Derby County vs Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The problem is the attacking four. Vydra will leave unless we sort out his attacking partners. Weimann does ok at times, but the rest are either poor or collectively out of form. Johnny russell made an interesting comment after he left. He said he preferred to play for teams who press high up the pitch so that when he receives the ball, he is closer to the goal. We sit deep and then hoof it. Those four have a lot of work to do chasing up and down and competing for scraps and second balls. You could see vydra getting frustrated. One incident summed up lawrence for me. Overlapping on the left with a great opportunity to deliver a ball across the face of the goal, he elected to try to cross with the outside of his right boot ??? With predictable results. Wtf is all that about. It needs someone to get into his head and alter a few switches.

Personally I see very little hoof it. 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, don't post very often but here is my take on last night....

We somehow managed to turn a comfortable and routine home win into a lucky draw. If you concede not one but two soft goals you probably don't deserve to be promoted. Dire defending by Olson for both goals, IMO.

I thought we played well first half and should perhaps have been 2 or 3 goals up. We did however look edgy and fell behind but we managed to score just before the half time whistle and I thought that we would push on in the 2nd half and win by 2, 3 or even 4 - 1 against an ordinary looking Leeds side. Instead we conceded an awful 2nd goal from our own free kick in their final third. In the end we were perhaps a little fortunate to grab a late equalizer.

Huddleston for me was our standout performer by some distance but Nugent seemed to have a nightmarish 2nd half, Jerome needed to be on much earlier. Lawrence did well and deserved to stay on but Vydra was kept very quiet and for me should have been replaced by Palmer in the No 10 role. Not a huge fan of Weiman but he took his goal well and seemed to become more confident as the game wore on.

Forsyth needs to come in for Reading at the weekend, otherwise the same team. Still a long way to go but we desperately need a win.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

I just don't see the "potential"; for me he hasn't get the cognitive apparatus nor the physical presence to turn his possession into anything other than yet another goal kick. In stark contrast, Kasey Palmer is a rich man's Tom Lawrence. 

Kasey Palmer is a rich club's Tom Lawrence!

Didn't Lawrence hit the bar last night. though? I thought Lawrence did better last night. A few wild shots but he played well generally and once he started taking on his man second half looked really bright.

55 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The problem is the attacking four. Vydra will leave unless we sort out his attacking partners. Weimann does ok at times, but the rest are either poor or collectively out of form. Johnny russell made an interesting comment after he left. He said he preferred to play for teams who press high up the pitch so that when he receives the ball, he is closer to the goal. We sit deep and then hoof it. Those four have a lot of work to do chasing up and down and competing for scraps and second balls. You could see vydra getting frustrated. One incident summed up lawrence for me. Overlapping on the left with a great opportunity to deliver a ball across the face of the goal, he elected to try to cross with the outside of his right boot ??? With predictable results. Wtf is all that about. It needs someone to get into his head and alter a few switches.

Interesting comment.

I thought that both at Wednesday and against Leeds we played further forward as a result of dominating possession. For me, this leaves less room in behind the opposing defence for our forwards to play in. This in turn seems to have a negative effect on our finishing, which is more rushed as we've run out of pitch to play in.

Probably not explaining it very well, but I know what I mean (trying to explain why we are having more shots, but less clinical.)

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well as for me I'm looking forward to the next 13 games. I'm hopeful of us finishing on 98 points. What's the problem? Up The Rams.

Me too ! :thumbsup: of course it was disappointing that we didn't take our chances and as a consequence dropped 2 points but the team worked very hard and played some nice stuff. Should have won, but that's football, we are trying to play it the right way and in most games this season have succeeded. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Precisely...faulty hardwiring not software. 

Problem was the two goals conceded both bad goals. Same against wendies. Both games we should have scored more but we out pressure on ourselves if we start conceding silly goals. 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Didn't Lawrence hit the bar last night. though? I thought Lawrence did better last night. A few wild shots but he played well generally and once he started taking on his man second half looked really bright.

Yes Angie and I also think the shoot on sight game he was playing yesterday was a result of an instruction from GR to believe in himself, not hesitate and have a go. He might have taken it a touch literally though :whistle:

26 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Personally I see very little hoof it. 

Seems to be a very common misconception used to belittle Rowetts style of play, sure we ain’t a possession side, but neither are we a long ball Sam allardyce side either. General speaking when we do settle down and play the ball we play some good stuff, particularly when the likes of Vydra and Huddlestone are on the ball. It’s only when we panic that the long balls become aimless, I saw little of that until near the end last night.

