Does Rowett deserve to be here next season?

Sexydadbod

Dire. We looked and played like the bottom side with no confidence or belief. Far too many players way off form. The midfield was just chronic. The defence just shambolic. The strikers just got nowhere and created nothing against a defence that has shipped goals this season. It'll take a miracle to pull this lot through for a win on Monday.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care because I've never thought he was that good and I don't think Derby are enjoyable 

But it's harsh. I think any manager will make mistakes and if you never give them time to deal with them then you will sort of constantly face unpredictable seasons and expensive rebuilds.

I think you should change manager when you come to a transfer window and there's no attempt to deal with the obvious weakness. Or when the manager becomes obsessed with immediate results over long term improvement.

I liked "The Derby Way" philosophy. But it's never been adhered to. 

As someone who never wanted Rowett it's not right to call for his head as there's a temptation to want to be proved right? There's like that urge in us all to have our opinions justified. 

It's interesting to read how those who really like him see it

Just now, AdamRam said:

Just because you made mistakes before is the answer stability for the sake of it? If GR is not good enough why wait 2 or 3 years if you know that at year 1?

Completely fair point and I can’t really counter it.

Theres a good chance he’s not up to it, I just personally don’t want to see another manager sacked because they have been set-up to fail by how the club is run.

I hesitate to say it openly on the forum but I really, really wish McClaren had never been sacked.

23 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I'd give him next season if he promises he'll completely overhaul this squad and start from square one. I wouldn't mind if we sold everyone minus Carson, Davies and Vydra. 

So you don’t think Vydra has not been on his phone tonight telling his agent to get him the hell out of this club ? If Vydra’s still here come the start of next season I’ll be amazed.

Unfortunately i think gary has destroyed our playing style; has encouraged a hoof it uncontrolled type of football; has preferred physicality to 'players'. We reap what we sow. Lawrence has been a huge disappointment. And jerome? No need to say anything.

we know that we have to promote young players but you wouldn't want them to be instructed to play this style.

26 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I’m tempted to say yes because, in my eyes, McClaren got sacked for less.

But

We just can’t sack another manager, we genuinely can’t. If we sack him, I’d want Mel gone too, I mean that.

It’s beyond ridiculous now, I think Rowett and McClaren made mistakes in their poor runs but there isn’t much you can do as a manager when you are systemically set up to fail.

Constant change of managers, playing style, playing staff and wage structures has completely ******* us. It’s *******, I really thought we’d be back to some sort of decent financial position this summer but handing out contracts to Ledley, Davies, Huddlestone, Jerome, Thorne and co has done us in again.

My criticism of Rowett would be that this year was meant to be about rebuilding but we did nothing of the sort. Short term signings dropping down from the PL, no inclusion of youth players and the refusal to give Martin (proven striker at this level under 30, in his prime) makes us look like a team throwing the kitchen sink at promotion again.

Honestly, I’m fuming because we just repeated the same mistakes over again.

No one expected a proper promotion push this year, we could have got away with blooding a few kids and signing exclusively young players. But we didn’t.

Rowett has taken us nowhere so far but he should be given the leeway that McClaren wasn’t to right the wrongs of the pay few years.

The Sam Rush revelations have only made it worse. Maybe my worst week as a derby fan since the dark days.

A thoughtful post, and one I'd agree with 100% if the football, even when successful, wasn't quite so dire under Rowett. I want us to commit to a manager, but I'd prefer if it was one that delivered a tiny bit more entertainment value

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I liked "The Derby Way" philosophy. But it's never been adhered to. 

As someone who never wanted Rowett it's not right to call for his head as there's a temptation to want to be proved right? There's like that urge in us all to have our opinions justified. 

It's interesting to read how those who really like him see it

Completely get that, I could bring myself to like Rowett and support him but I was completely heartbroken when Mac unfairly got the sack.

Part of me wants him sacked so if Ninos ever comes back on the forum, I can say I told him so just as much as he did to me.

But part of me thinks there’s not really a decision left to us that can fix this mess other than time. Need time to let these ******** contracts run out and these garbage players **** off.

Back to the Nigel Clough days.

I think he should be given until the end of next season and then see but I don’t like the way we set up and play and we have the leagues top scorer but the January transfer window was so poor for me

to put it plainly our players are inferior to what we used to have three or four years ago

I didn't think we looked very good when we thrashed Hull 5-0 at home, but I was still very happy when we kept taking the points and ended up top of the table at Xmas. He must have been doing something right.

Now we still don't look very good and have also stopped taking the points, but we are still in a playoff position with a game in hand.

I dont't thing anything would be gained by sacking Gary now.

If we do get promoted, we'll come straight back down and he'll be gone anyway.

33 minutes ago, Alex W said:

He might as well be. We can't change again. It's pointless. I've long since been bored with the way he plays football, lines his side up and I'm of the opinion that he buggered up what little he did have in January's mess of a window but if we're backing a manager we're backing him. Our football is play-offs at the very best, we're merely levelling out, regardless of the debacle tonight. 

I didn't think we looked very good when we were winning with Vydra magic and streaked our way to the automatics. That might sound daft but we just didn't look good to me. Solid yes but nothing much else, no nice football, hook and run stuff with a star performer. Vydra went off the boil, we lose Winnall, the squad is then weakened in January and that's that. 

We needed a winger tonight, we currently don't own one. We let Russell go on his jollies without a plan in place before releasing him, nigh on incompetence. All Sunderland needed was crosses into the box, all of our players barring Weimann are narrow. We couldn't have worked them better if we'd tried, the pieces aren't there.

Give Rowett another year because, quite frankly, who else would we get? We don't have any intention as a club of whatever on earth the 'Derby Way' is if this is what we're serving up so if we're going percentage stuff he's the best man for it. 

Fulham have the system that we should've never deviated from. I blame everyone in the hierarchy for abandoning that, regardless of the Clement boredom that followed McLarens second season. 

A lot of people seem to like Rowetts football and they are welcome to it, I'll nod my head and stop watching. Here's to a team of Jerome's, ladies and gentleman. All working, all running, all percentage. 

Ah well. And to think, I actually like Gary. 

That’s a very level headed, articulate post. Despite what we’ve just witnessed. 

Kudos, sir. Kudos.

We weren’t that good when we were ‘good’.

Rowett is a confident man, but his team isn’t. 

We've seen teams play well and we know when they have that magic sauce.

And we’ve seen them when they’ve been ‘A Paul Jewell team’

This team is neither of those extremes.

if we keep losing or just being bang average until the end of the season then get rid. How much else is there to see?

but if Rowett throws off some shackles, plays some kids, gives us something to root for and wins our hearts, then maybe.....maybe. We’ll give him another season ......?

Archived