The Worst Performance

HuddersRam

As horrendous as last night was, I'm not sure if it was the most disgraceful performance I've ever seen from a Derby side. It got me thinking about what is the worst showing you've ever seen?

The stand out one for me is the 5-2 at Forest a few years ago in terms of the horror of the result, though last night runs it pretty close. I'd probably leave any 07/08 performances out because the difference there was that we simply were well out of our depth.

I tried thinking of a positive topic but in the current circumstances, doom and gloom is the only real option.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading 0-3 when all we needed was a point to get into the playoffs a few years ago.

Leeds and Brighton last season. Leeds was only a 1-0 loss but both teams made us look like a sunday pub team...after a big lunch and 10 pints.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agreed here but last night was also pretty damn awful. Naturally some prem games come into it but we were so consistently **** then that they didn’t hurt so much somehow

Thing is with 07/08, we went into every game home or away expecting to get beat. Some of the performances took the piss, Villa and Reading at home, but we knew the side was awful then. Last night was through a complete lack of effort, that season was down to a lack of ability.

Scunthorpe 4-1 and Crawley 2-1 spring to mind..... seeing Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench whilst Ben Pringle started made me realise it was time for Nigel to go.....

16 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Thing is with 07/08, we went into every game home or away expecting to get beat. Some of the performances took the piss, Villa and Reading at home, but we knew the side was awful then. Last night was through a complete lack of effort, that season was down to a lack of ability.

Think you’re right, and that’s why last night hurts more. Heard today that the team was shown a motivational video before going out yesterday, yet they started like that! To even need to be shown something to get them motivated to play is an insult to the club given the position we’re in, but if even after that they still can’t be arsed and put in a showing like that... well put it this way, there’s a lot of players in our current team I’d gladly never see pull on the shirt again.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think you’re right, and that’s why last night hurts more. Heard today that the team was shown a motivational video before going out yesterday, yet they started like that! To even need to be shown something to get them motivated to play is an insult to the club given the position we’re in, but if even after that they still can’t be arsed and put in a showing like that... well put it this way, there’s a lot of players in our current team I’d gladly never see pull on the shirt again.

Trouble is Gary accidentally showed them the compliation of our 2014 season on you tube by accident and depressed everyone.

Given the money we have spent compared to Nigel Clough or any other manager in the past, last night was the worst performance and result I have experienced and ever seen.

Sunderland were rock bottom and not won since December 30th and they made us look like a pub team.

They scored 4 goals at our place and hit the post and bar within a couple of minutes.

Truly awful.

19 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Scunthorpe 4-1 and Crawley 2-1 spring to mind..... seeing Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench whilst Ben Pringle started made me realise it was time for Nigel to go.....

Scunthorpe was what I 1st thought of but I forgot about the Crawley match :(

PistoldPete2
36 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Reading 0-3 when all we needed was a point to get into the playoffs a few years ago.

Leeds and Brighton last season. Leeds was only a 1-0 loss but both teams made us look like a sunday pub team...after a big lunch and 10 pints.

Reading 0-3 was such a huge let down , but performance wise nowhere near as bad as last night. Brighton was bad and ended up with Mac being sacked but still nowhere near as bad especailly as it was against a team that ended up winning promotion. 

Taking account of the opposition (which rules out all of that years  Premier Legaue debacle) I am really struggling to remember a worse performance than last nights. Scunthorpe under Clough jnr maybe... even there I'm not so sure. No I really cant remember seeing anything worse than last night.

18 minutes ago, rynny said:

Scunthorpe was what I 1st thought of but I forgot about the Crawley match :(

That was awful times from not long ago..... forest 5-2 was bad as well. That Crawley game was the absolute pits 

Last night was pretty good compared to some of the awful performances I have seen over the years......Bristol City away in the cup was right up there with being the worse.Problem is I have fifty years of matches to draw upon to match last night against.

I agree with a lot of posters that in a contextual sense, last night was right up there in a hall of shame. Prem season was a bit of a laugh once we all realised how hopeless we were; some great memories like the Blackburn away day that spring to mind. It never actually hurt that much though. This poor run is really stinging this time around though, perhaps not entirely GR's fault given he is not responsible for what has come before but the continuation of these epic collapses is get very depressing. It is the build up of hope and expectation then a crushing reality that is difficult to take. Last night was salt in an already festering wound - it was totally embarrassing given how much Mel has ploughed into the team and the opposition. I don't condone a lot of Mel's antics but I don't think many of us would have blamed him if he acted irrationally (and it would have been) and sacked Rowett last night...it was one of those nights. I can't imagine watching that if I'd spunked tens of millions for the privledge.

Archived