Derby County facing EFL investigation after Bristol City video replay controversy

admira

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how the issue being highlighted isn't the disgracefully poor refereeing which could have a big impact at the end of the year at the top of the table, but rather the fact that somebody showed on a screen the incident live? Joke. EFL need to look at themselves. 

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Didnt something happen to us similar back in Jim Smiths days, thing we were winning 2-1 with seconds to go and Arsenal score, and Dean Sturridge tried to get the ref to look at it on the big screen as went out or was offside or something, have a feeling Sturridge got sent off too.

Yep, you are right, they scored 90th minute, Kanu I believe, as we were lining up for kick off Sturridge asked the lino to have a look at the reply to see if he still thought it was offside, ref came over and booked him, which was his 2nd od the game. Think it finished 1-0 was in the FA Cup, 5th round, from memory.

We always seem to be pretty good at sticking to the rules re the big screen. Looks like someone messed up. A quiet word in the right ears strikes me as the only necessary action. 

Its got to be wrong to undermine the ref while the game is in progress. Afterwards .. Fine, but not in the heat of a match.

in match replays are for Goals scored, great saves or near misses. In my opinion of course ! :whistle:

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Due to it being a Friday night and that I live over 3 hours away and couldn't get away early. I watched the game from home, even I could see it was a penalty and I live over 150 miles away. :D

Bloody hell! Didn’t realise the screen at Pride Park was so big! Fair play. 

47 minutes ago, jono said:

We always seem to be pretty good at sticking to the rules re the big screen. Looks like someone messed up. A quiet word in the right ears strikes me as the only necessary action. 

Its got to be wrong to undermine the ref while the game is in progress. Afterwards .. Fine, but not in the heat of a match.

in match replays are for Goals scored, great saves or near misses. In my opinion of course ! :whistle:

Literally any replay has the potential to highlight a mistake. 

Goals scored? Like the Tevez one linked to earlier?

The replays come on pretty much straight after don’t they? How much time does the person in charge have to review the footage? I’d be interested to know what the procedure is. 

Wolfie hit the nail on the head. The FA hold scoreboard operators to a higher standard than their own match officials.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Sensible post Jono. Bottom line to show the penalty incident was plain wrong. No ifs or buts.  Schoolboy mistake by the operator who should frankly have known better.  A warning should be sufficient on this occasion.

22 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Literally any replay has the potential to highlight a mistake. 

Goals scored? Like the Tevez one linked to earlier?

The replays come on pretty much straight after don’t they? How much time does the person in charge have to review the footage? I’d be interested to know what the procedure is. 

Wolfie hit the nail on the head. The FA hold scoreboard operators to a higher standard than their own match officials.

That isn't right. The ref is a part of the game, the contest taking place in real time. Instant decisions are part of the refs remit. 

You can give clear unequivocal instructions to screen operators ... you cannot give those same instructions to a referee who's role is vastly more complex in the fluid battle situation of a football match. You cannot expose the ref to mass vilification by the mob while he is still trying to do his job. ref's performances are assessed and their status and the standard of games they are given reflect their performances. But you don't start that process by having the baying dogs breathing down his neck while he is trying to perform.

Agree with Jono and I-Ram. This is not a new rule and has been in place around for 7-8 seasons- the club have not felt the need to do this previously. Very poor from Derby to do this on Friday and we will have to accept any punishment but hope that the EFL deem a warning as sufficient 

1 minute ago, jono said:

But you don't start that process by having the baying dogs breathing down his neck while he is trying to perform.

Or put him potentially in a position where he feels under some pressure to make a compensating adjudication.

8 minutes ago, jono said:

That isn't right. The ref is a part of the game, the contest taking place in real time. Instant decisions are part of the refs remit. 

You can give clear unequivocal instructions to screen operators ... you cannot give those same instructions to a referee who's role is vastly more complex in the fluid battle situation of a football match. You cannot expose the ref to mass vilification by the mob while he is still trying to do his job. ref's performances are assessed and their status and the standard of games they are given reflect their performances. But you don't start that process by having the baying dogs breathing down his neck while he is trying to perform.

And instant decisions are part of the scoreboard operators remit if he wants to show a replay promptly. And replays are shown promptly. So perhaps the FA should implement some rule that a certain amount of time must pass.

Perhaps the FA should operate the scoreboard altogether instead of imposing some nebulous term like ‘controversial’ on some poor bloke.

If showing a mistake is wrong then you don’t have any replays. At all. We’ve already established that literally any footage can show a mistake.

Just now, StringerBell said:

And instant decisions are part of the scoreboard operators remit if he wants to show a replay promptly. And replays are shown promptly. So perhaps the FA should implement some rule that a certain amount of time must pass.

Perhaps the FA should operate the scoreboard altogether instead of imposing some nebulous term like ‘controversial’ on some poor bloke.

If showing a mistake is wrong then you don’t have any replays. At all. We’ve already established that literally any footage can show a mistake.

Inadvertently a replay might show a mistake but you don't show in match replays designed to highlight controversy. It isn't the X factor

It is wrong to knowingly expose officials who need support when in the firing line. Post match reviews are when mistakes get examined and dealt with. 

Can see both sides of it. It is common sense that referees shouldn’t be put under any extra pressure than they are already under. But equally, the first time it might have been seen that an error was made was via the replay which was shown, which I think is the point being made. Essentially, how can a scoreboard operator be expected to spot mistakes before the replay. Particularly in Sky games where their footage is used for the big screen rather than RamsTV’s own.

To add to that, in the Ipswich game this season where Lawrence was booked for diving, no replays were shown of the incident. To me this comes more down to using Sky footage than anything else, which I think is an EFL ruling ironically.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Inadvertently a replay might show a mistake but you don't show in match replays designed to highlight controversy. It isn't the X factor

It is wrong to knowingly expose officials who need support when in the firing line. Post match reviews are when mistakes get examined and dealt with. 

So certain things can be shown and others can’t. The FA need to make clear what can and cant be show. They haven’t.

The FA says it’s controversial without defining controversial. The scoreboard operator simply says I don’t think it was controversial. Now what?

Archived