Stronger or Weaker

therealhantsram

Stronger or Weaker  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

wow , back your statement up with a reason why they wont finish the job , some Derby fans really infuriate me , back the lads and gary and stop being so bloody negative

4 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Curtains has an opinion Premier Ram,a negative one but an opinion.Its what this forum is all about .Why dont you wind your neck in a bit.

But he makes a good point about backing up your statement. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a serious back up for vydra was in some ways more important than the wingers. if vydras having a bad game and we struggle creatively GR tends to take him off for a 2 upfront alternative which hasn't really prevailed, believe it happened at sheffield united and bristol homes games recently. This causes the game plan to shift and the attacking wingers to pick up more defensive responsibilities.

Bringing in someone (palmer) that could replace vydra man for man when its not his day (or injured) would allow us to add a fresh option without having to change the way the teams plays at precarious moments in the games. And I know Lawrence could play there but will he be as effective if hes been running the wing for 70 minutes?

I've voted stronger because GR wouldn't have made the decisions if he thought it would have made the team weaker. By the sound of it the only decision that was out of his hands was Russell and hes been consistently inconsistent for a long time.

We wont know if we were right until May!

8 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

But he makes a good point about backing up your statement. 

Ok I’ll back it up. 

Aston Villa and Wolves have quality squads and I’d be pleasantly surprised if we finish above them  as I’m not sure our squad is as good as theirs  

The playoffs are a lottery and Fulham and Bristol and Cardiff are very strong .

45 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

wow , back your statement up with a reason why they wont finish the job , some Derby fans really infuriate me , back the lads and gary and stop being so bloody negative

Pessimism is the triumph of experience over hope. Been hopeful since the 70's not  that it did much good!

Also pessimists are rarely disappointed so I'm happy to stay that way. There has to be a word that describes a happy pessimist. Puts on tin hat and ducks.:D

I find it odd people think we are weaker after this window than before. We have lost Martin, Bent , Shackell and Russell plus a few youngsters. But gained jerome and  Kasey. As only Russell was getting any game time, we shouldnt really be weaker unless we get injuries?, Jerome seems to suit Rowetts style of play better than Martin, who in any case is still a Rams player .

1 minute ago, McWha said:

I think a serious back up for vydra was in some ways more important than the wingers. if vydras having a bad game and we struggle creatively GR tends to take him off for a 2 upfront alternative which hasn't really prevailed, believe it happened at sheffield united and bristol homes games recently. This causes the game plan to shift and the attacking wingers to pick up more defensive responsibilities.

Bringing in someone (palmer) that could replace vydra man for man when its not his day (or injured) would allow us to add a fresh option without having to change the way the teams plays at precarious moments in the games. And I know Lawrence could play there but will he be as effective if hes been running the wing for 70 minutes?

I've voted stronger because GR wouldn't have made the decisions if he thought it would have made the team weaker. By the sound of it the only decision that was out of his hands was Russell and hes been consistently inconsistent for a long time.

We wont know if we were right until May!

Totally agree with your point about Vydra. I was worrying about the amount of responsibility being placed on his shoulders scoring and creativity-wise with Martin going out (and therefore no alternative game plan when Vydra isn't performing - one which I may add has worked very well with Martin on several occasions this season - he's featured more than some people seem to think.)

But Martin is yesterday's news and I think Palmer is a good acquisition because he will challenge for Vydra's role and therefore keep him on his toes.

Other times he will be out wide and whilst he isn't an out and out winger, the way we play on the break I'm seeing a lot of through balls that any swift forward can run on to, no matter where their starting point on the pitch is. How many times do Russell and Lawrence actually stay on the wing and put in a cross? Not many. Anya is the one winger that will do this for us and I presume that one of the reasons that Rowett hasn't been using him is because our style suits the cut inside and swift pass on the ground rather than high crosses.

Lastly, I'm really pleased we haven't spent a shed load of money on someone else that the fans will be declaring a waste of space in a few months. Do the serious spending in the summer, when we know where we'll be playing next season. 

I voted the same in the poll because that's what it asks, but I think it's been a good window as we haven't got sucked in to silly spending and have trimmed the squad.

If we have 30% possession we are stronger

if we have 70% possession we are weaker

we have lots of runners that need space to use their speed. We don't have anyone that can unlock a 10 man defence with flicks and vision. We had that option before January, now we don't.

15 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Pessimism is the triumph of experience over hope. Been hopeful since the 70's not  that it did much good!

Also pessimists are rarely disappointed so I'm happy to stay that way. There has to be a word that describes a happy pessimist. Puts on tin hat and ducks.:D

A realist? 

