World Cup VAR

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Thing is i get referees making mistakes.

I dont like var BUT if we have it it should be fair, and last night wasnt, there is no excuse for making such mistakes with var, and this is a worry for me at one of the most corrupt world cups to be awareded i can only assume money is changing hands with the var officials to.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Yeah, not sure what game the VAR guys were watching last night - if Tunisia had a penalty then we should have had at least 2.  Last time I saw grappling like that was when Bucko was still here!

I think we should dispense with the pitch, the stadium, the fans, the players, the ref and the referee and assistants and just send a URL link to YouTube where 2 robots are live-streamed playing FiFa 18. No need to even leave your bedroom. Plug in your credit card details and you can even “purchase” the result you desire.

Real life is just so yesterday and real grass stinks and mud is dirty. ?

49 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Thing is i get referees making mistakes.

I dont like var BUT if we have it it should be fair, and last night wasnt, there is no excuse for making such mistakes with var, and this is a worry for me at one of the most corrupt world cups to be awareded i can only assume money is changing hands with the var officials to.

We have such a naive belief in technology. It doesn’t settle anything especially when run by people. Fact! 

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Yeah, not sure what game the VAR guys were watching last night - if Tunisia had a penalty then we should have had at least 2.  Last time I saw grappling like that was when Bucko was still here!

Agree on the fouls on Kane but interestingly saw a suggestion tonight that prior to Kane being fouled, Stones was fouling a Tunisian player.

Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s being offered up as a reason why the first smack down wasn’t given. No idea on the second, officialdom probably still rewriting the script.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

We have such a naive belief in technology. It doesn’t settle anything especially when run by people. Fact! 

Yes, you're right, it needs to be run by AI?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I think we should dispense with the pitch, the stadium, the fans, the players, the ref and the referee and assistants and just send a URL link to YouTube where 2 robots are live-streamed playing FiFa 18. No need to even leave your bedroom. Plug in your credit card details and you can even “purchase” the result you desire.

Real life is just so yesterday and real grass stinks and mud is dirty. ?

I thought that's what egaming was, and that everyone, football clubs included, were trying to get a slice of it

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Agree on the fouls on Kane but interestingly saw a suggestion tonight that prior to Kane being fouled, Stones was fouling a Tunisian player.

Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s being offered up as a reason why the first smack down wasn’t given. No idea on the second, officialdom probably still rewriting the script.

I don't particularly like VAR on principle and the Kane incident (plus the one where he was headlocked) are examples why.

It works well in cricket and tennis because both sports have regular and natural breaks in the rhythms of the games. The match is delayed but within its natural flow. Their umpires are mostly checking matters of fact rather than opinion.

In rugby union and league referees appear to use it after a try has been scored or for incidents where the game has already been stopped for another reason and in addition because referees are mic'd up everyone can hear what the decision is and more importantly, why (ditto cricket and tennis). 

Football has similar rhythms of play to rugby but  VAR fails because they don't allow fans and/or players to hear the decision making process and they don't appear to have decided when it should be used and how far back in play it should go, or clearly communicated that. What if VAR replays showed that the corner from which Kane was manhandled should have been a goalkick, or was taken from outside the corner quadrant or went out of play before it reached the area, should a penalty then still be awarded? And if a goalkick was given how would the fans know that was the reason (other than the goalie taking the kick?)

If, as I think it is (but I don't know), VAR is only supposed to be used to check a referee's decision once it has already been made, then it couldn't have been used for either of the Kane incidents because the referee didn't make any decision to give a foul ie he didn't stop play. Therefore there was no decision to check.

The argument against this is that he DID make a decision - he decided that there wasn't a foul and thus didn't stop play. The fact he was wrong is immaterial unless you're an England fan.

The only conclusion you can draw is that a system designed to help referees will make life harder and cause more controversy than if we left it to one fallible human being. There were about 8 qualified referees watching that match, 4 at the ground and 4 with a bank of TV screens in front of them. And still they got it wrong.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, sage said:

VAR worked perfectly then. Ruling out an offside that was almost impossible to spot in real time.

Yeah was offside,  but if impossible to tell in real time how can it be a clear and obvious error? 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah was offside,  but if impossible to tell in real time how can it be a clear and obvious error? 

The VAR is not for find fault, it is for getting the correct decision. Upon review, it was clearly offside. 

Sith Happens
Just now, sage said:

The VAR is not for find fault, it is for getting the correct decision. Upon review, it was clearly offside. 

But my understanding is that it should only be reviewed if its a clear and obvious error.

That wasn't as clear and obvious as kane being fouled.

Just now, Paul71 said:

But my understanding is that it should only be reviewed if its a clear and obvious error.

That wasn't as clear and obvious as kane being fouled.

I don't understand your understanding ?

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't understand your understanding ?

Var should only be checked if during real time the var official is under the impression a clear and obvious error has been made. The only way they can tell with that offside is in slow mo. 

It was right in the end but it needs to be consistent,  var officials cannot pick and choose when they can be bothered to review or not.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Var should only be checked if during real time the var official is under the impression a clear and obvious error has been made. The only way they can tell with that offside is in slow mo. 

It was right in the end but it needs to be consistent,  var officials cannot pick and choose when they can be bothered to review or not.

I would imagine in this instance that the linesman saw people in an offside position but wasn't sure if the ball touched them. The linesmen have been told not to flag if they aren't sure. The ref had is hand up very early. far earlier than VAR people could have told him to.

Sith Happens
Just now, sage said:

I would imagine in this instance that the linesman saw people in an offside position but wasn't sure if the ball touched them. The linesmen have been told not to flag if they aren't sure. The ref had is hand up very early. far earlier than VAR people could have told him to.

This is my gripe with var. I dont like that linesmen have been told not to flag.

An offside by 2 inches is not clear and obvious. Its a slippery slope. 

The next game could see the same thing and var dont bother. If its still down to individual opinions then we may aswell stick with the referee and his assistants.

I dont like var as you will probably gather. 

We have seen penalties given with var that were lesd obvious than kane being fouled so why bother?

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

This is my gripe with var. I dont like that linesmen have been told not to flag.

An offside by 2 inches is not clear and obvious. Its a slippery slope. 

The next game could see the same thing and var dont bother. If its still down to individual opinions then we may aswell stick with the referee and his assistants.

I dont like var as you will probably gather. 

We have seen penalties given with var that were lesd obvious than kane being fouled so why bother?

Nothing works perfectly when you first start.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, sage said:

Nothing works perfectly when you first start.

Agree,  so dont use it in the most prestigious championship until its sorted. 

34 minutes ago, sage said:

VAR worked perfectly then. Ruling out an offside that was almost impossible to spot in real time.

It did work perfectly then. But if it only works perfectly some of the time it isn't worth it. I also don't buy that that was impossible to spot by the lino.

Archived