Do the club lack a true director of football/chief scout with nous?

On 16/05/2018 at 21:52, NottsRam77 said:

And to think the level of bitching that went off on here by many cos Nigel's brother Simon was the main scout ......... 

shame clement didn't have a similarly well educated brother 

I’m not praising that clough era... it was just as bad just lower risk and bought a lot of players. The success rate was still poor and the number of players we signed and turned over were too high. They were just lower risk names so nobody remembers e.g. Liam dickinson

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We certainty lack something in the scouting department in 2 places.

1- we dont find lower league gems and

2 - we dont find overseas gems.

solution - get hold of Bristol City’s scouting department , they have been excellent at both of theses for years.

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I’m not praising that clough era... it was just as bad just lower risk and bought a lot of players. The success rate was still poor and the number of players we signed and turned over were too high. They were just lower risk names so nobody remembers e.g. Liam dickinson

Clough didn't sign Liam dickinson

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Clough didn't sign Liam dickinson 

Yeah but no but yeah but no.

??

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Personally think Clough did really well with his signings, all managers have failures, even Alex Ferguson,

At least on the most part Cloughs failiures were mostly low risk, probably his worst value signing was Connor Sammon.

Never did I feel like we had a bloated squad of expensive failures under clough and those that didnt succeed like Maguire were moved on with relative ease.

On 20/05/2018 at 15:24, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

wasnt he a jewel signing ?  Lol

On 20/05/2018 at 15:24, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Liam Dickinson was Jewell

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Clough successes - Brayford, Barker, Coutts, Shackell, Keogh, Russell, Bryson, Martin, Grant, Ward, Forsyth Buxton

He had some failures notably Sammon, but that list of successes ain’t bad.

Chris Evans on the other hand as DoF - oh dear

Don't forget Eustace.

Our recruitment has obviously been terrible for a while but that isn't the priority. I remember a time when Sam Rush said we were the envy of other teams because our wage bill was all out there on the pitch. Not anymore! Last season it was out playing for other teams who couldn't afford to pay our players themselves. Our squad is bloated and we must sell.

We need a DoF to shift 7 or 8 of the senior pros in good financial deals. Our retained list had 28 first teamers, 19 U23s (including the likes of Elsnik, Guy, Vernam, Babos, Zanzala etc), and even one of the U18s (Max Bird) played for the first team last season. We keep bringing in more players than we move on and that is what appears to have made the current position unsustainable.

When the new manager comes in he needs to ascertain very early who wants to play for him and who he wants, and the club need someone who can shift at least 5 more players than we buy - I'd happily have it as 8 more players than we buy, but that's unrealistic.

That way the club can breathe again, both financially but more importantly there becomes a point to having an expensive academy because those players can get on the bench or in the team each week. Which immediately multiplies their value tenfold allowing the academy to pay its way. We train these young lads to be enormously skillful but instead of playing them we then buy in aging pros who can't control or pass a football.

On 16/05/2018 at 20:34, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

With what has happened at Wolves this season and their much talked about link with Jorge Mendez it got me thinking. When was the last time we had someone to work alongside the manager who could really make things happen for the budget available? Getting 2 champions league wonderkids to play championship football is an incredible achievement regardless of budget.

i think it affects both ends though aswell... there were some pretty decent fees paid for some bang average to useless players. There were clubs out there with money and about as much sense as we had when we flaunted stupid money about. Did we take advantage and offload the deadwood? No. Is it easy? No. But do we have the expertise to even hope it will happen? 

No chance of anything like that happening it DCFC, unless any of the chairmans close or extended family have connections with top clubs in Europe. Actually I doubt they even have contacts with top clubs in Derbyshire.....

Archived