World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

look I will say this just once!, if you see a german don't mention the VAR!, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!.

Heil try not to mention it.

Sith Happens
9 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

They'd be Fuhrer-ious if you did.

Yeah true, but quite funny seeing a sauerkraut.

• 2 weeks later...

VAR should mean that divers will no longer prosper, nor should feigning injury or grappling at set-pieces.

Having said all that, diving is still allowed on an international level and that was shown by not booking Neymar.

Other dives where players purposely throw themselves at an outstretched leg is open to debate. There will never be a concrete yes or no on those situations.

In general VAR can work though. It can get the right calls on potential offsides, and pick up clear fouls when otherwise it may not have been obvious for the officials.

From an England national team perspective, it 100% should work in our favour.

VAR as it is won’t cut diving it, Neymar was at it last night still. Retrospective bookings for diving, imagine that, all games reviewed within 48hrs of finishing. If the player was issued a booking during the game for an incident, picks up the further yellow that would = a red card ban.

Imagine that.

Neymar.

El “Classico”

If they are serious about cutting it out the game, what a move that would be, these South American’s and Spaniards wouldn’t know what to do with themselves. You will still have your Suarez’s that have cannibalistic urges who need therapy not VAR, but your everyday scumbag like Neymar, Pepe can be wiped out.

Throw in any players surrounding the ref, calling for cards, asking for VAR, basically rid the game of the unsporting behaviour that’s plaguing the game. Send a message out now for the next generation of footballers to understand that if they want to be the next Tom Daley, swap your boots for a pair of speedos.

They will never cut out the "I lost a leg because he clipped my toe with his boot lace" type of fouls and injuries. It's too debatable how the slight touch effected the balance and who are you to say what hurts me and what doesn't.

All that Neymar backflipping because someone touched his ankle on the sidelines is here to stay. 

It's only when there's no contact you can stop it. Should be an instant red even after the final whistle. A red card for anyone bothering the ref would work too. Don't need VAR for that. 

But nobody does it. 

Nothing will happen to Neymar after last night's dive.

It amazes me you can get a yellow card so easy for a mistimed tackle that isn't dangerous but you can swear at the ref and get nothing. You can get in his face and shout. Nothing. You can do the Falcao swan dive. Nothing. It's impossible to get a red card for time wasting. 

Take your shirt off though...

Sending players off for diving with the assistance of VAR is the only way I see that being cut out completely.

The referee when we faced Columbia had no guts. He should have sent off 3-4 players but he didn’t have the balls. One of the players pushed the ref, how on earth wasn’t he gone for that! It’s okay VAR helping with the difficult decisions but the referees need to stand up for themselves. If the game was played in the championship, that sort of nonsense wouldn’t happen. 

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Sending players off for diving with the assistance of VAR is the only way I see that being cut out completely.

The referee when we faced Columbia had no guts. He should have sent off 3-4 players but he didn’t have the balls. One of the players pushed the ref, how on earth wasn’t he gone for that! It’s okay VAR helping with the difficult decisions but the referees need to stand up for themselves. If the game was played in the championship, that sort of nonsense wouldn’t happen. 

The problem is you have ex-players in the studio saying the ref has lost control - er no, the players lost control and surrounded the ref for over 3 minutes.  If the ref had then sent 2 or 3 off 'he' would have ruined the game. 

It needs FIFA to come out and say enough is enough to these sorts of things, take the power away from the players (and pundits) and give it to the refs.

Yeah I think the ref was very conscious of the occasion. If that's Man City v Leicester in a regular league game and it's Leicester doing that then I think cards would have come more freely. 

This is what happens when refs constantly have to be scrutinised  by replays etc. They become scared of making any decision that's not black and white. 

The big wigs need to say, "If players are trying to intimidate you or they are pushing their luck then card them and card them again. We'll back you"

Pundits need to take a look back at their careers too. Were any of them perfect players? No mistakes lads? So stop promoting referee bashing. Or tell Evra and Kilbane to duck off and get some refs on the panel. Seeing Kevin Kilbane destroy Vincent Kompany a couple of years ago on MOTD was the end of listening to pundits for me.

"His positioning here is terrible.." 

What? His position at the top of the Premier League where you've never been? Oh you meant on the pitch. Sorry Kevin, carry on. Dick

At the start of a new season it just needs FIFA or the FA to say that only the captain is allowed to approach the ref, anyone else gets an instant yellow.  A couple of weeks in, after the erm, less intelligent players have learnt the problem will be solved.

Similar with diving, at the start of a season say anyone that goes down without contact will get a red, minimal or engineered contact gets a yellow.  With VAR reviews it would clear up a lot of cheating in the first couple of weeks.

Or something like that, make it black and white and have players accountable for their actions.

World Cup 2018:  First time VAR used at a major tournament.

World Cup 2018:  Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain and several other Latin-American sides go home early.

Don't really like VAR, but it has to be said that it does seem to be weeding out the cheating bar-stewards. Just need to start sending off a few for screaming at the ref like petulant toddlers and we'll have a game worth watching again.

I agree with the pundits need to stop ref bashing. But fingers crossed VAR will cut out the silly mistakes and let the refs have more protection for 50/50 decisions.

People constantly bashing the referee at Derby games the majority of the time p*sses me off. I only get wound up if the referee is inconsistent with his decision making when it comes to dishing out yellow/red cards. Even then it's minor complaints. Players and managers need to get a grip now especially with VAR coming into place. "Officials cost us the game." How about the chances YOU wasted and mistakes that YOU made as a team? Drives me mad when I hear that in post match interviews. Mark Hughes is the worst for having a go at referees. Mostly to disguise his inept abilities as a manager.

In the England Croatia game the pundits were all on about Kane's miss hitting the post and he was "definitely" on side. In all the hullabaloo everyone missed the fact that the linesman flagging for "ball out of play" was actually signalling a very late offside at the beginning of the move. The proof was that the restart was about 8 yards out not the 6 yard area. 

Had it gone in there would have been so much trouble when it was disallowed.

8 hours ago, FindernRam said:

In the England Croatia game the pundits were all on about Kane's miss hitting the post and he was "definitely" on side. In all the hullabaloo everyone missed the fact that the linesman flagging for "ball out of play" was actually signalling a very late offside at the beginning of the move. The proof was that the restart was about 8 yards out not the 6 yard area. 

Had it gone in there would have been so much trouble when it was disallowed.

Would Kane's goal been disallowed if he had scored? After a VAR review it may have stood.

That's the beauty of VAR, instead of a perfectly good goal being flaged for off-side and every England fan feeling we had been robbed. The couple of minutes it takes to carry out the review would stop any argument about wether the original decision was right or not.

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Would Kane's goal been disallowed if he had scored? After a VAR review it may have stood.

That's the beauty of VAR, instead of a perfectly good goal being flaged for off-side and every England fan feeling we had been robbed. The couple of minutes it takes to carry out the review would stop any argument about wether the original decision was right or not.

But he hit the post, the numpty. 

Well have that replay for years to come, like Gaza’s being millimetres away from a tap in at the far post for a golden goal against Germany in the 96 semi. 

On 14/07/2018 at 08:26, TigerTedd said:

But he hit the post, the numpty. 

Well have that replay for years to come, like Gaza’s being millimetres away from a tap in at the far post for a golden goal against Germany in the 96 semi. 

‘Keeper saved it. 

Archived