World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain are light years ahead of Russia in quality and technique. But they have zero cutting edge and do not look like scoring. Not difficult to predict against a team set up with a clear structure and intent to defend and frustrate.

This would be a dull 0-0 had it not been two laughably bad moments of defending.

If Spain don’t show more urgency, Russia will complete the steal of the century.

I don't think there have been many decisions at this world cup where all forum members posting on this thread have been unanimous either one way or the other. Goes to show football is a game of opinions, and even with VAR some decisions will remain contentious. 

Is anybody secretly hoping Russia win? After all, they're on our side of the draw and they're an easier prospect than Spain.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think there have been many decisions at this world cup where all forum members posting on this thread have been unanimous either one way or the other. Goes to show football is a game of opinions, and even with VAR some decisions will remain contentious. 

Is anybody secretly hoping Russia win? After all, they're on our side of the draw and they're an easier prospect than Spain.

Aye - there will always be people who disagree with decisions.

That was a stonewall penalty though, anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively wrong ?

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Is it just me keeps nodding off watching Spain?

Not just you, the thought of another 30 minutes is making reorganising my sock drawer instead quite tempting 

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've head a theory that he might have lived with street dogs at one point when young and penniless hence the biting....

...or perhaps he just thinks a prime bit of footballer is the ideal mid game snack.

I prefer the theory hes a petulant spoilt brat who cant handle when things dont go his way. Shouldnt even be playing anymore, should have been banned for life.

53 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It was the most obvious handball I've seen for ages.

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Definite penalty.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Clear handball.

Some presumably then, there is never any incidence of ball to hand, since he had his back to it and couldn't possibly have got out of the way?

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I prefer the theory hes a petulant spoilt brat who cant handle when things dont go his way. Shouldnt even be playing anymore, should have been banned for life.

Well you can believe he bites just because he's like that or is spoiled. I think there's definitely something not normal in it - spoiled or horrible footballers are ten a penny.

Just now, RamNut said:

Some presumably then, there is never any incidence of ball to hand, since he had his back to it and couldn't possibly have got out of the way?

As the ball is coming towards him, his arm is already on its way back down by his side. As it passed over him, he lifted it back up. He knew what he was doing. Deliberate. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The rule is deliberate handball or having your arm or hand in an unusual position which might increase the risk of the ball hitting it (or something like that).

Any team which can keep a tight defensive structure, and counter with pace will easily beat this Spanish team.

They have no real threat from crosses in open play, so sitting back against them just makes Spain go from side to side for ages before pumping a hopeful ball into the box.

I reckon France or Brazil with the pace and quality they have on the break would kill them.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well you can believe he bites just because he's like that or is spoiled. I think there's definitely something not normal in it - spoiled or horrible footballers are ten a penny.

Its not normal, but whatever the reason if you or I went upto a work colleague and did it we wouldnt still be in the job.

First time he did it you accept it might be a one off, suspend him. Second time give him a ban and a warning saying look do this again and you are banned for life. Third time, ban him for life.

Archived