The Worst Performance

HuddersRam

0-4 v Leicester after 15 minutes in 1998. Seem to think it was on Sky too, in the days when that was more of a rarity. It was more annoying because I was still sore from the Steve Walsh Wembley debacle. 

Same season as a 0-5 v Leeds, though strangely we had a cracking squad that year (Rowett included) and nowadays we look back on that as a golden era. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you mention the F.A. Cup against Plymouth, the cup was our salvation in 83/84 until Plymouth at home. 

The season never truly got going. As if full of optimism, seeing Chelsea hit us for 5 the first game wasn’t the reality check, getting mauled by Blackburn away ended me wanting to travel away, but no I was young and a sucker for punishment. Watched us mauled by Brum in the cup (home and away) and Barnsley on our away travels.

Really bad was losing 1-4 at home to Carlisle, now that’s when you get down but Shrewsbury away I had a lump in my throat. 3rd division from champions a decade before; my old man really punished me having seen all the good times, he kept encouraging me, telling me we’d get better all year and one day I’d see us winning titles too. It’s then I realised parents don’t always tell the truth and being a Ram could get real low.

Interesting, but last night we effectively had an expensively-assembled squad get battered 4-1 at home to a League One side.

Sunderland were crap. And we were horrific. 

The PL performances were terrible but we were playing against better opposition.

The Scunthorpe 4-1 was horrible, but we had a crap team then, mostly Paul Jewell flops.

What excuse can you say about last night? We had a midfield pairing plus Vydra who cost us near £20m!

Wingers that cost £10m combined...

Horrible.

To see the team fall apart like that last night was truly worrying.  i don't know if they need a kick in the pants, a group hug or extensive therapy, but something is way off and they need to sort themselves out pronto

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Uhm, sorry that one flew right over my head

The group therapy comment, the old "tell me about your mother" except Tom ince's mother seems to be our cheif scout. The joke clearly failed. The reality is I'll have to move it forward and make sure I've got the right jokes in the building but the reality is that joke I made needs to look at itself and ask itself some questions. I love working with Mel. He's not terrifying.

Last night was the worst since the 4-1 Scunny game for me.

Theres been some horrific ones in recent years but the worst team in the league beating you 4-1 (when it easily could have been 8-1)  easily tops anything I’ve seen. 

24 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The group therapy comment, the old "tell me about your mother" except Tom ince's mother seems to be our cheif scout. The joke clearly failed. The reality is I'll have to move it forward and make sure I've got the right jokes in the building but the reality is that joke I made needs to look at itself and ask itself some questions. I love working with Mel. He's not terrifying.

No no, the joke didn't fail, i did :lol:

This will happen every season until we accept we don’t want to be promoted after the debacle of 2007-8.  Deafening silence greets me each time I post this. And I understand as a cursory glance of the Premier league means  no club has the cash to join the big boys which is why the only sensible way to look at the Premiership is to turn the table upside down and understand that money has ruined the game. The only interest now is who goes down.

2 minutes ago, peartreecres said:

This will happen every season until we accept we don’t want to be promoted after the debacle of 2007-8.  Deafening silence greets me each time I post this. 

Deafening silence probably because it's not true.

6 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

As horrendous as last night was, I'm not sure if it was the most disgraceful performance I've ever seen from a Derby side. It got me thinking about what is the worst showing you've ever seen?

The stand out one for me is the 5-2 at Forest a few years ago in terms of the horror of the result, though last night runs it pretty close. I'd probably leave any 07/08 performances out because the difference there was that we simply were well out of our depth.

I tried thinking of a positive topic but in the current circumstances, doom and gloom is the only real option.

That 5-2 was my birthday and thanks for reminding me 

We have had some big flops for various reasons and the Sunderland game should change things but we will see, I can cope with accidents / deflections poor control of the football etc but some players simply not trying is unacceptable to me and we have plenty of weaklings on display sadly,

the time has passed but didn’t Jamie ward and Johnny Russell gave us so much effort with quality which galvanised the others time and time again

6 hours ago, Davide said:

Losing to Bristol Rovers in the cup, thrashed 4-0 by Leicester on sky, 5-0 by Sunderland, 3-0 Hull playoffs, all of 07/08, many John Gregory matches... 

Friday was up there but not the worst. The only decent thing that was done by the rams.

Agree...at least on friday we scored a brilliant goal.

7 hours ago, peartreecres said:

This will happen every season until we accept we don’t want to be promoted after the debacle of 2007-8.  Deafening silence greets me each time I post this. And I understand as a cursory glance of the Premier league means  no club has the cash to join the big boys which is why the only sensible way to look at the Premiership is to turn the table upside down and understand that money has ruined the game. The only interest now is who goes down.

We also hold the record for worst losing team in an FA Cup Final but, apart from 1946 that has never stopped us....oh, hang on!

11 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Some of you mention the F.A. Cup against Plymouth, the cup was our salvation in 83/84 until Plymouth at home. 

The season never truly got going. As if full of optimism, seeing Chelsea hit us for 5 the first game wasn’t the reality check, getting mauled by Blackburn away ended me wanting to travel away, but no I was young and a sucker for punishment. Watched us mauled by Brum in the cup (home and away) and Barnsley on our away travels.

Really bad was losing 1-4 at home to Carlisle, now that’s when you get down but Shrewsbury away I had a lump in my throat. 3rd division from champions a decade before; my old man really punished me having seen all the good times, he kept encouraging me, telling me we’d get better all year and one day I’d see us winning titles too. It’s then I realised parents don’t always tell the truth and being a Ram could get real low.

Good parents then Zag zig - preparing you for reality! :thumbsup:

Archived