Does Rowett deserve to be here next season?

Sexydadbod

19 minutes ago, KCG said:

Yes he does, because you don't ask a manger to off-load your best players and replace with make-shift and expect miracles, especially when it's been obvious for an age that our squad just isn't good enough.

You simply can't defend his tactics and team selections though.

I mean starting Jerome ahead of Nugent or Lawrence for Palmer.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I genuinely feel for him in terms of the players he has at his disposal. But then again, isn't that partly his fault? He may have been powerless to stop Hughes and Ince from leaving, but he decided to sign Lawrence and Jerome.

The short-term view is killing this club. Mel Morris' reckless spending started it all off.

We need to start all over again. Target young players who can grow here. And I'm not talking about buying prospets from Premier League sides who clearly have an ego, as then you end up with powderpuff nancys like Lawrence who strut around the place like they're Cristiano Ronaldo.

We need to look at teams like Fulham and to an extent Brentford, and match that philosophy.

I'd take a couple of midtable finishes if it means building a likeable young squad who play good football, similar to the 2012/13 side we had during Clough's last season in charge. Then it only needs a few missing pieces to get to 2013/14 levels.

Right now we look a world away from that standard. Is Rowett capable of building a young squad? His dad-army signings suggest not. Not that Hudds, Ledley and Davies haven't been great, but come on they're short-term stop-gap signings only. One or two, like Eustace is valuable, but don't bring in four of five FFS.

A team will only be successful when it’s players are prepared to flock round a team mate in trouble, pressurise the opposition relentlessly and be available to receive the ball at all times.

We don’t display any of those attributes at the moment.

Our passing is abysmal and often brainless. Casual, hopeful flicks followed by a sulky shrug.

Is that because we have a poor manager? Or is it the recruitment of players who are mentally weak?

I walked away very early this season. I had the feeling that something was very wrong somewhere along the line. I'm not proud of turning my back on the club, but they have turned their back on flair and entertainment and replaced it with I know not what.

I'm not going to call for the manager's head - I hope that he is still able to turn things around, but I wouldn't be surprised if we parted company sooner rather than later. I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't win another game this season.

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority here but GR should stay next season.  This squad is crippled by past failures and needs to be disbanded.

MM has already said there will be no heavy investment next season and imo a couple of seasons mid-table getting rid of these players bringing in a new young, determined group would help us no end - the more we keep going near the top 6 the more the bottler tag sticks.  Take a step back, shift these players out, lower the wage bill and invest in scouting young players then go again.

If we change managers another promotion challenge will be expected despite the fact that the majority of the players (being hampered by past serious injuries, another year on the clock and memories of past failures) will be the same.

13 minutes ago, Alex W said:

He might as well be. We can't change again. It's pointless. I've long since been bored with the way he plays football, lines his side up and I'm of the opinion that he buggered up what little he did have in January's mess of a window but if we're backing a manager we're backing him. Our football is play-offs at the very best, we're merely levelling out, regardless of the debacle tonight. 

I didn't think we looked very good when we were winning with Vydra magic and streaked our way to the automatics. That might sound daft but we just didn't look good to me. Solid yes but nothing much else, no nice football, hook and run stuff with a star performer. Vydra went off the boil, we lose Winnall, the squad is then weakened in January and that's that. 

We needed a winger tonight, we currently don't own one. We let Russell go on his jollies without a plan in place before releasing him, nigh on incompetence. All Sunderland needed was crosses into the box, all of our players barring Weimann are narrow. We couldn't have worked them better if we'd tried, the pieces aren't there.

Give Rowett another year because, quite frankly, who else would we get? We don't have any intention as a club of whatever on earth the 'Derby Way' is if this is what we're serving up so if we're going percentage stuff he's the best man for it. 

Fulham have the system that we should've never deviated from. I blame everyone in the hierarchy for abandoning that, regardless of the Clement boredom that followed McLarens second season. 

A lot of people seem to like Rowetts football and they are welcome to it, I'll nod my head and stop watching. Here's to a team of Jerome's, ladies and gentleman. All working, all running, all percentage. 

Ah well. And to think, I actually like Gary. 

That's pretty much my opinion summed up. Very well articulated, sir.

Jokanovic would have been my first choice to replace Rowett if he went to Stoke but he will be out of reach as Fulham have been brilliant since.

Someone like Dean Smith(Brentford manager and my alternative choice) would be someone who would bring in younger players and he plays football in an entertaining way.

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I’m tempted to say yes because, in my eyes, McClaren got sacked for less.

But

We just can’t sack another manager, we genuinely can’t. If we sack him, I’d want Mel gone too, I mean that.

It’s beyond ridiculous now, I think Rowett and McClaren made mistakes in their poor runs but there isn’t much you can do as a manager when you are systemically set up to fail.

Constant change of managers, playing style, playing staff and wage structures has completely ******* us. It’s *******, I really thought we’d be back to some sort of decent financial position this summer but handing out contracts to Ledley, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Thorne and co has done us in again.

My criticism of Rowett would be that this year was meant to be about rebuilding but we did nothing of the sort. Short term signings dropping down from the PL, no inclusion of youth players and the refusal to give Martin (proven striker at this level under 30, in his prime) makes us look like a team throwing the kitchen sink at promotion again.

Honestly, I’m fuming because we just repeated the same mistakes over again.

No one expected a proper promotion push this year, we could have got away with blooding a few kids and signing exclusively young players. But we didn’t.

Rowett has taken us nowhere so far but he should be given the leeway that McClaren wasn’t to right the wrongs of the pay few years.

The Sam Rush revelations have only made it worse. Maybe my worst week as a derby fan since the dark days.

Spot on.

16 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I’m tempted to say yes because, in my eyes, McClaren got sacked for less.

But

We just can’t sack another manager, we genuinely can’t. If we sack him, I’d want Mel gone too, I mean that.

It’s beyond ridiculous now, I think Rowett and McClaren made mistakes in their poor runs but there isn’t much you can do as a manager when you are systemically set up to fail.

Constant change of managers, playing style, playing staff and wage structures has completely ******* us. It’s *******, I really thought we’d be back to some sort of decent financial position this summer but handing out contracts to Ledley, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Thorne and co has done us in again.

My criticism of Rowett would be that this year was meant to be about rebuilding but we did nothing of the sort. Short term signings dropping down from the PL, no inclusion of youth players and the refusal to give Martin (proven striker at this level under 30, in his prime) makes us look like a team throwing the kitchen sink at promotion again.

Honestly, I’m fuming because we just repeated the same mistakes over again.

No one expected a proper promotion push this year, we could have got away with blooding a few kids and signing exclusively young players. But we didn’t.

Rowett has taken us nowhere so far but he should be given the leeway that McClaren wasn’t to right the wrongs of the pay few years.

The Sam Rush revelations have only made it worse. Maybe my worst week as a derby fan since the dark days.

Just because you made mistakes before is the answer stability for the sake of it? If GR is not good enough why wait 2 or 3 years if you know that at year 1?

Archived