Do the club lack a true director of football/chief scout with nous?

With what has happened at Wolves this season and their much talked about link with Jorge Mendez it got me thinking. When was the last time we had someone to work alongside the manager who could really make things happen for the budget available? Getting 2 champions league wonderkids to play championship football is an incredible achievement regardless of budget.

i think it affects both ends though aswell... there were some pretty decent fees paid for some bang average to useless players. There were clubs out there with money and about as much sense as we had when we flaunted stupid money about. Did we take advantage and offload the deadwood? No. Is it easy? No. But do we have the expertise to even hope it will happen? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough and George Burley both had good scouting teams and things have gone rapidly downhill since both of them. I assume we just throw a bunch of names into the air and hope we get someone good at the moment - we are also only allowed to look in England for players and when I say England I mean Championship and above.

The scouting system needs a complete overhaul, but I can't see it happening.

Simple answer, yes we do. It’s my, potentially unpopular, view that recruitment should be heading up by a different person to the manager. Clearly there has to be links, but provided they are both brought in under the same philopshy, the set up should work. Finding and buying players is much different to coaching them, and they should be separate teams of people working to each end.

11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Nigel Clough and George Burley both had good scouting teams and things have gone rapidly downhill since both of them. I assume we just throw a bunch of names into the air and hope we get someone good at the moment - we are also only allowed to look in England for players and when I say England I mean Championship and above.

Wasn't Murdo Mckay something to do with the signings made under Burley ?

4 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Burley now he did... idiakez, rasiak both frees plucked from the unknown! 

Clough good but never stepped outside of the east mids and Scotland and was very hit and miss. Too many players chased for multiple transfer windows to not make enough appearances to say clough was in that territory

Interestingly these players and Reich and Bisgaard etc all signed the last time we had a director of football. I won’t say much about who because the least said the better but proves the point having a focus on recruitment has sealed some of the best signings in recent history.

1 million % Morris is a good business man but not a good footballing brain, we need a good scout with a proper plan, the signings we’ve made recently anyone could have scouted them!! Morris needs 3/4 good people to help him the run the club! 

22 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I remember at the fan forum at the Old Bell this time last year. Morris said they interviewed a DoF and him and Gary both liked him but then Gary realised he didn't want one. Oh hindsight.

Yes, it was the guy from Reading we were after, but then pulled out. 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

And to think the level of bitching that went off on here by many cos Nigel's brother Simon was the main scout ......... 

shame clement didn't have a similarly well educated brother 

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

With what has happened at Wolves this season and their much talked about link with Jorge Mendez it got me thinking. When was the last time we had someone to work alongside the manager who could really make things happen for the budget available? Getting 2 champions league wonderkids to play championship football is an incredible achievement regardless of budget.

i think it affects both ends though aswell... there were some pretty decent fees paid for some bang average to useless players. There were clubs out there with money and about as much sense as we had when we flaunted stupid money about. Did we take advantage and offload the deadwood? No. Is it easy? No. But do we have the expertise to even hope it will happen? 

Not sure it's an incredible achievement that Wolves managed to buy players way too good for this league as their super agent has business links with the Wolves owners.

It's a bit like Wolves paying Wolves to sign players.

Archived