Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never like it when players say they feel confident before a game, because it nearly always seems to lead to a mediocre performance. I just wish they'd confine their talking to the pitch.

25 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Oh my...... see the Rowett out brigade are in full flow..... 

Who do you want guys? Genuine question

We've already got someone on the payroll I'd trust more than Gary.

Step forward Claire Ince.

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Oh my...... see the Rowett out brigade are in full flow..... 

Who do you want guys? Genuine question

Well I never wanted him so for me its not like a reaction to bad results. Mac 1 should never have been sacked. After that mistake then Wassall should not have been sacked. Clement shouldn't have been sacked. Pearson shouldn't have been hired because he didn't fit the style we had or the direction we wanted. Mac probably shouldn't have been hired because when the horse has bolted etc.

Then he shouldn't have been sacked and Rowett shouldn't have been hired.

Mac, Wassall, Clement were not perfect. But they kind of fitted in with what we had and where we wanted to go. Yeah there were bumps. But there always always will be. 

I mean we hired Clement, a young inexperienced rookie but were not prepared or in a position for rookie errors. 

We asked Wassall to turn the clock back but gave him no time. Another rookie that was expected to do too much too quick.

Ok, ok. We've made mistakes. So in comes.... Pearson. The exact opposite of everything that came before. Do we give him time to change stuff? No. Imo he should never had the job so I was glad he was sacked as it meant we can put mistakes behind us. In comes Mac. We go from struggling to looking at play offs and then he's sacked. WTF was he hired for? What was he sacked for?

So then we go to a more humble version of Nigel Pearson. 

For me, I see us completely lost.

We build a house and then just when it's time for the roof we tear it down and start again. Bungalow? Nah, tear it down. 3 bed? Nah. Bungalow please.

I see Rowett not here as a man to build on anything. But to start completely from scratch. And as I didn't rate him before he arrived I still don't think he's the man now. 

I've really wanted to see him build his own house but I just can't see anything other than a really drab garage. 

Maybe you can. I'm glad it's not my decision. 

But if it was my decision then we'd never have gotten to this stage. We'd be on Mac 1 up until the point the play offs are out of reach by a good few points. Then I'd be looking for a similar styled manager who will not demand a brand new squad but can add to what is already here. He's get, barring a disaster, a few transfer windows. He wouldn't get sacked after 20 games 

How did it take him over 70 minutes to change something. Absolute shambles. 

I can accept losing to Wolves but the manner in which we lost was so toothless. I’m not blaming the players because yet again against a back 3 the manager hasn’t adapted. 

21 minutes ago, Simsy said:

So what brand of football would you like? The 4 3 3 that failed year after year?  The passing sideways and backwards football?

This is rowetts first full season and being hard to beat direct football is fine by me. Worked for teams like burnley.  Seasons not over yet could work for us still.

Well mate if you are happy with the football we play that's great, but a sizeable number of us detest it. I think we will be battered by of the current teams in the playoff positions even if we do manage to hang in there. Fulham are light years better than us, playing exciting attacking football that we can only dream about,  Cardiff are solid & resilient in a way we are not, Villa have more quality than us in all the keys areas (Adomah, Grealish etc) and Millwall are just a beast, full of confidence and momentum. 

Personally I just want to enjoy the football and to be confident that if somehow we go up, we will be able to give it our best shot. I don't think it will ever pan out like that with GR in charge. 

I genuinely do not enjoy watching Derby County at the moment even though we are 5th in the league and that really saddens me.

16 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I want to see a team that passes the ball on the deck, I don’t care what formation is used, I dont care if it fails year after year, at least I can enjoy the football.

Not sure what his first full season has to do with it, he has played this brand throughout his managerial career.

We have had teams that pass it on the deck... backwards... sideways... backwards... sideways.

I want to see a team who is progressing and looking at the league table we have certainly progressed! There is still a chance we can get promoted but people seem to have forgotten that.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Well I never wanted him so for me its not like a reaction to bad results. Mac 1 should never have been sacked. After that mistake then Wassall should not have been sacked. Clement shouldn't have been sacked. Pearson shouldn't have been hired because he didn't fit the style we had or the direction we wanted. Mac probably shouldn't have been hired because when the horse has bolted etc.

Mac, Wassall, Clement were not perfect. But they kind of fitted in with what we had and where we wanted to go. Yeah there were bumps. But there always always will be. 

I mean we hired Clement, a young inexperienced rookie but were not prepared or in a position for rookie errors. 

We asked Wassall to turn the clock back but gave him no time. Another rookie that was expected to do too much too quick.

Ok, ok. We've made mistakes. So in comes.... Pearson. The exact opposite of everything that came before. Do we give him time to change stuff? No. Imo he should never had the job so I was glad he was sacked as it meant we can put mistakes behind us. In comes Mac. We go from struggling to looking at play offs and then he's sacked. WTF was he hired for? What was he sacked for?

We build a house and then just when it's time for the roof we tear it down and start again. Bungalow? Nah, tear it down. 3 bed? Nah. Bungalow please.

