Derby County vs Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone tell me how Rowett’s decisions to sell Hughes, and loan out Martin and Elsnick has not cost us big time, when all we have left as strikers are ‘well past their best’ Nugent and Jerome, and we have ‘journeyman’ Ledley in midfield when we could have had the vastly superior Hughes or Elsnick ? Tonight’s game was a perfect example of how he has chosen negative pragmatism over a strategy based on superior skill, flair and adventurous tactics .. 

The manager has to take the rap for this, there’s nowhere for him to hide, these were his (ridiculous) decisions ! 

OK, so another 2 dropped points in a game we were expected to win but, at least (in my opinion) it was a very entertaining game even though not the highest quality. It's always good to score a very late goal and, with that, the entertainment and a more realistic expectation for our final league position, strangely, I don't feel too upset. 

You're living in Cloud cuckoo land.

I like Martin too, and i see how good he is... but the fact is he isnt very mobile.

Hughes at his best was the best playmaker we have had in generations.. at his worst, games passed him by.

I found him infuriating, give his talent.

Derby played as well tonight and created as many chances as i have seen in a many a long year with martin and with hughes.

Our inability to score tonight has nothing to do with your knee jerk opinions. Its luck, and its in the hands of the gods.

I would take a midfield of hudds and Ledley over any team with hughes or any other favourite we had in bryson, hendrick etc.

I take it you have selective memory in the hundreds of games where teams sucessfully frustrated the likes of Martin and Hughes

one thing that frustrates me... is how games fall, who gets in form, who sacks their manager and then gets an instant improvement etc etc.

This kind of fortune can of course truly decide who goes up and who doesnt.

id love to have played Leeds in Christiansens last game, 10 men down early on, throw towell in, and lose 4-1 to cardiff.

Pretty sure cardiff didnt get to play norwich after an amazing unbeaten run.. and as for their perfornmance away at wednesday.... it was similar to leeds performance tonight... get out of jail free card.

Just got home. Went with my Leeds-supporting mate who agreed we were sh** in the second half and they were sh** in the first. Few things:

- Thought at first Olson was at fault for their first goal, but having watched the replays it' clear that Carson/Keogh/Davies should have dealt with that.

- Poor free kick from Palmer meant we got caught upfield for their second. 

- Nugent had what seemed to be his worst game of the season tonight. Sliced a good chance early on and missed an even better one afterwards on his left foot.

- Lawrence started badly but really grew into the game I thought. Huddlestone and Ledley were solid in the middle.

- I'm really worried for Vydra. I don' know if he was just knackered or if he just wasn't getting service but he looked very frustrated at times. I thought he barely got a sniff of the ball tonight.

All in all, it was a good first half showing and a pretty dire second half which we salvaged at the end. We're not anywhere near clinical enough in front of the opposition goal and it is very frustrating to watch. We're missing the Vydra-Nugent link up that made us such a threat earlier in the season. I'd give that performance a 6/10.

I like seeing Tom Lawrence like that,always looking to take his man on.

If we play like we did in the first half for the rest of the season we will be fine.

I forgot to say and I know we’re probably on our own but I love watching Huddlestone,he’s really got going nicely this season.

Glass half full and all that.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Totally agree with this , I thought that the fans were very vocal tonight and if we didn’t sound it on the tele' it was because the Leeds fans were even louder. The only time they stopped was when our second went in.

As usual, a voice of sanity surronded by lots of crazy talk.

6 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Can anyone tell me how Rowett’s decisions to sell Hughes, and loan out Martin and Elsnick has not cost us big time, when all we have left as strikers are ‘well past their best’ Nugent and Jerome, and we have ‘journeyman’ Ledley in midfield when we could have had the vastly superior Hughes or Elsnick ? Tonight’s game was a perfect example of how he has chosen negative pragmatism over a strategy based on superior skill, flair and adventurous tactics .. 

The manager has to take the rap for this, there’s nowhere for him to hide, these were his (ridiculous) decisions ! 