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

Yes he did...jack-hammered it no less. The sound echoed around for a good few milliseconds...that unmistakable "thud" like a tree has just been felled. 

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

By selling relatively young players and signing older players surely he has gambled on getting promoted. As things stand that isn't nailed on nor are even the play-offs. I appreciate Gary Rowett hasn't had financial freedom due to the decisions made by the previous Chief Executive and managers, and that the signings of Davis and Huddlestone weren't expensive at least on transfer fees but the current squad doesn't leave much of a foundation for the future.

I am not sure he gambled on promotion but maybe wanted to secure the season as he was going to weed out a lot of high earners which will carry on doing next season as well I suspect but at least our younger players are getting some real football and could well be used going forward 

16 minutes ago, chadlad said:

We somehow managed to turn a comfortable and routine home win into a lucky draw. If you concede not one but two soft goals you probably don't deserve to be promoted. Dire defending by Olson for both goals, IMO.

I thought we played well first half and should perhaps have been 2 or 3 goals up. We did however look edgy and fell behind but we managed to score just before the half time whistle and I thought that we would push on in the 2nd half and win by 2, 3 or even 4 - 1 against an ordinary looking Leeds side. Instead we conceded an awful 2nd goal from our own free kick in their final third. In the end we were perhaps a little fortunate to grab a late equalizer.

Huddleston for me was our standout performer by some distance but Nugent seemed to have a nightmarish 2nd half, Jerome needed to be on much earlier. Lawrence did well and deserved to stay on but Vydra was kept very quiet and for me should have been replaced by Palmer in the No 10 role. Not a huge fan of Weiman but he took his goal well and seemed to become more confident as the game wore on.

Forsyth needs to come in for Reading at the weekend, otherwise the same team. Still a long way to go but we desperately need a win.

I was surprised at just how deep Vydra played. He looked exasperated by Lawrence’s poor decision making, though the latter did show glimpses of talent.

I was disturbed by how panicky we looked when Leeds attacked. Lots of lunge tackles and scuffed clearances.

We need a confidence boosting win and then the players who are getting berated at present will become heroes again.

Huddlestone showed moments of class last night but will have nightmares about that effort into the side netting! I think he needs to venture further forward so Vydra and co are more advanced. Ledley is happy sitting back.

Forsyth and Olssen seem to take it in turns to screw up. Could BJ do a job there? His cameo performance in midfield was a disaster.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Seems to be a very common misconception used to belittle Rowetts style of play, sure we ain’t a possession side, but neither are we a long ball Sam allardyce side either. General speaking when we do settle down and play the ball we play some good stuff, particularly when the likes of Vydra and Huddlestone are on the ball. It’s only when we panic that the long balls become aimless, I saw little of that until near the end last night.

I thought we played the ball more on the floor in the first half than I've seen this season but it's not very joined up or comfortable yet....

However there were still far too many long balls down the wing that just didn't connect with anyone when the pressure came on.I don't mind Huddlestones efforts but the rest were wasteful.

If much rather see us continuing to develop our football to the feet and getting the team confident with that.

28 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Great post...you should do it more often. 4 brilliant points which I'm in total agreement with. For me, Olson isn't a left-back because his first job should be to tackle and defend yet he really seems to be incapable of that. In contrast, Forsyth can at least snuff out attackers. Olson should have "prevented" both goals by fair means or foul. He looked to me like a school-boy left back who has watched Man Ure too often...all prettiness and no testicles. :mellow:

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I was surprised at just how deep Vydra played. He looked exasperated by Lawrence’s poor decision making, though the latter did show glimpses of talent.

I was disturbed by how panicky we looked when Leeds attacked. Lots of lunge tackles and scuffed clearances.

We need a confidence boosting win and then the players who are getting berated at present will become heroes again.

Huddlestone showed moments of class last night but will have nightmares about that effort into the side netting! I think he needs to venture further forward so Vydra and co are more advanced. Ledley is happy sitting back.

Forsyth and Olssen seem to take it in turns to screw up. Could BJ do a job there? His cameo performance in midfield was a disaster.

