Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would like Nigel back as director of football and especially recruitment rather than as manager.....

Put a good young manager in under him and some consistency in all the important areas may follow.

Does he have any interest in that kind of role? Might see it as an insult to say we want you to pick our players but we don’t trust you to manage them. 

He’s still fairly young for a manager, probably feels like he has a lot more to give in the dugout. With the Forest interest he was quoted as saying he would like to manage Forest, but not for the foreseeable future. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

With the Forest interest he was quoted as saying he would like to manage Forest, but not for the foreseeable future. 

Waiting for them to drop out of the league so he can go there and take revenge for the nickname they gave him?

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

To be fair - Clough Jr is the only Manager we've had in recent memory that's inherited anything like what we have now, and made it work. Situation was actually worse. 

Great that all that hard work, and McClaren's went up in smoke.

I’m not sure I would describe 4 and a half years of treading water as making it work. Very good record in transfers apart from Sammon. But a poor manager. I’d have him as Dof but no where near good enough at management. ( P.S Dean Smith likes to work with a Dof ) 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Does he have any interest in that kind of role? Might see it as an insult to say we want you to pick our players but we don’t trust you to manage them. 

He’s still fairly young for a manager, probably feels like he has a lot more to give in the dugout. With the Forest interest he was quoted as saying he would like to manage Forest, but not for the foreseeable future. 

Thought it might actually be seen as a slight step up....and one with perhaps more inherent security....

I'd love Clough as DoF.

Made for it, but I doubt he'd see it that way.

What about Chris Coleman? Sunderland were a basket case, so I'm writing that off. 

3 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I’m not sure I would describe 4 and a half years of treading water as making it work. Very good record in transfers apart from Sammon. But a poor manager. I’d have him as Dof but no where near good enough at management. ( P.S Dean Smith likes to work with a Dof ) 

Improved league position every season, whilst excising the dead wood, reducing the wage bill and developing the youngsters. When you look at what he started with, and what McClaren ended up inheriting.....he was a rare example of a Derby County Manager accomplishing the mission he was given.

Im not convinced that he could have taken us much further, but he certainly laid a lot of the groundwork for what little success came later.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Thought it might actually be seen as a slight step up....and one with perhaps more inherent security....

Don’t see it, he has a job at a club who will be looking at bouncing back up to the Championship, inherent security is exactly what he has now with Ben Robinson.

Also wasn’t he totally against the idea of DOF’s when he was manager here? 

1 minute ago, David said:

Don’t see it, he has a job at a club who will be looking at bouncing back up to the Championship, inherent security is exactly what he has now with Ben Robinson.

Also wasn’t he totally against the idea of DOF’s when he was manager here? 

I don't know about the last bit,but I imagine he's the sort who would have resented it from the managers point of view...

Perhaps something for him further down the line.

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Read on one of those twitter fltransfers’things that suggested Martin O’Neill and to be honest I’m not against the idea....would make some sense 

Last time O'Neil managed a club team was Sunderland before he was sacked back in 2013. That's a long time out of the day to day running of a club team, not saying it's not possible but a huge risk!

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Last time O'Neil managed a club team was Sunderland before he was sacked back in 2013. That's a long time out of the day to day running of a club team, not saying it's not possible but a huge risk!

Good point that. Just always seen him as a good fit for us, think he’s spoken highly of the club before and has always praised Keogh, Hendrick and Christie when part of the ROI, also nearly ended up coming a couple of times to boot. I’d be happier with him than quite a few others suggested anyway!

I can't imagine that we will look overseas, so it'll be a manager from the Football League or someone with experience in this division.

In order of preference:

1) Nathan Jones

2) Dean Smith

3) Mark Warburton

4) Paul Cook

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Good point that. Just always seen him as a good fit for us, think he’s spoken highly of the club before and has always praised Keogh, Hendrick and Christie when part of the ROI, also nearly ended up coming a couple of times to boot. I’d be happier with him than quite a few others suggested anyway!

7-8 years ago I'd probably have said similar to you. That said I agree he's better than some of the dross on that list, even now!

Archived