SpaceX

Day

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/02/2018 at 15:39, RamNut said:

Ok......

A reasonable estimate on this planet - which is obviously well suited to our needs - is that it requires 0.25hectares of land to produce enough food for one peron. Thats 2500m2 or say 0.6 acre.  for a small community of 20 people thats 50,000m2 of productive farmland or 12 acres. Big building. 1 acre of farmland requires 27,000 gallons of water per week. Thats 1.4 million gallons of water per year. For the 12 acres to support food production for just 20 people thats.......

I know these are copy and pasted figures, but in the theoretical colonisation you'd be on a plant based diet ( the figures you've got probably include for meat production) and would likely be grown in hydroponic system which would be super efficient and requires a lot less water and space than conventional techniques

6 hours ago, Joe. said:

I know these are copy and pasted figures, but in the theoretical colonisation you'd be on a plant based diet ( the figures you've got probably include for meat production) and would likely be grown in hydroponic system which would be super efficient and requires a lot less water and space than conventional techniques

Plant only diet? I’ll give you a week of eating Dracena Marginata’s before you’re craving a sausage 

9 hours ago, Joe. said:

that was not including meat. You could double it for meat.

p.s. Where are you getting the water from for the super-efficient hydroponic system.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

that was not including meat. You could double it for meat.

p.s. Where are you getting the water from for the super-efficient hydroponic system.

Underground ice, if they can get oil from 1000's meters under the sea, I'm sure they could manage a method to get water from that ice

3 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Underground ice, if they can get oil from 1000's meters under the sea, I'm sure they could manage a method to get water from that ice

At -100 degrees C ?

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that exists in the so-called habitable zone where liquid water can exist at the surface.

good luck trying elsewhere.

Just now, Norman said:

What is the temperature on Mars, though.

I'm guessing it has an equator, like Earth?

Just wondering what temperatures reach in Mars' summer? 

During the day maybe high 20's Centigrade. At the equator. But still below 0 over night.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that exists in the so-called habitable zone where liquid water can exist at the surface.

good luck trying elsewhere.

Both Venus and mars are, but the make up of the planets (atmosphere etc) prevents this.

1 minute ago, Norman said:

What is the temperature on Mars, though.

I'm guessing it has an equator, like Earth?

Just wondering what temperatures reach in Mars' summer? 

Mars is a harsh, cold world. It is much colder than Earth; but then, it is also farther from the sun. The small, barren planet also has a thin atmosphere that is 95 percent carbon dioxide. Mars's atmosphere is about 100 times thinner than Earth's. Without a "thermal blanket," Mars can't retain any heat energy. On average, the temperature on Mars is about minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 60 degrees Celsius). In winter, near the poles temperatures can get down to minus 195 degrees F (minus 125 degrees C). A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C). 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What plants will you grow in conditions where everything freezes every single day or night of the year?

There's ways an means the ISS is in orbit and it's -200 odd yet people live on that, they keep water liquid and even grow plants

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What plants will you grow in conditions where everything freezes every single day or night of the year?

You won't, not outside.

Just now, Joe. said:

There's ways an means the ISS is in orbit and it's -200 odd yet people live on that, they keep water liquid and even grow plants

Yeah, they have a boiler :D

1 minute ago, Joe. said:

Its small.

Archived