Stronger or Weaker

therealhantsram

Stronger or Weaker  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted about the same. I can see the arguments for stronger in terms of trimming the squad for the way in which Gary intends to develop it, but weaker with regard to personnel available for options/ competition/ cover. 

Russell leaving should have afforded us the opportunity to strengthen the wing and I’m disappointed that we haven’t done that. I was looking forward to hearing about all the weird **** that Grosicki has seen. 

Overall I’m probably less confident about retaining an automatic spot, but still open to being impressed and surprised by what can be achieved by determination, unity and hard work. If Jerome and Palmer bring more attacking flair then we might just do it. 

10 hours ago, Norman said:

Palmer played most of his games in Vydra's position last season. He does in the few cup appearences at Chelsea too. He has a handful of games at RW in his whole career. 

But has scored 5 goals in his his 15 appearances on the wing...

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

But has scored 5 goals in his his 15 appearances on the wing...

Transfermarkt says he has scored one from RW.

Against Port Vale in the cup.

Btw, I'm not against his signing. Maybe he is here to play the Johnson role on the wing. Looks like he is out for a while. 

Rowett, by his actions yesterday, seemed to want a pacy winger, that's why I think we are slightly short.

Personally, I think the answer is - “it depends.”

I think trimming the squad and having a tighter unit is actually an advantage going in to the final half of the season. Not to mention that we’ve paved the way for one of our U23 talents to step up. We’re more likely to find the next Hughes or Hendrick than we were a few weeks ago when we still had Martin, Bent and Shackell knocking about.

If you want to take a Football Manager approach, then obviously we’re weaker in terms of having cover for injuries and rotating the squad. I guess that’s the trade off. A few injuries and suspensions and all of a sudden, with the benefit of hindsight, our January would look like a big mistake.

I’m sceptical about big January “statements”, and I’m not sure promotion is ever won in the January transfer market. But I’ve definitely seen it lost in January. In 06/07, our January splash was a complete and unmitigated disaster which ruined our automatic hopes and arguably paved the way for the worst season the club has ever seen. Our January 2016 spend wasn’t the reason why we capitulated, but it did absolutely nothing to reverse it. Think about the millions spent on Camara and Blackman - a big splash out on players like that again would threaten the harmony of our squad, which is one thing we have going for us.

Losing Russell is a blow no matter what spin you put on it, but it looks like we’ve semi-replaced him anyway, and Palmer could yet prove to be an improvement.

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

Btw, I'm not against his signing. Maybe he is here to play the Johnson role on the wing. Looks like he is out for a while. 

Rowett, by his actions yesterday, seemed to want a pacy winger, that's why I think we are slightly short.

That’s where I got my info from - make sure it’s on all seasons and all clubs.

I was counting his appearances on the LW too.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

On the wing issue, when Johnny Russell the player most feel we haven't properly replaced out wide arrived in Derby, he was a striker that played a handful of games out wide for Dundee United. 

Palmer might not be that genuine wide man to come in but that's not to say he can't do a job for us there in the short term, it is only a loan to see us through till the end of the season and not a big money signing so there is that.

Worth noting at that age players do shift around until they land on their natural position, wasn't Bennett an out and out striker that now when given minutes used out wide? Might work out, might not, reports suggest we had agreed a deal for Lookman so I think it's another window which may not have gone exactly to plan but we now have to work with what we have.

1 minute ago, David said:

On the wing issue, when Johnny Russell the player most feel we haven't properly replaced out wide arrived in Derby, he was a striker that played a handful of games out wide for Dundee United. 

Palmer might not be that genuine wide man to come in but that's not to say he can't do a job for us there in the short term, it is only a loan to see us through till the end of the season and not a big money signing so there is that.

Worth noting at that age players do shift around until they land on their natural position, wasn't Bennett an out and out striker that now when given minutes used out wide? Might work out, might not, reports suggest we had agreed a deal for Lookman so I think it's another window which may not have gone exactly to plan but we now have to work with what we have.

I'm not saying he ia a bad signing, though. I didnt even bring up his scoring record. Just thay he has played on the wing twice at this level.

He might or might not be better than Johnny or Johnson out there, depending on what he is asked to do. But the question is how do I feel now. I feel we are short, and i'd say Rowett thinks that too. Judging by his late actions yesterday.

I'm actually pleased we have quality cover for Vydra.

13 minutes ago, Duracell said:

That’s where I got my info from - make sure it’s on all seasons and all clubs.

I was counting his appearances on the LW too.

I did, but I didn't include youth games, the majority of which are in the 10 role. He has, if this is right, played 15 games on the wings in total.

He has 2 appearences on the wing at this level.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

But they won’t IMO 

Aston Villa and Wolves to go up . 

Derby miss out in Playoffs. 

wow , back your statement up with a reason why they wont finish the job , some Derby fans really infuriate me , back the lads and gary and stop being so bloody negative

10 hours ago, David said:

Any thoughts now would be knee jerk based on fans favourites, who you wanted the club to sign and seen other clubs sign.

The only Derby shirt we have seen Palmer in so far is a polo shirt and Jerome has only had a couple of cameo appearances.

Russell is the one player we will "miss" if you like with 13 starts this season, Shackell was out the picture, as was Martin and Bent. Personal feelings on those players aside, they were players that were not being used, does it make you weaker when they were never really part of the team?  Weaker in options maybe but options that were not needed in over half a season.

Bennett's chances of first team football were slim at best, not sure he's played enough to really be thrown into the conversation. Hopefully he can grab this opportunity and impress.

Let's see Palmer and more of Jerome on the pitch, judge them on performances not on paper, as that's where it really matters. 

Agree with this. 

We may have lost some favourites but the squad is neater and tighter and we're on the right side of FFP, hopefully with more flexibility come the summer if we don't go up.

If we do go up, we won't have to clear so much deadwood. 

Smaller, tighter, stronger squads worked well enough for Burnley and Bournemouth, larger bloated overpaid squads not so well for QPR.

48 minutes ago, David said:

Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold is a convincing full back but his natural position is centre mid. A similar pattern for development was done with Gerrard. Will Hughes also came in the squad out wide.

About the same I reckon.

For me Jerome edges the 2018 version of Martin.

Bent, Bennett, Shackell & the youngsters hardly featured so won't be missed.

Russell's an interesting one. I'd have driven him to his next club last season. He's improved of late but the Bristol game emphasized how frustrating he can be & I doubt he could step up a level if needed. There's an argument about replacing him, but he wasn't an automatic choice. Surely we have someone in the U-23s for the bench? 

Jury out on Walker, don't know enough about him.

At least the squad's a bit trimmer, maybe we are better off financially depending on what Millwall, Reading etc are contributing to wages 

2 hours ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Good points. 

CJ is definitely a better option than CM in this current system. 

Like Nuge his a bugger to play against. He’ll stretch defences and make room for Vydra and Lawrence. 

The Anya situation is a story in the making. In from the cold and will hopefully have a great end to the season. 

Fingers crossed for Palmer. He’ll get game time so I just hope he’s got quality. His passing game looks alright and he can run at defenders too. 

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. 

Anya is a lovely guy; he deserves success. He has been the model pro in all this. So unfair that his Millwall "goal" was scratched out. Real potential "Roy of the Rovers" stuff in the making here...I'm minded of Eminem's words here..."If you had one chance, one opportunit-eee, would you take it...?" :mellow:

Archived