John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2018 at 11:28, DcfcJB said:

Would very much take him after what I saw yesterday. We missed Davies far too much yesterday. 

How would Terry or Davies have prevented the constant straight runs at the defence stemming from an anonymous midfield?

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

How would Terry or Davies have prevented the constant straight runs at the defence stemming from an anonymous midfield?

Midfield isn’t right. All the talk of fitness and energy. Midfield isn’t good enough. Need a mobile dm which I hop evans is. Also players need to be capable of passing to their own players. Can’t see this style working unless we all warn how to pass a ball first 

17 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Midfield isn’t right. All the talk of fitness and energy. Midfield isn’t good enough. Need a mobile dm which I hop evans is. Also players need to be capable of passing to their own players. Can’t see this style working unless we all warn how to pass a ball first 

We just need a composed one that get keeps the ball and plays the correct pass, dictates play. Huddlestone will fill that role and the team will hopefully click. We gave the call away far too much against Leeds where we had players forward, just needed a good pass and we could have been in. Instead it was straight to a Leeds player and counter attacked us. 

44 minutes ago, cannable said:

Davies and Terry would have both seen the danger, and commanded the midfield a bit more, huddlestones experience was also missed in midfield. 

Carson/Davies/Huddlestone 3 players I think that win us games with their leadership, communication and ability. They were all immense last season just unfortunately we had no youth or creativity around them, this year those 3 plus the players we have now brought in will make us a force. Obviously missing both of those against Leeds isn’t the only problem but I do think we could have got a result with their know how and the qualities they bring. 

It was small Margins against Leeds. If we made the right decisions and passes it would have been a different contest, we had players giving the ball away in defence and midfield and leaving us open to a counter attack. Leaders such as Terry and Davies can stamp those things out early doors. 

1 minute ago, DcfcJB said:

Davies and Terry would have both seen the danger, and commanded the midfield a bit more, huddlestones experience was also missed in midfield. 

Carson/Davies/Huddlestone 3 players I think that win us games with their leadership, communication and ability. They were all immense last season just unfortunately we had no youth or creativity around them, this year those 3 plus the players we have now brought in will make us a force. Obviously missing both of those against Leeds isn’t the problem but I do think we could have got a result with their know how and the qualities they bring. 

It was small Margins against Leeds. If we made the right decisions and passes it would have been a different contest, we had players giving the ball away in defence and midfield and leaving us open to a counter attack. Leaders such as Terry and Davies can stamp those things out early doors. 

Small margins? Leeds were a couple of classes above. They were popping up with spare men all over the show, creating 3 v 2 overloads down the sides, finding Phillips or Saiz inside when we matched them out wide. Their pressing killed any attempt at playing. 

The best an on pitch manager could have done would have been to tell Ledley to just screen and the rest of the team to sit deep. 

That then raises the question, can players overrule the manager’s instructions? 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

Small margins? Leeds were a couple of classes above. They were popping up with spare men all over the show, creating 3 v 2 overloads down the sides, finding Phillips or Saiz inside when we matched them out wide. Their pressing killed any attempt at playing. 

The best an on pitch manager could have done would have been to tell Ledley to just screen and the rest of the team to sit deep. 

That then raises the question, can players overrule the manager’s instructions? 

We made them look like that, both our full backs were pushed on and they left players up, if players looked after the ball better and we worked it better it’s a different game, like I say someone like huddlestone keeps the ball well plays the right balls and keeps things tidy. Ledley didn’t offer anything and we were over run in the centre. Johnson put a shift in but kept loosing the ball. 

The game was won in the middle of the park, too many time we lost it there just crying out for a leader such as Davies to talk the youngsters through the game, telling them when to go and when to stay etc. 

As soon as those two are back we will be a match for anyone in the league. 

Also it has to be said, if mount scores to make it 2-2, it could have been very different - the crowd get behind the team more, the players get confidence to play and Leeds get nervous. 

What I am saying is we are not a million miles away from being a real force, it’s not like to can’t see flashes of brilliance, consistency will come and I’d bet it’s when we get Davies and Hudds back in. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Boycie said:

I bet he’s heard they’re favourites to win the title or something.

2nd in the league behind Zenit, with least amount of goals conceded, sounds a good gig. 

Him learning and speaking Russian, could rival Maclaren’s dodgy Dutch. Then again, abuse he’ll get at away grounds why bother, might as well close his ears and count the rubles.

Archived