Manner of Performances

rammieib

When you think wolves play 3 at the back and pack the midfield and the wing backs play as wingers everyone knows that.

So you pick a team and tactics to suit 1-4-4 1-1 not Gary he plays well i don't know what he plays???

What happened to the days of different teams different tactics.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

I dont understand your post, so apologies in not being able to reply.  

Well Sunderland have been carp all season .

You telling me you would rather be in Sunderlands position in the table compared to Derbys 

Just now, curtains said:

Well Sunderland have been carp all season .

You telling me you would rather be in Sunderlands position in the table compared to Derbys 

Maybe you just missed the point? The response was in reply to someone saying what do you expect against the run away leaders, I was giving examples of where having a game plan can make it difficult for the opposing team no matter how good they are.  Hopefully that clears it up for you :-)

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

Maybe you just missed the point? The response was in reply to someone saying what do you expect against the run away leaders, I was giving examples of where having a game plan can make it difficult for the opposing team no matter how good they are.  Hopefully that clears it up for you :-)

No it doesn’t.

Do you think Rowett doesn’t have a game plan .

Are you really that ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

No it doesn’t.

Do you think Rowett doesn’t have a game plan .

Are you really that ridiculous 

Once again you failed to read the posts, maybe if you do this it would save us both  time.  I didn’t say he didn’t have a plan, I’m sure he does, however what ever it was it was totally ineffective last night and for the majority of the season has led to boring football.

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Once again you failed to read the posts, maybe if you do this it would save us both  time.  I didn’t say he didn’t have a plan, I’m sure he does, however what ever it was it was totally ineffective last night and for the majority of the season has led to boring football.

Good grief man 

We beat Hull 5-0 at home where were you then 

Get off Rowetts  back. 

I was sat in the upper tier of the big end stand so could see everything aerially. I can confirm that our formation did not change one bit. it was always 4231 whenever the players set themselves up. Clear as day from where I was sat. He switched Vydra out wide and put Lawrence in the middle but no change to system. 

In my opinion, last night needed 433 with a very deep holding mid and I said this to my Wolves fan friend after about 15 minutes.  

RB     CB     CB     LB

DM

CM          CM

RW         CF           LW

That would have given us 3 centrally defensive players to pick up their attackers, the full backs could focus on their wing backs, the 2 in the middle would have matched up with their 2 in the middle and then our 3 attackers who are quite pacey would have at least concerned their 3 CBs. 

My change at half time would have been to swap Palmer for Vydra, put Palmer in the midfield two with Ledley. Move Huddlestone deep to help with their forward 3 but to also use his excellent ability to find the wingers. I would have instructed the wingers to hug the touch line to force their centre backs out of their comfort zone or to force them to drag back their marauding wing backs and make them concentrate on the defensive duties. 

Instead we played the same awful, dour rubbish that has seen us scrape some fortunate wins when Vydra was firing on all cylinders. 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Good grief man 

Get off Rowetts  back. 

Most misleading result of the season. 

Everything we touched that night turned to gold and they missed at least 3 guilt edged chances. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Good grief man 

Get off Rowetts  back. 

One swallow doesn’t make a summer however thanks for you advice, I would say wake up and smell the coffee however I’m sure we won’t agree on this one.

Why not come back in 6 months and let’s discuss then, until then if you don’t mind I’ll continue to call it as I see it

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Most misleading result of the season. 

Everything we touched that night turned to gold and they missed at least 3 guilt edged chances. 

Even a 5-0  win is criticised

Rowett has been told to cut our cloth and is on that basis doing a great job with a chance of the playoffs which was not even dreamed of at the start of the season 

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

One swallow doesn’t make a summer however thanks for you advice, I would say wake up and smell the coffee however I’m sure we won’t agree on this one.

Why not come back in 6 months and let’s discuss then, until then if you don’t mind I’ll continue to call it as I see it

What about the cost cutting Rowett has had to deal with and the squad he inherited.

Comment on that 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Even a 5-0  win is criticised

Rowett has been told to cut our cloth and is on that basis doing a great job with a chance of the playoffs which was not even dreamed of at the start of the season 

Don't get me wrong it felt good but after watching the highlights it was clear (as it has been all season) that we are only successful when we are ridiculously clinical (which cannot be sustained as we're now seeing) and our defenders get some good fortune (again unsustainable see current form). 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Don't get me wrong it felt good but after watching the highlights it was clear (as it has been all season) that we are only successful when we are ridiculously clinical (which cannot be sustained as we're now seeing) and our defenders get some good fortune (again unsustainable see current form). 