By selling relatively young players and signing older players surely he has gambled on getting promoted. As things stand that isn't nailed on nor are even the play-offs. I appreciate Gary Rowett hasn't had financial freedom due to the decisions made by the previous Chief Executive and managers, and that the signings of Davis and Huddlestone weren't expensive at least on transfer fees but the current squad doesn't leave much of a foundation for the future.

7 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Its called buying players for a set system/style of play. Something we haven't done in years. Were in the best position we've been in for years and have the best manager we've had in years , don't think he needs to justify selling or buying who he has. Plus add into that the factor that were actually still in profit this year from transfer dealings and have a significantly lower wage bill. Were 4th 5 points off the top 2 with 13 games and 39 points to play for get some perspective.

Hughes never really kicked on and didn't affect games like he used to. I agree I would like to see Elsnick. 

Russell is the horror one for me. Who on earth lets a player with championship experience, play-off experience, knows the club and system, leave without having a replacement that ticked those boxes? 

I feel the fans (obviously), the players and the manager are all nervous and feeling the pressure. 

The first half, Leeds were giving us possession. They were slow and awful in possession (when they had the ball briefly) and showed no ambition going forward. We looked fine until the final ball or pass. Once we’d missed one chance or never created it cleanly, the pressure seemed to be on. We couldn’t seem to get into the “clinical gear”. We couldn’t work their keeper (who should have been nervous after his last performance) enough. The body language of some players could be described as anguish. Some didn’t seem to be enjoying it.

Before they scored, they had men over behind Olson in a few situations where they put in poor crosses and I felt we were fortunate not to find ourselves in trouble. 

When they did score, a poor goal from our perspective, it gave them something to hold on to. To our credit, we came back and they conceded a poor goal from their perspective. (Also, Curtis had his shirt pulled and it should have been a penalty)

All in all, a nervy but ok first half where if we’d scored first, I think we may have got a couple more and the crowd could have relaxed and competed against the Leeds crowd too...

Second half, we again huffed and puffed in the final third. Once they brought on an actual footballer, Saiz, they looked the more composed in possession. I felt our defending became nervous. We conceded another poor goal and I expected them to nick a third. I was elated and surprised that we equalised and Palmer put in a potentially match winning cross after that.

All in all frustrating. GR’s interview was predictable. Full of stats and “realities”. A slight dig at the fans but I guess that’s pressure too. I hope he now stops talking about decisions against Bristol and Millwall and how many shots we had against Leeds and properly takes it one game at a time.

Onwards and upwards! Huddlestone, whom I wasn’t convinced by earlier in the season, has been immense. I hope some players can take a leaf out of his composure book!!

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Keogh was well out of position and wasn't even trying to get back into where he should be! Culpable, for me.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I respect your viewpoint but for me Olson standing twenty feet away from a man running behind him and Carson were at fault but like you said the CB needed to nearer

It was a cracking perfect diagonal ball and a stunning cross put away with some skill.  It wasn't a duff goal.  I wouldn't be expecting Olson to be standing on his man for 90 mins.  I think he could have done better but he was done by a great ball.  Once that has happened it is likely that the defence is out of position which it was.  For me the biggest mistake was Scotty.  Where that ball was played is his weakest area.  He had more time and a better view of what was happening than anybody else and should have done a lot better

Every goal can be stopped with the benefit of hindsight though

Derby looked on a par with Leeds. Keogh lost Lassogga for the first. Awful free kick by palmer led to the second. Did well to salvage a draw. I was pining for chris martin. Nuge looked past it and Jerome ineffective. Vydra played well but was sucked deep. Good in parts. Ugly in parts. Predicted a draw so can't get too excited by the result.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Derby looked on a par with Leeds. Keogh lost Lassogga for the first. Awful free kick by palmer led to the second. Did well to salvage a draw. I was pining for chris martin. Nuge looked past it and Jerome ineffective. Vydra played well but was sucked deep. Good in parts. Ugly in parts. Predicted a draw so can't get too excited by the result.

Sounded like the derby faithful were booing Palmer after the free kick, is that right?

Archived