Manner of Performances

rammieib

How long can the manner of performances continue to be acceptable? The tactics employed by GR are dour and boring. I don't mind losing at Wolves who have some brilliant players but give it a go. I don't think we touched the ball in their box tonight coupled with three shots on goal.

Preston away we got very lucky but that type of luck and approach often yields losses than wins.

Losing Winnall and Russell has just stunted this season. If we fluke staying in the play offs, GR's tactics over two legs in a play off will stop us going up, that's for sure.

Then that leads me onto genuinely how long are people prepared to continue watching the tactics he employs? At least in the Mac era we gave it a go even when we lost. 

Im not depressed at the result tonight, but depressed at the approach. Then again, the performance was completely what I expected. Did fans expect anything else than what they got tonight?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it how the majority of fans used to moan about Mac having no Plan B.

Having no Plan B is better than a Plan A of sitting back, zero chances being created and boring supporters to tears.

I agree and you’ll no doubt get a lot of stick for posting it.

We lack any desire or energy. If we had given it 100% and got stuck in then I could accept losing by any amount, but to lose like that is a disgrace.

It’s a shame we are in this position yet again. I’d prefer us to try and bring through some u23’s for next season than give some of this bunch another go.

This season feels as though we have been taken back 5 years, the football, the players brought in, the off field antics everything.  We were lucky to get a string of results together, I genuinely fear for us next season, both in terms of the football that will be deployed and also our league position.  

Agreed, part of the reason why I feel there is a lack of desire from the players is from the way we aren’t being set up. If you get told to stay ridged and be cautious game after game surely it’ll have an affect on your desire to actually want to express yourself when you get the ball. 

Players are winners, and not going for it or at least taking the game to the opposition must be so frustrating, regardless of where we are in the league 

10 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

This season feels as though we have been taken back 5 years, the football, the players brought in, the off field antics everything.  We were lucky to get a string of results together, I genuinely fear for us next season, both in terms of the football that will be deployed and also our league position.  

I wish th reference to five years was back to Macs days but sadly you're right, the club just seems to be heading backwards.

A squad getting older and older, little saleable assets (not that I'd want us to sell our assets), boring football, what appears to be a restricted budget, so many players who need to be taken off the books but who would take them and all this coupled with the Rush/DCFC legal battle just to add embarrassment into the wounds.

I worry mediocrity is returning to this club. Another thing tonight, what harm would there have been in throwing Palmer into the mix earlier, exposing Thomas a little bit more etc Whenever it pans over to the Derby bench, we seem to have more coaches than anyone else but what are they genuinely all doing?

Anyway, moan over. I still harbour ambition of a top six and hope three wins will do it. I'd at least like us to be in the play offs than not at all.

Seven weeks ago we were in second place, tonight we looked two leagues behind Wolves not just the one ! 

Can you imagine watching that type of performance that we saw tonight taking place week in week out in the prem league ?

it makes me shudder just to think of it, we have got a long long way to go still.

we can not pass the ball, we never reach our man, we are relying on huddlestone who is past it and Lawrence who is going nowhere fast to be our play makers.

this season is building to such an inevitable crashing crescendo, buckle up it’s gonna get rough !

40 minutes ago, rammieib said:

How long can the manner of performances continue to be acceptable? The tactics employed by GR are dour and boring. I don't mind losing at Wolves who have some brilliant players but give it a go. I don't think we touched the ball in their box tonight coupled with three shots on goal.

Preston away we got very lucky but that type of luck and approach often yields losses than wins.

Losing Winnall and Russell has just stunted this season. If we fluke staying in the play offs, GR's tactics over two legs in a play off will stop us going up, that's for sure.

Then that leads me onto genuinely how long are people prepared to continue watching the tactics he employs? At least in the Mac era we gave it a go even when we lost. 

Im not depressed at the result tonight, but depressed at the approach. Then again, the performance was completely what I expected. Did fans expect anything else than what they got tonight?

Have to agree. Personally not really worried about reaching the PL now, as we are no where near a side worthy of promotion. OK it's a couple of extra games to watch if we make the play offs, but it would be painful to watch. 

Realistically our chances against Wolves were slim. Percentage football and counter attack was likely to be our only hope. That pains me to acknowledge what are football has become. However, had we won 1-0 with a rearguard performance some would be lauding GR as a tactical genius. 

However, huge giant caveat to the above. When we were doing well with these tactics earlier in the season I always felt we were greatly at risk of a few defeats sending us into a spiral. Negative, restrictive football, over reliant on one player to win you games just breeds a precarious situation generally. It's manageable for as long as you keep winning but winning ugly never instills the same long-term confidence as winning well. For me GR's tactics give control to our opposition and when we need to up our performance levels to dominate play, we can't do it. 

The whole thing just ends up being super frustrating and dull to watch.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I was more depressed last season when we capitulated against Brighton which all but confirmed we had no chance of playoffs with 9 games to go. One of many other similar away day capitulations we had. 4th away defeat of the season. Perspective.

I know I'll get pelters for this, but even if Rowett took us up via the Play Offs I'd sack him.

If we think the football is ***** in the Championship, imagine us in the Prem.

Going to Ballsmouth and Watford to keep it tight and nick a goal from a mistake.

Our league position shows we are 5th, so we're obviously doing something right because for me the quality in this team is on a par with the likes of Reading, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday.

Rowett is doing what he can to give us a chance of promotion, but he's done nothing to improve the quality of the team. Not for me anyway. 

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was more depressed last season when we capitulated against Brighton which all but confirmed we had no chance of playoffs with 9 games to go. One of many other similar away day capitulations we had. 4th away defeat of the season. Perspective.

The same season we sacked a manager because of a relegation form start of 6 points from 9 games? Not quite sure you can use "perspective" if you're going to ignore the bigger picture too...?

I’ll jusdge Rowett next season. Football is dire and boring to watch. But if we get a top 6 finish this season I suppose it will be progress.  I don’t see much of an increase in quality of playing staff and many players coming to the end of their careers. Another rebuilding job in the summer using youngsters is what Mel said 

Archived