I know it’s simple observations but when Forsyth plays we generally don’t let goals in but we generally do when Olson plays especially down the left hand side, one thing I can say positively about Johnson is that he does shoot which many don’t and he is our equal third highest goal scorer left currently if only he could put some of them on target! 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Great post...you should do it more often. 4 brilliant points which I'm in total agreement with. For me, Olson isn't a left-back because his first job should be to tackle and defend yet he really seems to be incapable of that. In contrast, Forsyth can at least snuff out attackers. Olson should have "prevented" both goals by fair means or foul. He looked to me like a school-boy left back who has watched Man Ure too often...all prettiness and no testicles. :mellow:

Love it 

Now I've calmed down, my 2p:

1. I'm in the East stand and Leeds fans out-sang us comprehensively. I think our fans are nervous and that translated onto the pitch

2. This shaped the way I viewed the game at the time (I was irritated throughout) but still, we never controlled it. They're not a good side but we allowed them to dictate too much (not possession, the tempo really).

3. Their first goal was a collection of errors - all 4 of our players (5 perhaps) were at fault to some degree or another - very bad luck all round for there to be 3 or 4 key errors 

4. To blame Carson for the 2nd goal is crazy - it was an excellent save initially and only Leeds (or Leicester) would get a rebound like that 

5. Hudds was outstanding - tackling, positioning, motivation, etc - I watched him carefully and I was impressed. He looks very fit and I'm not sure this 'lack of mobility' is true anymore and he's winning his fair share of headers. A Captain's performance for me.

6. Lawrence - improved but so annoying - he makes bad decisions at key times. He irritates me. His corners were better but we still didn't have a decent chance from a lot of corners

7. Baird - what the hell?! He was back to his casual, mardy ways of a few years ago when we turned on him. Poor game, poor body language, poor attitude. He had a very bad day. 

8. Olsson - not my favourite player but worked very, very hard - Forsyth has been shocking so he's our only option

9. Ref was a ****. Picky and too keen to be centre of attention

10. Vyds looked dangerous every time he had the ball - quality player. Worked hard at winning the ball back and basically forced himself into a messy game where he used to disappear. He's improving and maturing under Rowett

11. Ultimately, we needed to calm down and control it more by not rushing so much - given the experience in the side I'm surprised that we allowed it to be such a 'bitty' game. We played into their hands.

12. I fkn hate Leeds!

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not sure he gambled on promotion but maybe wanted to secure the season as he was going to weed out a lot of high earners which will carry on doing next season as well I suspect but at least our younger players are getting some real football and could well be used going forward 

Gary generally says one thing but does another...I think harrows not far off the mark on this one.

If it works and we get promoted then all well and good but if not and we end up back in the championship we need to start bringing our academy through the team and developing a long term plan for the future.

8 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

Now I've calmed down, my 2p:

1. I'm in the East stand and Leeds fans out-sang us comprehensively. I think our fans are nervous and that translated onto the pitch

2. This shaped the way I viewed the game at the time (I was irritated throughout) but still, we never controlled it. They're not a good side but we allowed them to dictate too much (not possession, the tempo really).

3. Their first goal was a collection of errors - all 4 of our players (5 perhaps) were at fault to some degree or another - very bad luck all round for there to be 3 or 4 key errors 

4. To blame Carson for the 2nd goal is crazy - it was an excellent save initially and only Leeds (or Leicester) would get a rebound like that 

5. Hudds was outstanding - tackling, positioning, motivation, etc - I watched him carefully and I was impressed. He looks very fit and I'm not sure this 'lack of mobility' is true anymore and he's winning his fair share of headers. A Captain's performance for me.

6. Lawrence - improved but so annoying - he makes bad decisions at key times. He irritates me. His corners were better but we still didn't have a decent chance from a lot of corners

7. Baird - what the hell?! He was back to his casual, mardy ways of a few years ago when we turned on him. Poor game, poor body language, poor attitude. He had a very bad day. 

8. Olsson - not my favourite player but worked very, very hard - Forsyth has been shocking so he's our only option

9. Ref was a ****. Picky and too keen to be centre of attention

10. Vyds looked dangerous every time he had the ball - quality player. Worked hard at winning the ball back and basically forced himself into a messy game where he used to disappear. He's improving and maturing under Rowett

11. Ultimately, we needed to calm down and control it more by not rushing so much - given the experience in the side I'm surprised that we allowed it to be such a 'bitty' game. We played into their hands.

12. I fkn hate Leeds!

A great post...don't agree with #7 and #8 but respect your views. #6...yep I too am finding TL "irritating". His decision-making is abysmal so frequently that it leads me to suggest that he just doesn't "get it". No end product and I don't expect to see any, any time soon. 

Archived