn and we don't shift anyone else before the end of the window we will have Marriott, Waghorn, Martin, Vydra, Jerome and Nugent. That is a lot of money on wages down the drain.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I get that, my point was less about ability and more about the fact that if we sign Waghorn and we don't shift anyone else before the end of the window we will have Marriott, Waghorn, Martin, Vydra, Jerome and Nugent. That is a lot of money on wages down the drain.

Strikers.

People will get desperate for them in the run up to deadline day.  And we'll get top dollar then too.

Deadline is Aug 9.  Be patient.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah I'm a Derby fan. But I class myself as a realistic Derby fan. Not a deluded one which can't see any faults even when they're blindingly obvious,

I'm not flawless, therefore it seems people make more of a deal out of things when I'm wrong because they just can't stand it when I'm right - usually highlighting or a negative or making a bad prediction about something they are passionate about.

IMO we are still short of a promotion-challenging squad. Therefore without big changes, this season isn't going to be worth much in the long run when most of our current squad aren't going to be here in 2 years time.

We're just treading water until then, which is rather boring...

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE - BRIS STATES, 'I'M NOT FLAWLESS'.

Well thanks for clearing that up! ? 

As for the promotion challenging squad comment, did you not notice we made the play-offs last year? And would you not agree we have already strengthened the squad with the loans of Mount and WIlson, the return of Bryson, the purchase of Flo Jo and Marriott? I guess if Frank followed your prescribed steps we'd be guaranteed promotion, but then what would he know about football compared to you, Derby's very own Delphic Oracle?

As for us happy-clappers, well perhaps, as you put it, I am deluded, but this is a season that I'm looking forward to. In truth, it's been a while since that was the case. I think that's true of most Derby SUPPORTERS. I've not seen anyone with outlandish expectations, just a bunch of fervent Derby fans who are decidedly hopeful and excited about our prospects this season. What exactly is wrong with that and how am I / they therefore deluded? Southampton might have played poorly the other day but does that wholly denigrate Derby's performance? And if not, aren't folk entitled to think that they might be enjoying greater success and more entertaining football this year? Seems perfectly reasonable to me but feel free to explain why it's nonsense...

Lastly, referring to what you think should have been achieved over the course of this window (which, by the way, is still open!), we'd all have liked to have seen this year's side bristling with new and exciting young players (most of us think we have at least a few!) but how exactly was that meant to happen over the course of a single window. Do you yourself have buyers for all the deadwood as it appears that Derby don't.

I'd end his by saying 'enjoy the season', but I seriously doubt whether such things are possible in the Bris household. 

My guess is that we will use a lot of subs to ensure that we have the legs to play a hi-energy game for the full 90 minutes.

But to have new signings sat on the bench makes it harder for them to settle.

i hope our transfer incomings are virtually done or it could all go a bit tommy docherty.

we desperately need to shift some of the deadwood.

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I’d bet decent money that at least 2 of Martin, vydra, Nugent and Jerome will be gone before deadline day and if that’s the case it makes a nice change for derby to do their business first in the chain rather than the other way round. If they’re all still there then yes it would be a waste of money, fingers crossed they aren’t! 

9 minutes ago, Kirkbyram said:

I’d bet decent money that at least 2 of Martin, vydra, Nugent and Jerome will be gone before deadline day and if that’s the case it makes a nice change for derby to do their business first in the chain rather than the other way round. If they’re all still there then yes it would be a waste of money, fingers crossed they aren’t! 

Vydra goes, Waghorn comes in. 

Martin will be covered by player insurance if its true about his illness, if not I'd imagine he'd get a loan, keep Jerome as impact sub and added option. Nugent is old enough to be let go on a free to someone. Sorted ?

Just recent Sheffield United were favorites to take him from us and now we got Derby involved also and leading the pack.   Have to say this could well come to pass.    I don't get to see all that goes on within our club, if he's been offered a better salary or the manager and owners have vehemently asked him to stay on for next season is open to debate but got a feeling he may just move on before start of the new season.

Then you got the issue of what works for one team can replicate at another.   Point being Yes Waghorn is a useful player, has played his part for the team while he's been with us but could that productivity be utilized with another club side.    Would be a shame to see him go, (some of the potential replacements seem questionable) but as before you feel he'll be with a new employer before we're underway again in a short time.    Whoever that may be, only time will be the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Vydra goes, Waghorn comes in. 

Martin will be covered by player insurance if its true about his illness, if not I'd imagine he'd get a loan, keep Jerome as impact sub and added option. Nugent is old enough to be let go on a free to someone. Sorted ?

Easy this management lark!?

I was thinking Ipswich could play a blinder here and test us. Although our wages for the senior players are too far gone for them, they could in theory ask for Thomas, Bennett, Lowe & Sibley + money for Waghorn. Imagine the meltdown on here if that happened! Luckily, I don't think it would. 

37 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I was thinking Ipswich could play a blinder here and test us. Although our wages for the senior players are too far gone for them, they could in theory ask for Thomas, Bennett, Lowe & Sibley + money for Waghorn. Imagine the meltdown on here if that happened! Luckily, I don't think it would. 

In theory they could ask for absolutely anyone - In fact in practice they could ask for anyone

I imagine they'd ask for Hanson - Since he scored a belter against Norwich that time

Archived