John Terry - Appointed assistant manager at Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

Based on the remit Lampard has, I fully expect that if Terry does join us we will be paying nowhere near the 85k Villa were. I'd be surprised if we were paying half that. FL would, I'd imagine, do everything he can to have Terry do him a favour in that regard. 

Maybe bonuses based on something? Or something to do with the coaching side that people usually have to pay for covered for him? Something like that. 

I wouldn't think he'd come if we'd have to fork out for him. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Left cb / right cb is a myth perpetuated by football manager games. If you're a top centre back then you're a top centre back. It doesn't matter whether you're left or right footed or prefer to play on either side it's about how you work in partnership. If you play three at the back then who is the centre centre back ? if it's neither of those two!?! 

I don’t think that’s true for Terry because whenever Terry played at right centre back(for Villas Boas, Benitez and at times for England), he was really poor. He was far better at left centre back.

Struggling to get behind the idea of John Terry if he joins the club in a playing role. All the positives people are highlighting, such as his influence on young players and in the dressing room, could quite easily be fulfilled through a coaching role. The idea of him taking the place in the starting XI of a young, promising central defender, bothers me a bit.

Also, I agree that JT played well for Villa last season. At times. But most of the time I watched him played, he looked slow and honestly quite limited. James Chester looked a lot better than him and I think Villa fans would largely tell you the same.

At the end of the day, I'll back Frank Lampard and trust him to bring in the right people - just don't expect me to get excited about fixing our ageing squad problem with a 37 year old. 

10 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

I would have him in a coaching role. He was slow in his 20s let alone now. He would struggle. 

No point having Davies, Keogh,  Pearce and Terry. We are not a nursing home. 

Would have thought Morris would come as 1st team coach. Given Terrys' ego I can't see him playing second fiddle to someone else.

1 hour ago, Pottig said:

Speaking to my Villa-supporting mate yesterday. He said Chester carried Terry pretty much all season. Take from that what you will.

No doubt he wasn’t bothered he left either, but would have loved him to stay.

One of them.

Present priority is to convince onlookers that the Rams are worth joining and that promotion is a possibility. John Terry makes it a racing certainty that the Rams mean business. not hype but substance. Lampard already has Harry and his dad helping. Everyone wants Frank to succeed. Getting some more money into the club will clinch it. Did QPR  or any other championship team ever pay their fine?

19 minutes ago, Boycie said:

In fact, didn’t Villa’s bad form correspond to Terry’s injury?

Looking at Villa's results they won 16, drew 8 and lost 8 with Terry 1.75 points per game.

Without him they won 8 drew 3 and lost 3 1.92 points per game So slightly better without him.

The overall effect is less than 2 points over the whole season though.

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Prefer it if he drove the coach.

I’d be interested to know if those in favour of signing him would still want to sign him if his name was Richard Dunne or Chris Samba?  In other words, would peope still want him if his name was not John Terry? Especially when it’s likely that he would be taking Davies’ position in the team.

28 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I’d be interested to know if those in favour of signing him would still want to sign him if his name was Richard Dunne or Chris Samba?  In other words, would peope still want him if his name was not John Terry? Especially when it’s likely that he would be taking Davies’ position in the team.

Just like saying why didn't we opt for Kevin Kilbane or Danny Murphy as manager. Terry and Lampard have won the champions league. You can't buy that experience.

Ultimately the decision is Frank's will we have a better chance of promotion with JT or without him. That's his call now.

Like him or loathe him you can't deny what he has achieved in the game and potentially what a influence he could be both on and off the field.

Time will tell. If he really wants to come finances will not be an issue as am sure he doesn't really need the money.

Archived