SpaceX

Day

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We've learnt a lot in the last 50/60 years. I hope you'll be surprised by what becomes possible.

With autonomous robot workers, artificial intelligence, genetic and bioengineering and much more, coupled with the incredible pace of learning now that access to knowledge has been made childsplay, there are grounds for hoping a Martian terraforming project will work well. I'm at a conference on Mars colonization in three weeks, so will report back after that! :)

I hope we do get there. Still cant see it being within the next 20 years. But who knows.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the stuff that fires imaginations in the young ones & gets them interested in science. My little one was transfixed by the video this morning & was rushing off down the path to tell the women at her Breakfast Club all about it. No doubt she'll be drawing it for the next few weeks.

Great stuff.

Loved the nod to Douglas Adams as well. He would have liked that.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We've learnt a lot in the last 50/60 years. I hope you'll be surprised by what becomes possible.

With autonomous robot workers, artificial intelligence, genetic and bioengineering and much more, coupled with the incredible pace of learning now that access to knowledge has been made childsplay, there are grounds for hoping a Martian terraforming project will work well. I'm at a conference on Mars colonization in three weeks, so will report back after that! :)

I'll come with you. Happy to tell them they have no chance.

Time to start appreciating just how special this planet is. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

I'll come with you. Happy to tell them they have no chance.

Time to start appreciating just how special this planet is. 

How can you write it off so easily? It might take a number of attempts and happen well after everyone in this forum is dead and buried, but eventually we will have people living elsewhere in our solar system, of that I am convinced.

26 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How can you write it off so easily? It might take a number of attempts and happen well after everyone in this forum is dead and buried, but eventually we will have people living elsewhere in our solar system, of that I am convinced.

Hopefully, if we don't nuke ourselves back to the stone age first.

16 hours ago, maxjam said:

Was an awesome watch tbh, they just proved they can lift more into space at a vastly cheaper cost than NASA :p

I'm old enough to have been alive when man walked on the Moon - but not old enough to remember it!  I'd like to see man on the Moon (or Mars) in my lifetime (and this time in high-def!) An active space program us ultimately the key to mans survival.

I wagged a day off college to watch the moon landings ,something that you never forget.

10 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Great to watch, the science is superb, but forgive me if I'm wrong - won't this just be used by the US military to throw up ever more advanced satellites for their own projects, further contributing to the space debris problem?

One of the toys Elon Musk's people are developing is a mechanism to pick up the bits.

21 hours ago, David said:

Tonight there is a Tesla floating around in space and you can watch it live, why? Because they can. 

It's ever so slightly more entertaining than that Perrigine webcam on the Cathedral.

Funny as feck, but more entertaining than the Cathedral Peregrine cam? surely you jest?

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Well i could go on for hours to explain why it isn't possible - especially on Mars.

why would anyone think it is possible?

life on this planet has evolved after 4.5 billion years to create a biosphere which is unbelievably complex and well adapted to life on this particular temperate planet which has plentiful water, and - after 2.5 billion years - oxygen. It is almost comical to believe that Man could recreate that same sustainable bio-diversity on another planet from scratch, not least when the target planet is hostile, airless, dry, freezing, barren and bombarded by radiation. the life forms which we would want to transplant there are not adapted to that environment.  life would either starve, freeze, die of thirst, sunburn, or cancer. On the remote chance that bacterial life forms exist on mars then you might add  new and unknown diseases to the list of potential killers. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Well i could go on for hours to explain why it isn't possible - especially on Mars.

life on this planet has evolved after 4.5 billion years to create a biosphere which is unbelievably complex and well adapted to life on this particular temperate planet which has plentiful water, and - after 2.5 billion years - oxygen. It is almost comical to believe that Man could recreate that same sustainable bio-diversity on another planet from scratch, not least when the target planet is hostile, airless, dry, freezing, barren and bombarded by radiation. the life forms which we would want to transplant there are not adapted to that environment.  life would either starve, freeze, die of thirst, sunburn, or cancer. On the remote chance that bacterial life forms exist on mars then you might add  new and unknown diseases to the list of potential killers. 

And 100 years ago, we didn’t think walking in the moon was possible. 40 years ago, we didn’t think that instantaneous communication between the masses was possible. 20 years ago, we didn’t think fitting an entire library’s worth of songs in your pocket was possible. Yesterday we didn’t think landing a rocket after shooting a mannequin to mars was possible. Imagine what we think is not possible now, but might be possible in 20 years time. 

13 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Sadly it was reported earlier today that the 3rd missed and plopped into the Atlantic. 

Still only losing 1/3 of your transport rockets is some way better than the Apollo program managed :thumbsup:

Yep it ran out of fuel whilst landing, big mistake letting Tesla Staff work out how much petrol you need :p

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

350.png

Archived