Baiano or Vydra?

England Ram

Baiano did it all at a higher level, in the Premier League and in Serie A.  What has Vydra done in the Premier League really?  Vydra has been excellent this season and in previous seasons in the Championship, but has yet to prove himself in the top tier. 

So obviously at this point in his career, Vydra still has a long way to go before he can be realistically compared to Baiano.  And it's also true that they are different types of player, so a direct comparison isn't that appropriate. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

He is the magic man!

He comes from far away, and he can play!

Boy can he play!

Bai, Bai, Baiano, Baiano, Baiano,

Bai, Bai, Baiano, Cicco Baiano

Possibly in my top 5 Derby songs, although I was about 14 at the time.

5 hours ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Difficult to compare two players who played for different teams in different leagues, 20 years apart... but having seen both, I'd have to agree with those who said Baiano.

Remember when he smashed in 8 goals in his first 8 games? Great days.

Here's a video we tweeted out of him earlier in the season:

Fashion police hadn’t been formed then which is a pity as his shirt is almost as big as him. Comparing modern kits you realise the size of those things back then :)

Baiano. However, if Vyds smashes in this many next season (in the prem?) then he would get my vote. 

Those clips however do make me miss Eranio.  Played anywhere on the right, or centrally. Had forgotten that everything we did involved him for those few seasons. And he could tackle.

really different players, despite playing in a similar area. Baiano was absolutely class though. magic. that turn he did with the outside of his foot. not pacey, not so strong, just great feet, good balance and  with vision the likes of which we never managed to see again at pride park. yet. what a team player. legend. little pirate. i loved him. its unfair to try to compare vydra to baiano. vydra would win at running. 

4 hours ago, SKRam said:

Fashion police hadn’t been formed then which is a pity as his shirt is almost as big as him. Comparing modern kits you realise the size of those things back then :)

Until a couple of years ago I could still squeeze into my Yellow away kit with Baiano 27 on the back, it was that big when I got it aged 12..!

5 hours ago, SKRam said:

I recently played a 5 a side game in a football shirt which was from a kit that was purchased in 1996. It was massive on me (and I'm 6ft 5). I almost melted in it as well...???

I’m glad that my initial reaction wasn’t misguided glory days thinking. 

Really glad that the thread created such memories as well. 

It is interesting and sad actually, that so many on here have missed such quality gracing our pitch. 

I said to my son today, enjoy watching Vydra, he’s been the best in your 4 years as a season ticket holder and I hope you will be comparing him to other good or great players to play for us as you grow older. He’s not as good as Chicco, but the best we’ve had in a while.  

For us that have had the chance to watch better............the bar has been set very high. 

And for those around in the championship winning season, the rest of us envy what you got to watch. 

Vydra isn't the same kind of No 10 as Cicco, where as Vydra is all about breaking the lines with the ball at his feet and surging into space with it, Cicco was in the space already, ready to turn and pass or lay it off, keeping the move flowing.  You'd never see Vydra delicately playing back-heeled 1-2's with Thorne or Wisdom, whereas you wouldn't see Cicco picking up ball on the half way line and tear arsing towards goal with pace.

Weighing things up

• They played/are playing in completely different sides. 
  • Cicco had better, more like-minded players around him.
  • Vydra is the better goal threat. 
  • Cicco had brilliant vision
  • Vyrda has sensational pace and a thunder cracker of a shot

Decision - I'd take the Little Pirate every day of the week...

15 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Thanks for posting this. It is one of my favourite games, we were awesome that day, it could quite easily of been 7 or 8. We were really that good. I miss a lot of that team. Just imagine if we added a few of them to this team. 

When young lads talk about the likes of Bryson or Martin being great players and legends, they should be sat down and made to watch videos like that.  Some of the players we had, and the football we played was fantastic.  And they weren't even in the top 20 Premier League players at the time!!!

21 hours ago, SKRam said:

That was a large boys shirt. 

Archived