SpaceX

Day

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

You won't, not outside.

Nor inside unless you manage to heat the place with a heating load which is huge.

you can't insulate and allow sunlight in so is it artificial light everywherevas well? 

Huge energy requirement. 

There is a reason why plants don't grow on the upper slope of mountains.

Too cold

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Nor inside unless you manage to heat the place with a heating load which is huge.

you can't insulate and allow sunlight in so is it artificial light everywherevas well? 

Huge energy requirement. 

There is a reason why plants don't grow on the upper slope of mountains.

Too cold

One thing you do have is sunlight there with very few clouds. So solar power should be possible.

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

There's ways an means the ISS is in orbit and it's -200 odd yet people live on that, they keep water liquid and even grow plants

They don't live there permanently, they visit.

they eat dried food ferried from Earth.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

They don't live there permanently, they visit.

they eat dried food ferried from Earth.

Thats what will probably happen for the first visitors to Mars.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that exists in the so-called habitable zone where liquid water can exist at the surface.

good luck trying elsewhere.

The habitable zone is not set in stone.  The composition of the atmosphere has a significant role to play. With greenhouse gases, the Earth's average surface temp is 15 C. If there were no greenhouse gases in our atmosphere the average surface temperature would be around -18 C. 

Because there is much more greenhouse gases in Venus' atmosphere it's surface temperature is several hundreds of degrees Celsius above what it would be without them (around 460 C).  If we become technologically advanced enough, we can use greenhouse gases as sort of planetary thermostats, and their input into a nascent Martian atmosphere could raise temperatures until such a point that liquid water could exist on the surface, at least close to the equator.

It's distance from the sun need not prevent Mars from being a suitable location for a future human colony.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

The habitable zone is not set in stone.  The composition of the atmosphere has a significant role to play. With greenhouse gases, the Earth's average surface temp is 15 C. If there were no greenhouse gases in our atmosphere the average surface temperature would be around -18 C. 

Because there is much more greenhouse gases in Venus' atmosphere it's surface temperature is several hundreds of degrees Celsius above what it would be without them (around 460 C).  If we become technologically advanced enough, we can use greenhouse gases as sort of planetary thermostats, and their input into a nascent Martian atmosphere could raise temperatures until such a point that liquid water could exist on the surface, at least close to the equator.

It's distance from the sun need not prevent Mars from being a suitable location for a future human colony.

The atmosphere is already 95% greenhouse gas. The thing is mars can't hold on to what little atmosphere is has.

The planet is like carlton cole's head. 

10 hours ago, Aries Sun said:

7686incif5410039.gif

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The atmosphere is already 95% greenhouse gas. The thing is mars can't hold on to what little atmosphere is has.

The good thing is, any colonisation of mars will happen long after our lifetimes, so although I hope that you will one day be proven wrong, as far it matters to any of us, you are right.

But I’m holing we’ll at least get a few visitors there in our lifetime, and maybe a realistic long term plan for colonisation would be exciting. One step at a time. 

31 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

The good thing is, any colonisation of mars will happen long after our lifetimes, so although I hope that you will one day be proven wrong, as far it matters to any of us, you are right.

But I’m holing we’ll at least get a few visitors there in our lifetime, and maybe a realistic long term plan for colonisation would be exciting. One step at a time. 

We will need to solve all of the problems i referred to: no water, no oxygen, no food, -100 deg c temperatures , exposure to radiation, and if that doesn't put us off ....the fact that due to the low atmospheric pressure, water boils at normal body temperature.

If the pioneers don't die of thirst, suffocate, starve, freeze or scorch, then they might just boil in their own skins.

I didn't even realise that water goes straight from solid (ice) to vapour on Mars and never exists in liquid form.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Yes, that is the problem and I think I already mentioned that in an earlier post.

The proportion of the atmosphere that is GHG's is not important for the temperature on Mars, just the overall volume.  A huge quantity is needed to raise temperatures sufficiently.  But as you rightly point out, there is little point trying to build up a Martian atmosphere. as it will be quickly lost to space again due to the solar wind.  What Mars needs is it's own relatively strong magnetosphere to protect any future atmosphere.  No magnetic field for mars = no significant atmosphere and GHG build up = continued freezing temperatures and no prospect of terraforming Mars for humanity. 

So the magnetic field is crucial to all this and apparently NASA are pretty sure that they will be able to create one for Mars in the future.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

We will need to solve all of the problems i referred to: no water, no oxygen, no food, -100 deg c temperatures , exposure to radiation, and if that doesn't put us off ....the fact that due to the low atmospheric pressure, water boils at normal body temperature.

If the pioneers don't die of thirst, suffocate, starve, freeze or scorch, then they might just boil in their own skins.

I didn't even realise that water goes straight from solid (ice) to vapour on Mars and never exists in liquid form.

What you have also failed to take into account is that we don’t know how we will have evolved...it is quite feasible that we might not need all the things you talk about in years to come. Don’t forget, we started off as little sea creatures. 

Archived