World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I suspect that might be the wording of the rules ducking VAR over again. I think the foul was just outside the box, which doesn't make it one of the cases that VAR can involve itself in - unless it was also a red card, and there is a debate for that.

What about preventing a goal scoring opportunity? 

VAR is dookmed to be crap most of the time because it is manned by referees who are on the whole crap. We have only got VAR because refs are crap, so why staff it with even more of the incompetent bunglers. And talking if bungs (I nearly was!), some of the VAR decisions seem to be aimed at getting the right result rather than the right decision.

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

VAR is dookmed to be crap most of the time because it is manned by referees who are on the whole crap. We have only got VAR because refs are crap, so why staff it with even more of the incompetent bunglers. And talking if bungs (I nearly was!), some of the VAR decisions seem to be aimed at getting the right result rather than the right decision.

I disagree with this point. Yes of course with the pundits sat in their comfy seats watching replays from every angle in super slow mo you are going to find stuff the refs have made mistakes on.

It doesnt help with ex officials making a few quid by passing judgement on refereeing decisions either.

I am very anti var though, i can get a ref making a mistake, but when var officials do like in englands first game then i do worry why they arent making the decisions.

I am fed up with someone scoring then everyone sat waiting while someone decides if it was 3 millimeters offside or not.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

....some of the VAR decisions seem to be aimed at getting the right result rather than the right decision.

VAR does seem to be a very good way for FIFA to get the results that they would prefer, doesn't it?

e.g. The peno just given to Ronaldo.

Just now, JoetheRam said:

And people still think VAR is a good idea.

Except it is a good idea because if it is used properly, it substantially reduces the number of errors. The problem isn’t VAR itself, it’s the way it is being used by the referees.

Why is it VAR’s fault that the right decision isn’t always reached? It’s not VAR’s fault that the referees using it come to the wrong conclusion. As Gary Lineker said, it’s a matter of referee interpretation, the technology itself is good.

It will become more efficient upon referee training and the more it is used.

Archived