But we are 5th and people are writing us off because Wolves beat us 2-0 at home .

When Gary came in one of the things he insisted on was taking each game, looking at the opposition, and putting out a team that would counter that particular challenge. So different formations, different tactics etc. I thought that was great, something new and fresh.

We haven't really seen it this season but last night was the perfect opportunity to do something different in what was essentially a no-lose situation as no-one expected us to get anything out of it.

Instead we played exactly the same as we've played all season, which completely played into Wolves' hands. It was pathetic. We simply could not have made it easier for them.

When did anyone think that allowing the best team in the division to have all the ball was a good idea? When did anyone think that allowing a team that flourishes with its wing backs to allow them to run free was a good idea? 

I accept they are better than us all over the pitch, they have more talented players and are younger and quicker, so it is hard to make an impression on them. But at least give your players the best opportunity to give it a go. The moment you saw that team with that formation, you knew what was coming.

I don't mind losing but I do mind losing like that. Sadly we've been here too many times before.

6 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

I agree with this to an extent. 

Tonight i feel we sat back far too much. I'm not going got criticise a plan on sitting back against the best team this division has ever seen, but when we found ourselves down we didn't change. That was poor.

That said, during parts of this season a rigid defence has seen many smash-and-grab wins in games. The football isn't beautiful, but i think concerns about our position next year are unfounded. Hate it all you want, Rowettball can often be effective. 

I think what will halt progression next year is our lack of ability to spend.

The trouble with sitting back and hitting on the run is starting to bite us in the ar$e. You can't keep out teams for a whole season and hope you gain enough points on the break.

The better teams will batter you and find a way through and if you are relying on scoring on the break, you had better ensure you break a lot in order to get 1 or 2 in.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

What about the cost cutting Rowett has had to deal with and the squad he inherited.

Comment on that 

The squad he inherited was good enough to finish in the top half last year despite an awful start from NP.  Cost cutting? He spent over 5 million on two players I’m sure there are plenty of managers that would like that kind of cost cutting, however once again I’m not sure what this has to do with his playing style, or lack of it.

Just now, VulcanRam said:

When Gary came in one of the things he insisted on was taking each game, looking at the opposition, and putting out a team that would counter that particular challenge. So different formations, different tactics etc. I thought that was great, something new and fresh.

We haven't really seen it this season but last night was the perfect opportunity to do something different in what was essentially a no-lose situation as no-one expected us to get anything out of it.

Instead we played exactly the same as we've played all season, which completely played into Wolves' hands. It was pathetic. We simply could not have made it easier for them.

When did anyone think that allowing the best team in the division to have all the ball was a good idea? When did anyone think that allowing a team that flourishes with its wing backs to allow them to run free was a good idea? 

I accept they are better than us all over the pitch, they have more talented players and are younger and quicker, so it is hard to make an impression on them. But at least give your players the best opportunity to give it a go. The moment you saw that team with that formation, you knew what was coming.

I don't mind losing but I do mind losing like that. Sadly we've been here too many times before.

Goal difference is an extra point to Derby in the playoff push at the moment 

Conceding only 2 last night was good. 

Just now, AdamRam said:

The squad he inherited was good enough to finish in the top half last year despite an awful start from NP.  Cost cutting? He spent over 5 million on two players I’m sure there are plenty of managers that would like that kind of cost cutting, however once again I’m not sure what this has to do with his playing style, or lack of it.

Make no mistake Derby are cost cutting. 

We are not in the market for the players Wolves and Villa go for. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Goal difference is an extra point to Derby in the playoff push at the moment 

Conceding only 2 last night was good. 

Well if that's the height of your ambition, then fine. And I do understand your point.

Anyway, the title of this thread is the manner of performance, and that's what we're here to discuss. Would I have rather Derby shown more ambition, look like we were part of the game, make it watchable for supporters, watch the players crawl off on their hands or knees because they've put every ounce in, yet lose 3-0? Yes, probably. 

Archived