Chris Martin

Waffle

54 minutes ago, richinspain said:

What exactly have you seen that makes you more worried about Rowett? A newspaper has reported that QPR will make an offer of 500k. They have neither offered, nor have we (Rowett) accepted 500k.

The fees being banded around for Vydra for one. The pitiful amount we got for Hughes last year gives me enough evidence to be concerned that we could make similar mistakes in the market this year. Perhaps we won’t accept it and my fears will be unfounded, but our negotiations in recent years do not give the impression of a team who knows the market. As I say I suspect it may be higher up than Rowett at board level, but somethings wrong either way up if teams think offering 500k for Martin is even worth a phone call.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

People are deluded to think we'd get anything near what we got 2 years ago after two very average seasons. The problem with Martin is that he only plays well in a particular formation with particular players. He's technically not a good footballer at all, I'd be pleased if we got over a million for him. 

Your last paragraph is quite funny. The problem with Martin is that he plays well, scores goals and brings others into the game when players pass to him anywhere below his chin. Unfortunately we have a manager who favours thumping the ball in The Hague direction of the corner for others to chase after. 

When Vydra leaves we will need to replace them goals with a guy who can score 20 a season ( if given the ball) wait a minute we have one - Chris Martin! - we shouldn’t do any financial deals with QPR on principal as they cheated with FFP and have not been punished yet but if they want Butterfield! 

Seriously we should use Martin if we are not pandering to finding a position for Vydra in the side - good centre forwards are hard to find and we have one and chris martin is worth more than a third game of a Jerome who is way older in football terms 

8 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m sure I’ve read in the past then when players move, unless a player has requested to move their current contract has to be paid up. So if that’s the case £500k wouldn’t even buy out his contract? Wouldnt be surprised to him join QPR, Itl be more than £500k though.

No that’s not the case. 

27 minutes ago, Derbados said:

500k?? Is that some sort of sick joke?

anything under £1.5 million is a farce, we love to sell for peanuts so I wouldn’t at all be suprised 

buy high, sell low. . . It’s the Derby way

We bought him for zero.  If we sold him for 500k (never mind the loan fees) that isn't buying high, selling low

2 minutes ago, feisty said:

We bought him for zero.  If we sold him for 500k (never mind the loan fees) that isn't buying high, selling low

All true but replacing a proven centre forward with £500,000 is a lot more difficult 

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All true but replacing a proven centre forward with £500,000 is a lot more difficult 

Agreed. I think we'll sell Vydra (10mn), Martin (500k), Blackman (500k to 1mn if pre agreed) and Bryson (500k). Maybe Thorne to QPR on loan. 

I think we'll  buy Winnall (I wouldn't but I think Rowett will) and maybe a winger for 3mn combined

Clearly 500k is a poor offer, but generally speaking I agree with people saying it might be worth accepting a low offer if it clears his full wage off the bill.

if it was me I’d be inclined to accept a low offer up front but with decent performance related bonuses. Then if he does regain form (and under Mac is his best bet I’d have though) we’ll cash in on it 

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

500k, fantastic. Think it’s time to move him on as he’s not the player he once was, but we’ve gotta get more than that for goodness sake! How will we replace him with that!

The more I see the more I worry that Rowett has absolutely no idea of the market... or someone doesn’t certainly it may be higher up. Think this will undermine our future more than tactics and who we decide comes and goes...

Why would replace someone that's spent the last 2 seasons on loan? Not really replacing much

Not surprised really. 

This football club keeps getting taken to the cleaners with transfer fee’s in and out. Why would it change now. Happened with Hulse too. 

Laughable fee but we’ve made our own bed and need to get unwanted players out the door. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Not surprised really. 

This football club keeps getting taken to the cleaners with transfer fee’s in and out. Why would it change now. Happened with Hulse too. 

Laughable fee but we’ve made our own bed and need to get unwanted players out the door. 

The problem with the potential reduced sale price is because of his wages, we only have our previous poor decision making to blame for this.

Archived