John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Daily star says it true so must be. They also say frank on 2 million a year.

?

Lol. Dcfc negotiations skill to the fore....

"Well Mel, we know he turned down 300k"

"But we've got to show restraint and we got burnt when we made clement the highest paid championship manager on a mill"

"Hmmm....and frank has no experience whatsoever. And he doesn't have a framed Sergio ramos shirt"

"Soooo........going in low is justified then"

"Absolutely "

"2m pa?""

"Go  for it 

Lol?

What a load of plop is written. .

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Lol. Dcfc negotiations skill to the fore....

"Well Mel, we know he turned down 300k"

"But we've got to show restraint and we got burnt when we made clement the highest paid championship manager on a mill"

"Hmmm....and frank has no experience whatsoever. And he doesn't have a framed Sergio ramos shirt"

"Soooo........going in low is justified then"

"Absolutely "

"2m pa?""

"Go  for it 

Lol?

What a load of plop is written. .

Exactly. Probably some truth that he could get that with bonuses if he gets us up.

Some of the signings in recent years: Carson, Baird, Warnock, Shackell, Bent, Ledley, Davies, Nugent, Huddlestone, Anya, Jerome and now potentially Terry. What happened to scouting hidden gems like we did with Martin, Keogh, Russell and Bryson? Has someone at the club got a fetish for mature men or are they Dad's Army fans?

Good luck trying to play attacking football with Davies and Terry as the two centre backs. Any half competent team would open them up like a knife through butter. Not opposed to bringing Terry in as a coach but as a player absolutely no! 

I’d be surprised if terry Didn’t join us to be honest. Was initially sceptical of him coming as a player, and can understand those against it, but I’m coming round to his leadership qualities and acting as the link between Lampard and the  playing staff. If he drops his wages like he has to I think he’ll be decent, as long as the rest of the signings are younger.

In theory John Terry could be Frank’s Dave McKay. An experienced centre half coming to the end of his career to guide a team. If he has legs around him his experience will be great. His influence on players like Lowe, Elsnik and Guy could be huge.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Good luck trying to play attacking football with Davies and Terry as the two centre backs. Any half competent team would open them up like a knife through butter. Not opposed to bringing Terry in as a coach but as a player absolutely no! 

If we're relying on Davies and Terry (if he came as a player) to provide our attacking intent then you'd be right but I reckon Lampard just might play some other players to provide the threat. ?

37 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Keep reading comments about Terrys' leadership qualities - don't think Davies has done too badly in the captains' role so quite happy for that to continue, unless of course we're off-loading Davies?

This occurred to me. As part of a wider strategy I can see why signing jt is a shrewd move.

Imagine landing a couple  £m for Curtis and maybe the same or morefor keogh. 

Bring in jt to mentor some youth and ffp becomes a memory. ...

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If we're relying on Davies and Terry (if he came as a player) to provide our attacking intent then you'd be right but I reckon Lampard just might play some other players to provide the threat. ?

But it all links with each other. One of the reasons that Rowett was defensive was because he knew that Keogh and Davies would be left exposed on the counter attack if he played attacking and high up.  One slow centre back is fine as long as you have someone next to him who is very quick. Two slow centre backs is a killer unless a team is playing a deep block.

Terry has always struggled in his career when playing with another slow centre back. His best football came when he played alongside a quicker centre back (Gallas, Carvalho, Cahill).

Even at Villa he had a very quick centre back in James Chester next to him.

Just now, McLovin said:

Terry has always struggled in his career when playing with another slow centre back. His best football game when he played alongside a quicker centre back (Gallas, Carvalho, Cahill).

Maybe Frank will put Wizzie next to him?! Lol.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

But it all links with each other. One of the reasons that Rowett was defensive was because he knew that Keogh and Davies would be left exposed on the counter attack if he played attacking and high up.  One slow centre back is fine as long as you have someone next to him who is very quick. Two slow centre backs is a killer unless a team is playing a deep block.

Terry has always struggled in his career when playing with another slow centre back. His best football game when he played alongside a quicker centre back (Gallas, Carvalho, Cahill).

I wouldn't class Keogh as a slow centre back.

Just now, reveldevil said:

I wouldn't class Keogh as a slow centre back.

When he was at his best he was very quick but I noticed he is losing his speed (which was particularly evident against reading away) and he has had to adapt his game in certain aspects, which his natural as he is getting older.

One solution is to play Wisdom at centre back, like he did at Salzburg, as Roy Mac said above.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Keep reading comments about Terrys' leadership qualities - don't think Davies has done too badly in the captains' role so quite happy for that to continue, unless of course we're off-loading Davies?

I’d be very disappointed if he sold Davies. He was very good last year and has more years in him left than Terry. I imagine his wages would also be less than Terry’s.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I’d be very disappointed if he sold Davies. He was very good last year and has more years in him left than Terry. I imagine his wages would also be less than Terry’s.

Rowett signed Davies due to a clause.

If he has a similar one with us Rowett would know about it, so it may not be down to Frank.

I'd hope Curtis will stay too, great 1st season.

21 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Rowett signed Davies due to a clause.

If he has a similar one with us Rowett would know about it, so it may not be down to Frank.

I'd hope Curtis will stay too, great 1st season.

Totally agree, for me Davis was our best player last season, played every game, for me he is our perfect captain for next season, I would not swap Davis for Terry, Terry would never play as many games as Davis,  also Davis is 4 years younger and has more pace than Terry ever had.

If Stoke came in tomorrow for Curtis Davies with a 2 million plus bid, i'd say "thanks and goodbye", then laugh my way all the way to the bank for mugging them off twice within a month.

If we got Terry in a player/coach role, they'll be a queue of young players wanting to work with him. He's as respected as Lampard within the game. Had an absolutely brilliant season at Villa (look on their forums), they worshiped him there. Pretty sure he was in the EFL team of the season(?).

I guarantee he'll change opinions within a month if he was to join DCFC.

Archived