Kasey Palmer and Vydra

B4ev6is

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vydra doesn't play well upfront by himself, and Palmer has never played there. It won't work. Vydra looked rubbish when played without a striker alongside him, number 10 is his role. Palmer has never played upfront and therefore, why would we try it when we have players fit that do play that role? Seems a bit too idealistic. 

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

he did on saturday mate and scored

He wasn't upfront though, he was in number 10, and it's a totally different role. Jerome was up with Palmer. Whilst they're both good players, they're a bit similar, and I don't think they can play together.

Vydra benefits from the space created by a centre forward playing 15 yards ahead of him and pressurising defenders.

Palmer would struggle to fulfil that role and both he or Vydra would be easily dealt with by central defenders who are bigger and stronger. 

It would be a big ask for the two of them to have to keep coming deep for the ball to start attacks especially as both find 90 minutes a stretch.

Interesting as a 15 minute experiment though.

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Steve Nicholson said it would be interesting to see them both in the same team. It would. Maybe palmer starting out wide.

I’d like to see that given a go after watching Palmer at Reading. It might fail but Palmer has a trick or two and nimble feet.

Maybe not the pace of Weimann but pair him and Lawrence wide who impressed me, bring Vydra back deep and take your form pick of Jerome or Nugent.

Worth a look to me.

Vydra struggles without a proper center forward who's either big or does a lot of running for him. 

I'd rather see Palmer and Lawrence on the wings with Vydra and Jerome up top, really dangerous attacking four. Only thing that would worry me is our defensive shape but if Forsyth comes back into the mix with Wisdom, we look fairly solid at the back too.

Leave Jerome or Nuge up top to make a nuisance of himself amongst the defence giving Lawrence, Vydra & Palmer the freedom to create magic. 

Sounds perfect to me and I fully expect Lawrence/Vydra/Palmer to start together on Saturday. It's not even a gamble - just common sense.

It’s be very interesting to have them line up together but it would certainly be... experimental. Imo they’re two of our best technical footballers who really do need to be playing together, but who would play number 9? Vydra may be better now he’s got more confidence but he’s struggled there before, and I’m fairly sure Palmer hasn’t played that before. That said however, I actually think putting Palmer there may be a risk worth taking- Nugent and Jerome have been pretty ineffective recently so we wouldn’t be losing much there, and I actually think Palmer has got the control to play there judging by his performance at Reading.

Naturally there’s the option to put Palmer on the right, which I think is what will happen, but I just worry that may negate his ability- his technique and ball retention is more suited to the centre than wide, where pace, crossing ability etc come into play more.

Need some pace down the right to stretch the field and give Huddlestone an outball. Don’t think Palmer offers that on the right and Weimann’s been pretty good recently/this season.

Dont think you can drop Lawrence off the back of a decent performance and Vydra is undroppable at 10.

Hudderfield fans said Palmer was decent at 9, had good hold up play and he’s probably still physically more useful than Nugent. I think that’s the only way you can get him in the team this Saturday, think he’ll only find a place in the starting XI permanently if he consistently outperforms Lawrence or Vydra gets injured.

I’d stick with Jerome up top though. I think we need more physicality there, it’s frustrating when we put in a cross and no one’s there for it, or able to beat a defender in the air. Jerome offers the hold up play of Palmer with added physicality. He’s been playing there at this level or above for years, stick with him and he’ll get another goal soon.

If Jerome hits form, I think he’s got the capability to drag our attack back into action. I don’t think teams are too concerned about facing anyone except Vydra right now, as Rowett’s alluded to, we need more goals from around the team.

If Rowett was willing to put Anya at RB to support Palmer down the right, I’d like it but that takes away from our defensive whole set-up, which is the foundation of our promotion push. Frustrating that while Palmer is clearly a good player who I’m happy to have, he doesn’t slot right into the starting XI and improve us the way Lookman would have.

15 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I’d like to see that given a go after watching Palmer at Reading. It might fail but Palmer has a trick or two and nimble feet.

Maybe not the pace of Weimann but pair him and Lawrence wide who impressed me, bring Vydra back deep and take your form pick of Jerome or Nugent.

Worth a look to me.

And bring Weimann on a la Russell as an impact. .. Worth a go for me too 

Anyone who sees Palmer on the team sheet is going to be diverting resources to stop him, which in terms of an attack would give Nygent or Jerome more room 

On 27/02/2018 at 16:27, lrm14 said:

Vydra struggles without a proper center forward who's either big or does a lot of running for him. 

I'd rather see Palmer and Lawrence on the wings with Vydra and Jerome up top, really dangerous attacking four. Only thing that would worry me is our defensive shape but if Forsyth comes back into the mix with Wisdom, we look fairly solid at the back too.

I think Palmer and Lawrence on the wings would put a bit of pressure on the full backs who arent doing so well as it is. Maybe a few more 3-3 draws to come?l

On 2/27/2018 at 16:27, lrm14 said:

That’s our best team at the moment 

Archived