Fulham F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

34 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Ok we were second best to a good team, however there were chances at 0-0, 1-0 ,2-0 and even in the last few minutes Keogh had a chance at the far post. The tie was definitely not lost in the first leg. Literally or metaphorically. Just seems a moronic sentence to type.

I understand it's an emotional night for all of us, but moronic and foolish is a bit harsh.

You can disagree with me, but we've paid for a criminal lack of ambition over two legs. We worked hard but there was a lack of quality, a lack of ambition, a lack of bravery and it was there for all to see. On Friday, we deserved to win the match, as we took our one chance of note, but we didn't do enough to convince anyone that we wanted to win the tie. After all, we took Vydra and Jerome off after 65 minutes on Friday and surrendered the initiative.

Fulham are good, but they are not so good that we should be sitting on a one-goal lead and defending for our lives like we are several levels below them. We paid them way too much respect over the two legs - too concerned about trying to stop them, and as a result we were just enduring a stay of execution.

We all know that Rowett is very pragmatic and I would have been the first one on here to congratulate him had we seen the tie out, but we were on a hiding to nothing with this strategy.

Fulham were absolutely comfortable tonight at both ends of the pitch. Did their keeper have a save to make? Did their defence have to sweat? Not that I can remember. Your use of the word chances is quite liberal, because Fulham never looked in danger and we never looked like scoring.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, its certainly got spicy on here since full time!

First things first - Fulham thoroughly deserved to go through & are clearly a cut above us. No shame in that.

Secondly, whilst the style of football they play is easy on the eye, that isn't to say our tactics were doomed to fail. Unfortunately where we're coming unstuck is with quality in the final 3rd & basic retention of the ball. Its poor game management from the players on the field. I lost count of the amount of sloppy passes/weak attempts at flick ons made tonight - everyone was culpable & it just resulted in the ball constantly coming back to us.

In both playoff games, we've had plenty of counter attacks but other than Jerome's goal at PP, I can't remember a shot on target from all of these breaks (the efforts we had all coming from broken down set pieces). Can't fault the effort tonight, it was excellent. Can't fault the tactics or the formation, that wasn't why we lost. We need to be much more clinical to play this way & expect to succeed against the better sides. 

I'm sure everything i was going to say has already been said, so I would like to focus on something that took place after the game.

A group of about 50 Fulham fans charged at the away end. And then a bunch of Derby fans charged down the stand to get at them.

Grow the **** up, the lot of you!

There were families with kids trying leave after the initial charge only to be met by a tidal wave of fans from the upper section wanting to give it large.

Yeah the Fulham fans shouldn't be running at you and giving it large, but show some consideration for your surroundings. 

It's very fortunate that no-one appeared to be hurt. Absolute knuckleheads, on both sides of the divide.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I understand it's an emotional night for all of us, but moronic and foolish is a bit harsh.

You can disagree with me, but we've paid for a criminal lack of ambition over two legs. We worked hard but there was a lack of quality, a lack of ambition, a lack of bravery and it was there for all to see. On Friday, we deserved to win the match, as we took our one chance of note, but we didn't do enough to convince anyone that we wanted to win the tie. After all, we took Vydra and Jerome off after 65 minutes on Friday and surrendered the initiative.

Fulham are good, but they are not so good that we should be sitting on a one-goal lead and defending for our lives like we are several levels below them. We paid them way too much respect over the two legs - too concerned about trying to stop them, and as a result we were just enduring a stay of execution.

We all know that Rowett is very pragmatic and I would have been the first one on here to congratulate him had we seen the tie out, but we were on a hiding to nothing with this strategy.

Fulham were absolutely comfortable tonight at both ends of the pitch. Did their keeper have a save to make? Did their defence have to sweat? Not that I can remember. Your use of the word chances is quite liberal, because Fulham never looked in danger and we never looked like scoring.

Did you walk away from Pride Park on Friday with the feeling the tie was lost?

I walked away with thousands of fans celebrating a hard fought win. Vydra was took off as Fulham we’re pressing and didn’t have the defensive capability needed at the time and Jerome had run himself into the ground. I don’t think it was anything to do with a lack of ambition.

