Manner of Performances

rammieib

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I didn't see hoofing last night (400+ passes) and Gary said they changed formation 4 times in the game to try to combat them. Basically Wolves were much too good for us. All we can do is try to get into the playoffs and see what happens. If we manage promotion it will be interesting to see what happens in terms of personnel. 

You were not watching Pearce then

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, curtains said:

But we are 5th and people are writing us off because Wolves beat us 2-0 at home .

No people are writing us off because of the manner of our performances. The results during that run papered over the cracks and concerns but if you looked at a table based on expected goals it showed that our run that took us up to 2nd and subsequently has kept us 5th was a total fluke. Oppositions just not taking chances, us taking the very few chances we had. 

I hate saying this stuff about us, I'm usually a 'happy clapper' sort but my head is ruling my heart with this one. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

No people are writing us off because of the manner of our performances. The results during that run papered over the cracks and concerns but if you looked at a table based on expected goals it showed that our run that took us up to 2nd and subsequently has kept us 5th was a total fluke. Oppositions just not taking chances, us taking the very few chances we had. 

I hate saying this stuff about us, I'm usually a 'happy clapper' sort but my head is ruling my heart with this one. 

You might be happier at 5pm on Saturday 

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

Make no mistake Derby are cost cutting. 

We are not in the market for the players Wolves and Villa go for. 

I don't think 'not being in the market for the same players as Wolves and Villa' and 'Cost cutting' are the same thing. Do we need to reduce the wage bill? Yeah. Is it to the same extent and limitations Nigel had to work to? Doubtful. He would have never have been allowed a £5-7m bid for a winger or £4m on a RB with a pretty ropey recent history or £2m on a 32 yr old striker. 

Just now, curtains said:

You might be happier at 5pm on Saturday 

I doubt it. I can't remember a single game I've come away from purring at our performance. It's always been a bit of a giggle at how we'd shithoused someone or a comment on a dogged defensive display. I miss us being the 'Fulham' of the division. The team people want to go up because of the scintillating stuff we play. 

With Rowett I expected and accepted that we'd be more direct with our football. I can accept that, Atletico Madrid play a direct style of football so it isn't all doom and gloom(I obviously didn't expect us to do it to the same standard as AM). However with accepting the more direct route, I'd also assumed we'd play with a higher intensity and tempo and we'd get the ball moving quickly with a purpose. This isn't the case. 

We play with no intensity and with such a slow tempo that is so boring to watch. There is just as much passing between centre backs as there was under Clement except eventually it goes to Huddlestone who fires it over the top. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Why do teams like Brentford with a fraction of our budget manage to play more attractive football than us? I want Derby to get promoted but i also want us to play good football to feet not this rubbish being served up. Take Vydra out of this team and it’s a relegation battle next season.

In the end the numbers will dictate. ST numbers will fall as the lacklustre and directionless football continues. We cant play a pressing game with players we have. When taking the dog for a walk becomes more attractive than an afternoon at PP you know that Mel (if he remains interested) will have to fire the bullet. I don`t think he dare risk giving money to GR. I am just waiting for the inevitable move for Cattermole that will tip me over..

18 hours ago, Sparkle said:

True, but wolves were near the bottom last year and looked poor, three good signings and away they went, it’s all about the right players (I lack confidence in us getting them though)

So do I, and the apprehension is evidence based. Which makes it all the more depressing (in the context of football, that is)

10 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Most worrying for me was that we didn't seem to have a game plan at all - everyone knows how Wolves play with attacking wing backs, yet we sat off their central midfield and let them simply ping the ball out wide all night - surely there was a case to try and counteract their style? As it was, I bet Wolves couldn't believe how easy we made it for them....

Gary ain't twigged three at the back .

On 12 April 2018 at 03:14, RamsFan10 said:

I agree with this to an extent. 

Tonight i feel we sat back far too much. I'm not going got criticise a plan on sitting back against the best team this division has ever seen, but when we found ourselves down we didn't change. That was poor.

That said, during parts of this season a rigid defence has seen many smash-and-grab wins in games. The football isn't beautiful, but i think concerns about our position next year are unfounded. Hate it all you want, Rowettball can often be effective. 

I think what will halt progression next year is our lack of ability to spend.

Still feel the same? This was your comment after the Wolves match.

My take...I want to give Rowett time. I am sick of the 'sack everyone' kneejerk reaction to every poor result. Yes, we were appalling today but were we any worse than last year when we got beat 0-3 by Brighton eh? @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong  @RoyMac5

I've said it before...i'll say it again, once Rowett gets it right, it'll be glorious. Not Billy Davies 'shithouse' displays but proper powerhouse counter attack no ******** champion stuff. He'll have us promoted next season...any takers for a bet? (caveat: he has to be employed by Derby still at end of 18/19 season)

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My take...I want to give Rowett time. I am sick of the 'sack everyone' kneejerk reaction to every poor result. Yes, we were appalling today but were we any worse than last year when we got beat 0-3 by Brighton eh? @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong  @RoyMac5

I've said it before...i'll say it again, once Rowett gets it right, it'll be glorious. Not Billy Davies 'shithouse' displays but proper powerhouse counter attack no ******** champion stuff. He'll have us promoted next season...any takers for a bet? (caveat: he has to be employed by Derby still at end of 18/19 season)

My god what are you drinking?

Archived