18 minutes ago, curtains said:

Ok I’ll back it up. 

Aston Villa and Wolves have quality squads and I’d be pleasantly surprised if we finish above them  as I’m not sure our squad is as good as theirs  

The playoffs are a lottery and Fulham and Bristol and Cardiff are very strong .

We're a point above Villa who I don't think have really added to their squad either. If anything their changes are almost identical to ours.

I think we've got more about us for grinding out results than the likes of Fulham, and Cardiff.

Wolves are gone and Villa are own main threat. As they should be with the amounts they've spent.

Again like I said, the players have got us this far and I believe they've got enough to keep getting results.

3 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

We're a point above Villa who I don't think have really added to their squad either. If anything their changes are almost identical to ours.

I think we've got more about us for grinding out results than the likes of Fulham, and Cardiff.

Wolves are gone and Villa are own main threat. As they should be with the amounts they've spent.

Again like I said, the players have got us this far and I believe they've got enough to keep getting results.

Well I backed it up and that’s my opinion sorry. 

I really hope I’m made to eat my words starting with an improved home form. 

8 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If we have 30% possession we are stronger

if we have 70% possession we are weaker

we have lots of runners that need space to use their speed. We don't have anyone that can unlock a 10 man defence with flicks and vision. We had that option before January, now we don't.

I agree to an extent but we haven't had an attack that breaks down a thick defence since Wembley. Teams worked us out after that season and we've not found a real solution since

1 hour ago, Roboram said:

About the same I reckon.

For me Jerome edges the 2018 version of Martin.

Bent, Bennett, Shackell & the youngsters hardly featured so won't be missed.

Russell's an interesting one. I'd have driven him to his next club last season. He's improved of late but the Bristol game emphasized how frustrating he can be & I doubt he could step up a level if needed. There's an argument about replacing him, but he wasn't an automatic choice. Surely we have someone in the U-23s for the bench? 

Jury out on Walker, don't know enough about him.

At least the squad's a bit trimmer, maybe we are better off financially depending on what Millwall, Reading etc are contributing to wages 

very good and honest post mate.

Pretty satisfied when all things considered.   Lookman / Grosiki would have been juicy addictions, but that's life. 

I think the numbers and type of players we have now will all add to the building of the TEAM as a group. This is something I really like about GR. The last couple of games haven't seen us get the roll of the dice but I have reached the point that I believe this team has the capacity, unity, flexibility and resolve to ride the ups and downs of the run in. Still a way to go but I smell something positive in the air. ..... We are going up, one way or another. 

Weaker, Russell is gone.

No sign that Lawrence is going to start playing well anytime soon.

Really hope the new loan lad comes out all guns blazing.

Because those 2 attacking midfield positions along with Vydra are the weak link at the moment with us not scoring a goal the last 2 games.

Absolutely no blaime to be put on the doors of Huddlestone and Thorne who are more of less doing their jobs properly at the moment.

If I were boss, Id consider playing Baird at left back whilst Fozzy continues to struggle for form since his injury.

Baird is better than Wisdom in my opinion and is extremely unlucky not to be playing when you compare his consistancy to the ever so inconsitant Weimann and Lawrence.

About the same.

If he had played, on past performance I would expect Russell to score 3/4 more this season and assist about as many.

I think Anya is probably capable of that, and I would expect Palmer can score a couple too. That said, Anya hasn't played much, so it might not go as well. I think Jerome, in the way we play now, would score a couple more than Martin would.

At the end of the season, I suspect it means if we go up or not, we have a more rational wage and therefore transfer budget to work with.

58 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

About the same.

If he had played, on past performance I would expect Russell to score 3/4 more this season and assist about as many.

I think Anya is probably capable of that, and I would expect Palmer can score a couple too. That said, Anya hasn't played much, so it might not go as well. I think Jerome, in the way we play now, would score a couple more than Martin would.

At the end of the season, I suspect it means if we go up or not, we have a more rational wage and therefore transfer budget to work with.

Palmer played last season for Huddersfield who were promoted. He scored four and had 3 assists with about as much game time as Johnny has had this season ... And with very similar stats. I would expect Palmers passing and ball retention to be better than Johnny's too. Plus these are based on last season when Palmer was 19/20, so he may well be better this time around playing at the same level. 

I dont think palmer for russell will be anything other than an upgrade... Only worry being Palmers hamstrings. 

1 hour ago, Kennington Ram said:

About the same.

The problems will surface again in the summer when the likes of Bryson Martin Blackman and Butterfield come back tidy sum of wages per week there 

Archived