53 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Good point this. A number of posts were made post transfer window slump and you only have to look at mitrovich going to them in January to see what happens when you get it right. The future does look a bit cloudy, Is it likely Huddlestone and Davies will have as good a season (I’m speaking realitvley to our own team) next season? Vydra has been top scorer but isn’t first choice? Jerome has had a decent run of late but how likely is it that he’s going to be a top six striker given he is 31? Does Lawerence look like he is committed to developing into a top championship player or does he have an air that he thinks he is already above that? Is this one too many failed seasons for Keogh, especially at his age? After two seasons of mostly downs is Bradley Johnson likely to be a driving force in a side pushing for promotion? Do any of our academy prospects look likely to cement a first team place? Will there be suitors of newly promoted clubs sniffing around Carson?

Whtever the answers to those questions the real concern for me there is so many questions to  answer and given Mel’s comments comments earlier in the season that we won’t be adding too much to the squad this summer as there is a belief that we have a strong foundation in place, I think were in for some challenging seasons ahead. Hope I’m wrong.

I agree, I just don't understand the transfer policy. Why spend so much on one player (Lawrence) and then change completely to only buying older players. I do wonder if Sam Rush has left a hole in the transfer operations. Look at Fulham, every one of there players best system is the one they play. Lawrence probably looked at Fulham tonight and wished he was playing as one of there wingers. He's wasted in this team. They should build the team around him in my opinion and sell the rest (If that's possible). 

I echo Leedscityram somewhat. We gave it our all but it ultimately wasn’t enough. Fulham are a better side, with better players so I’ve no complaints. Don’t get me wrong, I’d have been overjoyed with seeing it through. But, it could have been more if not for Scott. We also could have had a goal or two with a quality final ball. Clear to me we rely a little too much on huddz, who was tiring and giving away a few sloppy balls towards the end. 

We’d have got battered most weeks in the prem had we gone up this season. I will v happily, yet slightly solemnly take being in the champ next season, looking forward to bringing in some new, young, energetic players, blooding some of the academy and working towards going up and staying up. 

Lastly, well played Fulham, deserved the win and hope you do well in the final. 

Onwards and upward. 

COYR ??????

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet on this, but i think Palmer showed why he hasn't been on the team - flatters to deceive a lot, clearly talented but daft booking and still didn't create a single clear cut chance and was on totally different wavelength to hid team mates. I'm not saying bringing on Ledley or Hanson would've been better at that point, but I can really see why Rowett didn't really use him much, wrong player for this team. Still think Vydra should'vr started but that's a different grumble. 

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Fulham deserved it, great passing and movement, quality frontman and a Will Hughes clone in the middle. Unfortunately as I've said before we've become the Cliff Thorburn of the championship trying to grind teams into submission.

Now there's a name I've not heard for yonks!

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet on this, but i think Palmer showed why he hasn't been on the team - flatters to deceive a lot, clearly talented but daft booking and still didn't create a single clear cut chance and was on totally different wavelength to hid team mates. I'm not saying bringing on Ledley or Hanson would've been better at that point, but I can really see why Rowett didn't really use him much, wrong player for this team. Still think Vydra should'vr started but that's a different grumble. 

The different wavelength point showed itself a couple of times, the best example was when he cut in from the left and tried to leave it in front of Vydra who just didn’t read it. But he did beat his man on the right and drop a perfect cross onto weimann’s head 5 mins or so into his game. It was a pretty good chance, just needed someone who is more proficient with their head.

7 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

The different wavelength point showed itself a couple of times, the best example was when he cut in from the left and tried to leave it in front of Vydra who just didn’t read it. But he did beat his man on the right and drop a perfect cross onto weimann’s head 5 mins or so into his game. It was a pretty good chance, just needed someone who is more proficient with their head.

Ah, yes, there was that one, fair point.

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Fulham deserved it, great passing and movement, quality frontman and a Will Hughes clone in the middle. Unfortunately as I've said before we've become the Cliff Thorburn of the championship trying to grind teams into submission.

Surely more Jimmy White - keep falling at the final hurdle .

As Fulham finished third I suppose I should be thinking they deserve to go up now we cant -  however something about there fans bugs me greatly.  I can almost see them buying up great swathes of the Derbyshire from the sale of a one bedroom flat in Hammersmith on one of these property programmes so stuff you Tarquin and Gerald  .    Can't be Boro due to there red dog polluted attack and Pulis .  Grudgingly take Villa out the three although that stings a bit as I don't think two seasons is enough suffering for a bunch of fans with such divine right syndrome.

