World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

But the law - which is that the handball must be deliberate - is one thing.  Deciding what is deliberate, or not, is quite another and is not always black and white and is often a matter of individual interpretation - as discussions in TV studios confirm. In most cases of handball in the penalty area it is impossible to tell whether the player meant to do so deliberately. Refs guess or are mind readers or both.  Ditto diving/fouling - 'he touched me therefore I was entitled to go down'. Well yes, he did touch you, but if you fell over every time a fly lands on you then you'll spend more time on the ground than Chris Martin. Get up and play on!

Moving an arm in an unnatural way (not sure how you actually do move your arm unnaturally, but that's a different argument) is not the law it's in the guidelines to interpreting the law to try to help referees.

So interpreting some of the laws has never been consistent and even with VAR never will be, as this WC is showing.  And you could argue that having more refs involved might add to the inconsistency

This why I’ve often argued that the rule makers should make it more black and white. Give examples of what counts an unnatural movement is. You still might get small discrepancies, but generally you should be able to get 10 refs in a room watching the same footage and 9 of them should give you the same answer based on the guidelines. If they can’t, then the guidelines aren’t fit for purpose. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Easy.  Apart from the captain, no-one questions the ref, automatic yellow card for breaking this rule. Anyone behaving in an aggressive manner towards the ref: Automatic red card. Two or three games after the introduction of this and hey-presto; no more screaming hissy fits.  Seems to work in rugby and cricket.

It just needs the will to enforce it. T.V. companies might not like it though, because despite all their pious bleating and hand wringing, they love bad behaviour, gives 'em summat t' talk about at half-time. dunnit?

I totally agree with this. 

But it does make me wonder what would happen if the keeper is the captain. Has he got to come sprinting out of his goal every time he ref wants to have a word?

I do think VAR is the way forward, it has huge potential to clean the game out of diving, acting etc. an injustice. To make it a gentleman's game again where sportsmanship is a virtue. We need that change, for example, Iran-Portugal was so disgusting to watch I had to turn it off. Like way too many games before that. Problem is that VAR has been implemented extremely poorly and I guess without listening to the stakeholders.

Make the decision making transparent and quicker so the game doesn't die straight all the time and players would be happy. Show the incident with reasoning on big screens so fans at the stadium and at home could understand why the decision is made. That would be a good start.

Not sure which one makes me the bigger idiot. Being a romantic fool with my expectations how footballers should behave or asking for transparency from FIFA.

I was born at the wrong time.

Problems largely amount to subjective judgment, which for all the will in the world, remain subjective.

Sure infallible offside, goal line, in/out of play can all be done pretty easy.

Soothing out will help,but, by and large, I still hate it's intervention and would personally accept the human shortcomings, it is after all,only a game.

17 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I totally agree with this. 

But it does make me wonder what would happen if the keeper is the captain. Has he got to come sprinting out of his goal every time he ref wants to have a word?

Ok, not the captain, one nominated player.

VAR needs some work but also needs a change of perspective from fans.

Its not a "technology" in the same way goal line tech is, it cant be so exact.

All it is, is a replay for the referee. If the referee still gets it wrong, thats on him and not VAR.

12 hours ago, Carnero said:

Wow a ref finally disagrees with VAR ???

First one I reckon that has turned down a VAR penalty review.

I'm hoping that breeds a bit of confidence for more refs to do the same.

12 hours ago, Coconut said:

Well done to that ref. Still worrying that 5 other referees thought it should be a penalty though. Fuckwits.

The VAR refs I think have to be unanimous to refer a review (not that this has been clarified), but the ref on the pitch can also just choose to go and check it himself if there is a review in progress. They don't generally, because it's needlessly holding up the game, but he was surrounded by Nigerian players shouting at him so that may be what happened there.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I hate the players being allowed to surround the referees like they do. Have the referees got the power to stop it? If so why don't they? I would have them all yellow carded for the first offence and if they persist it would be another yellow.

Allow one VAR 'appeal' per side per match. If it's turned down, you lose the right to call for another video review during the game. Of course if the review is upheld, you still retain the right to have another one. Team captain is the only person who can 'appeal'.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Allow one VAR 'appeal' per side per match. If it's turned down, you lose the right to call for another video review during the game. Of course if the review is upheld, you still retain the right to have another one. Team captain is the only person who can 'appeal'.

Take the appeal from any player. The first one to say something to the ref will be counted as an appeal. Once a few of these are wasted, teams will soon have to discipline themselves to say nothing to the ref.

What is with this new thing of after a penalty awarded and the player is ready to take it, still swarming the ref and also players standing next to the person taking it trying put them off.  Seemed to be the same guy doing it to Kane on both penalties, he did get booked eventually but sportsmanship has taken a huge nosedive this tournament.

Lots of good suggestions here about how to improve VAR, it would slow down the game far less if players couldn't surround the ref and generally hold up every decision. It should also be used post match to punish anyone who obviously fakes an injury from a challenge. Also, if diving can get a yellow, why can't rolling around holding your face when you got a nudge in the back?

16 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

What is with this new thing of after a penalty awarded and the player is ready to take it, still swarming the ref and also players standing next to the person taking it trying put them off.  Seemed to be the same guy doing it to Kane on both penalties, he did get booked eventually but sportsmanship has taken a huge nosedive this tournament.

Lots of good suggestions here about how to improve VAR, it would slow down the game far less if players couldn't surround the ref and generally hold up every decision. It should also be used post match to punish anyone who obviously fakes an injury from a challenge. Also, if diving can get a yellow, why can't rolling around holding your face when you got a nudge in the back?

has there been a single booking for diving?  

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

has there been a single booking for diving?  

No - lots of diving acknowledged by referees, including a few gesturing the "dive" sign to explain why no foul has been given. 

Neymar's penalty got overturned by VAR due to a dive, and he ended that game with a booking, but I don't remember if he was booked for that dive or not.

If he wasn't, that's as clear as anything that they're obviously trying not to book people for it.

To be honest, the referees at this tournament have been generally card-light, which I like. I suspect its due to the "FFP Points" system - but imo the FFP points system is exactly the sort of thing that should be punishing teams full of divers. Think they should be far heavier handed in that respect.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Would take away the point of VAR imo, the whole point of it should be to ensure that the referee reaches the correct decision on the pitch.  The problem has been that many of the players have not used it before so therefore they will try to influence the referee, even though it’s actually pointless to do so.

Personally I think it’s worked well, one or two dubious penalties as the result but once again that isn’t the VAR that isn’t working, it’s the officials interpretation of the law.  Players have always surrounded the referee, certain ones can lose control but it should be down to FIFA to remind the countries of the consequences if they continue to do so.  

Archived