Manner of Performances

rammieib

1 hour ago, europia said:

Have to agree. Personally not really worried about reaching the PL now, as we are no where near a side worthy of promotion. OK it's a couple of extra games to watch if we make the play offs, but it would be painful to watch. 

True, but wolves were near the bottom last year and looked poor, three good signings and away they went, it’s all about the right players (I lack confidence in us getting them though)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was more depressed last season when we capitulated against Brighton which all but confirmed we had no chance of playoffs with 9 games to go. One of many other similar away day capitulations we had. 4th away defeat of the season. Perspective.

if you think we stand a better chance of getting to the play-offs thisa year? you are deluded

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Our league position shows we are 5th, so we're obviously doing something right because for me the quality in this team is on a par with the likes of Reading, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday.

Rowett is doing what he can to give us a chance of promotion, but he's done nothing to improve the quality of the team. Not for me anyway. 

But isnt that part of a managers job at least it should be

I cannot see an ounce of progress in this team.

We are just a horrible side to watch at the moment and its all down to the negative tactics employed. I thought football was supposed to be an entertainment business but what this manager gets the team to serve up is a million miles away from entertainment.

We have gone so far backwards since the play-off final from a footballing perspective and the brakes have yet to be applied.

44 minutes ago, Yani P said:

We are just a horrible side to watch at the moment and its all down to the negative tactics employed. I thought football was supposed to be an entertainment business but what this manager gets the team to serve up is a million miles away from entertainment.

We have gone so far backwards since the play-off final from a footballing perspective and the brakes have yet to be applied.

We have been on Sky 3 times in the last 12 days. We have mustered a total of 3 shots on target, according to Whoscored.

Horrible is a very suitable description of Rowettball

I agree with this to an extent. 

Tonight i feel we sat back far too much. I'm not going got criticise a plan on sitting back against the best team this division has ever seen, but when we found ourselves down we didn't change. That was poor.

That said, during parts of this season a rigid defence has seen many smash-and-grab wins in games. The football isn't beautiful, but i think concerns about our position next year are unfounded. Hate it all you want, Rowettball can often be effective. 

I think what will halt progression next year is our lack of ability to spend.

3 hours ago, Yani P said:

No apparently we are just as good. Its just that people keep focussing on the bad days - like sunderland. 

Unfortunately i missed the first 20 minutes yesterday, so i missed our shot. 

Looking forward to watching it soon. 

Keep the faith. #GRforEngland. #Melforthefunnyfarm.

8 hours ago, Carnero said:

Oo like me, like me.

Thank goodness a new thread has been created to discuss these matters, rather than just using the Match Thread.

Like me, like me.

Your comment made me smile but I can’t give it a like because then you’d be the same!

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

True, but wolves were near the bottom last year and looked poor, three good signings and away they went, it’s all about the right players (I lack confidence in us getting them though)

its because they have signed quality where we had quality and sold them or loaned them out we have better players playing for teams against us it madness! i think darren bent would do better the jerome and achually score us goals 

Took us 3 1/2 hours to get there last night, walked into the ground just as they kicked off. Spent the next 94 mins chatting to people, went home, got in at 12:30. 

Highlights.. 

1. Watching some decent flowing football but unfortunately from the wrong team.

2. Neves goal. To a man we applauded that.

3. 2 sets of fans singing that they hate Neil Warnock.

4. Getting home.

Unfortunately, not one of the highlights involved the football team I support. Okay I suppose the pearce one two, should make the list.

Generally a complete waste of time.

Been about the same every time I have gone this season, which is a fraction of what i have done over the last god knows how many seasons. So does the manner of the performance matter? Hell yes.. If they aint bothered, neither am I.

I really don't mind about a sit back/solid approach, it got us to second in the league and in my opinion it was the combination of injuries/that February fear that stunted us and has left us hoping to hold onto a play-off place. If it gets results, I don't care how we play.

What bothered me about last night was the lack of energy to press their forward players. We looked so lethargic, lacking any sort of desire to put a shift in, and it's these games where having Hudds and Ledley in the middle holds us back, as they just can't get near agile, technical players like Wolves have.

I honestly think letting Bryson go was the worst decision we made this season. His ability to run all game and close down the play would be so helpful right now. 

Last night, I was angry, this morning I am ambivalent. The team you support has to garner a feeling of affection and loyalty in you, or there is nothing. This, for most people is probably though the medium of hard work, and commitment. If you walk away feeling that they have done their best, then you can take it. Too many times, the Derby team of the last 3 seasons have failed on this account.

I also watch Halifax Town, who are part-time in a full-time league, and have been scrapping to avoid relegation. They have heart, and commitment in spades, and bond with the crowd accordingly.

At the moment, for me, there is no contest, as to where I would sooner put my money, and my loyalty.

I will always be a Ram, but the heart and soul has disappeared for me at the moment.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Not too sure what folks expect, when you have an average championship going to the runner leaders! :blink:

It’s the manner of the defeat not the result.  Sunderland when they came to PP had a game plan to pressure our DMs, Liverpool set about the run away leaders with high pressing, we had nothing.  

Similar to Brentford last year, we sent out a team hoping to get a result, we didn’t try anything, we didn’t press, we didn’t attack in numbers, although we changed our shape four times according to the manager ?.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

It’s the manner of the defeat not the result.  Sunderland when they came to PP had a game plan to pressure our DMs, Liverpool set about the run away leaders with high pressing, we had nothing.  

Similar to Brentford last year, we sent out a team hoping to get a result, we didn’t try anything, we didn’t press, we didn’t attack in numbers, although we changed our shape four times according to the manager ?.

Sunderland had a game plan for game.  Oh right 

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Most worrying for me was that we didn't seem to have a game plan at all - everyone knows how Wolves play with attacking wing backs, yet we sat off their central midfield and let them simply ping the ball out wide all night - surely there was a case to try and counteract their style? As it was, I bet Wolves couldn't believe how easy we made it for them....

Archived