In fact cancel the playoffs now -  just like North Korea at the world cup, if we can't win no one can .

JUST got home.

What a disappointing result, followed by unsavoury and disrespectful scenes towards our supporters from Fulham idiots; then a mix up with stewards/traffic/Fulham over the disabled supporters coach left us all at side of road for well over an hour before we finally got picked up.

One bright spot, had a chat with Nuge and his family and gave him a hug after game while we were hanging about. Other members of team gave their shirts to various fans. They all looked gutted. 

Not a night to remember. 

2 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Did you walk away from Pride Park on Friday with the feeling the tie was lost?

I walked away with thousands of fans celebrating a hard fought win. Vydra was took off as Fulham we’re pressing and didn’t have the defensive capability needed at the time and Jerome had run himself into the ground. I don’t think it was anything to do with a lack of ambition.

What was there to celebrate? It was only the halfway point of a two legged tie. There was still plenty of work to be done. And believe me, as someone living and working in Naples who has recently witnessed Napoli's title bid go up in flames, I know all too well the dangers of celebrating too much too soon.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the win but also disappointed that we didn't show more quality and more positive intent and at least focus on posing Fulham more problems, rather than getting so wrapped up in the problems they could cause us.

Knowing our style and knowing Gary's tendencies, the overwhelming feeling was one of disappointment and I had resigned us to defeat. I just thought we hadn't done enough and I was struggling to see how we could possibly advance from this position. Fulham are so positive, so attack-minded and so free-scoring. We, in contrast, are not.

Of course, we are not privy to Rowett's mindset and decision making process at key times, but if you are right in your thinking, then it obviously points to a lack of ambition. Gary was trying to stop Fulham and protect what we had, rather than encouraging the team to push on for more. Bringing on two out of sorts and out of favour players in Anya and Nugent wouldn't give Burton a fright, never mind Fulham. Especially if it's at the expense of an in-form Jerome and our best player Vydra.

It continued into the second leg. Jokanovic must have been rubbing his hands in glee at Rowett's decision to bench Vydra - our top scorer and most dangerous player - in our most important game of the season. While Rowett was trying to throw a tactical curveball, Jokanovic and his players had their tails wagging. They knew we had absolutely nothing in an attacking sense to trouble them.

Then if that wasn't enough, Rowett waits until we are two down and the game is gone to bring Vydra on, when it's obvious to everyone that we had been crying out for a change long before that. 

23 minutes to save our season? Poor Vydra. 

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

That bit there is my problem with the first leg. We treated it like we were playing a Bayern Munich away or something.

I found it disappointing that we were so terrified of a team in the same division as us that we set out to stifle them as a priority.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

JUST got home.

What a disappointing result, followed by unsavoury and disrespectful scenes towards our supporters from Fulham idiots; then a mix up with stewards/traffic/Fulham over the disabled supporters coach left us all at side of road for well over an hour before we finally got picked up.

One bright spot, had a chat with Nuge and his family and gave him a hug after game while we were hanging about. Other members of team gave their shirts to various fans. They all looked gutted. 

Not a night to remember. 

Really disappointed to hear about the behaviour of some of the Fulham fans. I think these types of games attract a slightly different spectrum of supporters to a rainy awayday on a Tuesday night and some of those who turn up for only the 'bragging rights' games can be utter knobbers in my experience. I also think that's true of most clubs save for two or three whose entire fanbase are *****!

For what it's worth, a few of my Fulham mates were none too impressed to put it mildly. 

Doesn’t matter what formation you play ,doesn’t matter what style you play if you don’t have enough quality ,, we cannot fault the players attitude and effort ,they put it all in but we simply don’t have the required quality in the right areas to hurt top teams ,this is not a pop at players as that’s unfair at this time but players with not enough consistent quality below

fozzy ,jono , Anya, wieman ,Olsen, Butterfield are not good enough and will never be so need replacing even if that’s by under 23s

a Fulham team with Martin compared to one with Mitrovic tells us plenty too 

we have some quality that perhaps has one more season age wise in hudds ,Davies ,Ledley? Jerome ,, Bryson is too old now to be brought back into the fold so should be let go along with Martin ,

we need a rebuild with youth around our existing decent experienced players and it needs to be with players who show signs of having technique ,interesting summer ahead 

Archived