I see Rowett not here as a man to build on anything. But to start completely from scratch. And as I didn't rate him before he arrived I still don't think he's the man now. 

I've really wanted to see him build his own house but I just can't see anything other than a really drab garage

But if it was my decision then we'd never have gotten to this stage. We'd be on Mac 1 up until the point the play offs are out of reach by a good few points. Then I'd be looking for a similar styled manager who will not demand a brand new squad but can add to what is already here. He's get, barring a disaster, a few transfer windows. He wouldn't get sacked after 20 games 

Very Hollowayesque.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Cast your mind back to Preston away in April 2018

Ha missed that must have been at work didn’t know that was on ...thought after the Sunderland display we’d not get on tv again let alone the very next game .... anything else

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

In fairness the midfield were outnumbered because the wolves centre back could easily step up and Nugent was completely stranded and had no service.

It's almost the end of the season now, so if teams haven't worked out how Wolves play it's hard to sympathise when they get turned over so emphatically, like we did tonight. Neves was roaming around unchallenged, our leggy midfielders no where near him. Absolutely ridiculous.  

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

When was the last time we had enough possession to give him fair chances to create things? Criticising Vydra is incredibly unfair. He doesn't run around like a headless chicken like Nugent, but he does close down the ball, he does put a shift in. He doesn't hide as you suggest. When was the last time the team player really well?

It kinda works both ways though, our midfield do get a lot of possession, but do you see Vydra come to collect the ball from them? It's rare, maybe because of being man marked but if he's the focus point of this team then you need to find a way round it. It's arguable that Nugent runs round like a headless chicken a) to look like he's working without (achieving a lot) b) to cover Vydra. If you notice Nugent 'running' it's mostly deeper than you'd want your 'up top' striker. It's Nugent work around the defenders that there hasn't been enough. He might 'close down', so to speak. It if you were where you should be positionally it might not be the chasing shadows predicament he finds himself in a lot of the time. It used to happen with Ince too, could do great last ditch tackles sometimes defensively but if he was where he should be he doesn't have to it. It's not hiding per se I'm suggesting, it's not helping your team mate by giving him an option when they need one. It's fine when you want the ball, but it's the working for the team side tpohat's lacking. 

Vydra for scoring the goals, doesn't make him exempt from any criticism. There's a massive flaw in how we play and in that midfield area he works in so he has to take a part of that. The team haven't played well for a long time, I'm not a huge advocate of how we have been playing. But again, Vydra is a big part of that as anybody else. He's a gifted and skilful player, but I'm not convinced he's a team player. Wolves tonight looked a class team, but they attack as a unit when we attack as a bunch of individuals.

Now I ask again, when was the last time Vydra played well in his position ?

EDIT: I should maybe point out I'm not meaning directly to just have a go at Vydra, although I think there are problems. I think it's a consequence of how the management have set up this squad which means we have two deep DM and a very attacking no.10 making us have a non existent midfield. Vydra is fine as a player, but let's face it we haven't set up a team that has got the best out of all our players. We've set up a team that means one very good player can score the goals, but by doing that has stunted any other form of attack

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've really wanted to see him build his own house but I just can't see anything other than a really drab garage. 

I wish you were Mel.

Failing that, Director of Football, in charge of Mel's money, while keeping him at arms length. 

It's so simple, yet we never show the common sense to implement it.

It’s not even that passing football is the only way to play, it really isn’t. It’s just that it’s a good attacking weapon that are refusing to utilise or even attempt.

There’s this complete disregard for anything resembling short quick passing, it’s constant lumps and getting it forward no matter how unlikely the pass is. It’s how you’d attack if you had completely talentless players up top and we’re taking all skill out of the process. There’s no chance for players like Lawrence to really shine.

We can’t turn it on when we need to either. Tonight’s not the only example of needing a goal but not getting anywhere near scoring. Who really thinks if we need a goal in the last 20 minutes we’ll get it?

Big problem that needs solving, this attacking play isn’t good enough over the course of a season to get us anywhere.

Massive overreaction by some to this defeat. Our shortcomings were exposed by one of the best teams I’ve seen in the Championship and Ruben Neves the best player ever to grace the championship. You can’t win, press them they pick you off sit off them they dominate the ball. Defence and attack they are supreme. I think they could finish top 7 in the premier league now without any more signings. I think they are that good. 

We started in the right way but as soon as we gave away a stupid goal early it was curtains. Wolves have won 26 times in 29 games when they have scored first. Then we couldn’t get near them, don’t think it’s desire I just think we didn’t have the legs to get near them. Now people can argue that’s Rowett’s fault, but in my view we didn’t have legs in midfield last season only Bryson (when fit) and Hughes who moved onto better things. 

We need to play better but there will not be such a gulf in class against any of the other teams in the playoffs. Fulham will get automatic and I think we have enough to trouble anyone else except Wolves and Fulham.We will get the points we need for the playoffs as everyone has to play everyone. I think 2 wins and a draw from last 5 matches will do it.

if we lose to burton, then the over the top reactions seen tonight will be justified.

Archived