Mac3

Gypsy Ram

He wouldn't come back while Mel's in charge. He's been humiliated time and time again by our owner and I'd like to think he has enough self-respect not to come near the club while Mel is owner.

It's a shame really, because I think Mac could've done something special with our club, but circumstances (1st season - 1 dodgy game, 2nd season - injuries, 3rd season - unjustly sacked) have conspired against him.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Silly of him to want to see football, have pride and be the envy of other teams. How Daren he assume others may want the same.

Personally I want to see hoofball, feel shame, and have other teams laugh at us. I’m glad you feel the same way. 

Don't usually associate your posts with sarcasm TT. Of course that's the style of football we want - my point was that Mac3 wouldn't be my choice - far from it!

It's been a long day and an even longer evening.

For me mac had a similar outlook to George Burley so not sure I would want him back  .  I think with both managers not quite enough to get us over the line but entertaining football .Unfortunately  the defensive side was a bit lacking in runs of games.  in fact Burley did a sterling job with no cash at all.   The other type of manager would be Billy Davies the type of dogs of war we won't concede. this approach done properly gets you up but generally -Burnley the only one I can think of -doesen't keep you there without a lot of cash.

The perfect team to get you up and stay there is the Jim Smith team - pace up front and at the back . Brains and brawn in the middle and players playing in the right position think Brighton and Bournemouth . This type of team ethos only needs minor tinkering to my mind as we did with Asanovic.   We just have too many round pegs in square holes-( I can't remember when last had a natural wide player)for any manager to have a settled team at that moment and need someone to sort it out, I don't know if that's Rowett or not or if he will break from the sit back and soak it up football .

I do know that we had a similar position under Smith when he came -  the well has run dry so you need to sell to buy which he managed .  The only issue is this time we don't have the young player's Smith had to generate income as we sold those last summer .

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Simmo. In fact he's officially my *Wixman Official First Choice*. 

Maybe even with McClaren in some coaching role. All the style, magic and nostalgia of 13/14 without the baggage. Also, the guy just won a world cup, so that helps...

6 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Simmo. In fact he's officially my *Wixman Official First Choice*. 

Maybe even with McClaren in some coaching role. All the style, magic and nostalgia of 13/14 without the baggage. Also, the guy just won a world cup, so that helps...

And Steele. I loved Eric Steele. You ever wish a stranger was your Dad? I would love Steele to approve of something I've done

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

And Steele. I loved Eric Steele. You ever wish a stranger was your Dad? I would love Steele to approve of something I've done

If only he was a member, he could like your post.

Unlike me.

Also, as much as I love Steve and am grateful for everything he gave us, he is a bit of a Wally. He seems somewhat flustered in a managerial role when chips are down and doesn't inspire confidence. That said, as a number 2 he is literally world class. I'm sure Ferguson and Jim Smith would agree.

Simmo, simmo, simmo. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Haha. So much. Did you watch his Rams TV interview? He's everything good about English football personified.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't usually associate your posts with sarcasm TT. Of course that's the style of football we want - my point was that Mac3 wouldn't be my choice - far from it!

It's been a long day and an even longer evening.

I can do sarcastic with the best of them (it’s just puns and occasionally spelling I’m crap at). 

And I think you actually agree with Roy, he said it ain’t going to happen with Mac3, so thought your response was a bit weird, and deserved a bit of sarcasm. 

Might as well as call this thread 'Stockholm Syndrome'. I've lost count of the amount of mates/acquaintances who are astounded that Derby rate McClaren at all. Outside of Derby, he's a laughing stock...why is that @Roy Mac5???  Why can't he get a job 18 months after being dismissed by Derby?!

I personally think that's a little harsh but there's an important point to consider...it was Cloughie's team that we nearly went up with in 13/14 - from Forsyth, Christie, Keogh, Russell, Martin, Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Martin....Cloughie jnr signed 8/9 that nearly went up...McClaren's concern was about inflating his CV for the big jobs in the Prem. And it it worked in terms of him getting the Newcastle job. 

46 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Might as well as call this thread 'Stockholm Syndrome'. I've lost count of the amount of mates/acquaintances who are astounded that Derby rate McClaren at all. Outside of Derby, he's a laughing stock...why is that @Roy Mac5???  Why can't he get a job 18 months after being dismissed by Derby?!

I personally think that's a little harsh but there's an important point to consider...it was Cloughie's team that we nearly went up with in 13/14 - from Forsyth, Christie, Keogh, Russell, Martin, Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Martin....Cloughie jnr signed 8/9 that nearly went up...McClaren's concern was about inflating his CV for the big jobs in the Prem. And it it worked in terms of him getting the Newcastle job. 

Not really sure that the Stockholm Syndrome is the appropriate analogy, maybe Emperor's New Coat would work better? That said, I do kind of get where you;re coming from as I was pretty astounded when Nigel was sacked as I could see glimpses of what was to follow. He'd built the side on buttons too whilst massively reducing the wage bill and that really dos take some nous. I also didn't rate Mac at all a that point but I don't mind admitting that I was wrong. Mac came in and re-jigged things with Eustace playing the CDM role and adopted a more attacking style which bar poor luck, would have seen us promoted that same season. The following year we were also going well until injuries ravaged the side. In so much I think it's fair to say both he and Nigel are decent managers.

This said, I agree that the the view that Mac would be a panacea for all our woes is a tad naive but for many it's not such a belief that drives the will to have him reinstated, it's a longing for the free-flowing football we played, the sheer excitement of it all, if you like. For my part, those days are gone and we should be looking to a new future. I'd hoped that under Rowett we could transition to something akin to Leicester under Pearson but for whatever reason, our progress of early season has stalled in spectacular fashion. Folk were able to overlook the style, or perceived lack thereof, while we were winning games, but with only four wins this year, that argument has become hard to defend. It's a great shame as Rowett remains a manager of some promise and I don't doubt he'll do well at some point but even I am no longer convinced that it'll be at Derby and I've been one of his staunchest supporters. I'd imagine that he'll remain in charge to the end of the season but I'm not convinced he'll still be in charge after that unless we somehow secure promotion. It's not impossible, it just seems highly unlikely, is all. 

Archived