Next manager, who would you like in charge?

B4ev6is

25 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

We probably weren't far off with that plan. Whoever comes in first needs to change the football on the pitch. It's massively important that we play good football.

If it's a 'Yes man' then it's important he's saying yes to someone who knows what they're doing. So maybe a DOF is important.

I don't envy Mel's situation at the moment - looks like it's an important time for Derby and I hope he pulls something out of the bag.

And if we didn't agree with the signings there would be calls to have a manager who is ultimately responsible. 

It's pretty simple to be honest, a really easy 3 step plan.

1) Win football games

2) Play in a style that does not offend

3) Get promoted

If you fail any step of that plan, well, we won't be happy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think Mick McCarthy is inevitable. Not that it's a bad thing, I mean the job he did at Ipswich despite never spending more than 750k on a player is remarkable. 

First season, Paul Jewell had Ipswich bottom of the league with one win in three months, he comes in and wins three in his first month. He finishes in a respectable 14th. This is with no money to spend, he signed DJ Campbell on loan in January who finished the club's top goalscorer that season. The season after he finished 9th, then he finished 6th (D. Murphy scored 27 league goals that season) & 7th the year after that. Unfortunately, I think it caught up a little bit, 16th last season & 12th this season. It's still not a bad record considering all his best players were shipped out from under him (at least for decent fees) and he had barely any transfer revenue to work with. 

Admittedly, he is far from my first choice. It just depends on how tight our belts actually are. 

5 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

I'm not a betting man but Lampard has been suspended by Skybet - can anyone explain this?

Given he is no longer in the running for the Ipswich job, I really hope it doesn't mean there is something in it, definitely not the man for the shop?

I also saw this and I’m not sure what it means? 

Hi guys , long time reader on here just never posted before. I think the next manager appointed will really show us what important to Mel.. I personally think Mick McCarthy may be a decent appointment, he gets a lot of stick for playing terrible football but he did a decent job with limited resources at Ipswich. There's nobody realistically available that really excites me, has anybody else thought Frank Lampard may be a decent outside bet .. he seems very knowledgeble, has good contacts and know doubt the players would respect him. I know its a risk but he's worked under some great managers, plus he's pulled out of the Ipswich running so maybe he knows something? 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm starting to think Mick McCarthy is inevitable. Not that it's a bad thing, I mean the job he did at Ipswich despite never spending more than 750k on a player is remarkable. 

First season, Paul Jewell had Ipswich bottom of the league with one win in three months, he comes in and wins three in his first month. He finishes in a respectable 14th. This is with no money to spend, he signed DJ Campbell on loan in January who finished the club's top goalscorer that season. The season after he finished 9th, then he finished 6th (D. Murphy scored 27 league goals that season) & 7th the year after that. Unfortunately, I think it caught up a little bit, 16th last season & 12th this season. It's still not a bad record considering all his best players were shipped out from under him (at least for decent fees) and he had barely any transfer revenue to work with. 

Admittedly, he is far from my first choice. It just depends on how tight our belts actually are. 

He would definitely be a safe pair of hands to deal with the inevitable cost cutting. He also knows how to get the best out of Tom Lawrence. I wouldn't be too upset if he became our manager. Thinking back, who was excited when Jim Smith became our manager? McCarthy would be a similar type of appointment I think.

Would prefer Paul Cook, Martin O'Neill or Dean Smith though.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

879B7689-7258-4AB2-B8FC-6D977237EF01.png

If it was indicative that Lampard was getting the job, or had got the job, they would suspend the whole market rather than just one candidate. This suggests he is going elsewhere in some capacity and that will be announced or that they've taken a comparatively large bet on it and it's being looked at. Either way he's not coming. 

Heard from a mate that we've had an approach accepted to speak to Dean Smith, he wants to speak to Derby but it's all being kept quiet as if he doesn't get or accept the job then they want him to remain at Brentford. 

May or may not be true - what it does make me realise is that we were very quick to point out that Rowett had requested to speak to Stoke... MM effectively forcing GR's hand and ensuring there was no way back. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

If you listened to Ed Dawes on RD phone in last night you would have heard Gary’s remit was allegedly changed from when he first joined 

I missed hearing this what was said and by who?

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Speak to any Ipswich fan about how dire the football was. He’s stuck in the dark ages, still buying players from Wolves. No thanks. 

Archived