Derby County facing EFL investigation after Bristol City video replay controversy

admira

Bristol City's opponents on Friday Derby County could find themselves in trouble for breaking EFL rules after the goalless draw at Pride Park.

After Cameron Jerome had a penalty appeal rejected, Rams TV [in charge of what’s shown on the stadium screens] replayed the decision on the giant video screen.

It showed that Aden Flint did appear to foul Jerome further incensing the home crowd who were already on the back of referee Darren England.

This has now been sent to the EFL for consideration by Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-facing-efl-investigation-1102892

Knowing our luck, we'll get a points deduction and miss out of promotion because of it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a look online and West Ham did the same in April 2014 and I can't see any articles suggesting they were punished in anyway.

Excellent. Rather than trying to address the fact that referees do not have all the tools they need to do their job properly, we just don't show replays of any decision that might be controversial.

Sounds like a plan. 

What if there is a disallowed goal for offside? Do we not show it incase the linesman got it wrong?

Replay or no replay, everyone in the stadium could see that was a penalty. If you don't want the fans to get restless, do your due diligence. Give the referees access to video replays and mic them up - that way they can defer any decision they aren't sure of to someone with access to replays and very briefly explain their decision to the crowd.

Jerome goes down. The ref blows his whistle. The video ref reviews. Confirms it was a penalty to the best of his ability. The ref gets on his mic and says "Penalty, Derby. Foul in the box by number 4, Bristol."

Everyone goes home safe in the knowledge that everything was done to ensure we got as close to the correct outcome as possible. There will still be controversy in some decisions, but nowhere near as much as there is now. There is at least one game a week decided by a poor refereeing performance. It's a really hard job, let's make it a bit easier for them. 

I get the reasons, it incites the crowd and yes if any replay shows an incorrect or possibly incorrect decision made it can't be shown.

Mistakes happen though i don't believe there was time for anyone to say let's leave that up there to try and influence any decision etc.

A ' don't do it again' should suffice, that said the league etc do like to stamp their authority aslong as it doesn't affect their favoured teams.

4 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Well what happens if they show an allowed goal that was offside? That must have happened loads of times.

Shall we just not bother having replays at all in case it makes some people angry if it emerges there’s a mistake involved?

I don't think you are allowed to do that either.

Surely in the heat of the battle, mistakes, such as the one stringerbell suggested must happen quite a lot. Without the operator watching the incident over a few times before deciding to play it, thus making the highlight appear after play has restarted. It’s bound to happen 

52 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Well what happens if they show an allowed goal that was offside? That must have happened loads of times.

Shall we just not bother having replays at all in case it makes some people angry if it emerges there’s a mistake involved?

I'm pretty sure this happened in a game against Mexico and Argentina at the World Cup in 2010.  Let me see if I can pull a link to it. Mexico were obviously livid by it but still had to finish the game.

In regards to the being punished by it. It just shows that referees need further support in making decisions sometimes. The fact we're essentially being punished for proving an incorrect decision is scandalous. I get it can incite the crowd but at the same time it's showing what is needing to be sorted in football. 

26 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Surely in the heat of the battle, mistakes, such as the one stringerbell suggested must happen quite a lot. Without the operator watching the incident over a few times before deciding to play it, thus making the highlight appear after play has restarted. It’s bound to happen 

Presumably the operator/editor needs to be an expert on the rules of the game in order to decide if the ref's decision has been wrong for whatever reason and therefore contentious. They're expecting them to be more skillful than the ref!.

Either allow replays or don't. Asking someone unskilled to decide what should be shown is always going to lead to mistakes - which is all this was.

33 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Exactly somebody made a mistake, that's all. 

If they can forget the referees mistake and punish this one, where is the justice?

18 minutes ago, Ewethanised said:

I'm pretty sure this happened in a game against Mexico and Argentina at the World Cup in 2010.  Let me see if I can pull a link to it. Mexico were obviously livid by it but still had to finish the game.

In regards to the being punished by it. It just shows that referees need further support in making decisions sometimes. The fact we're essentially being punished for proving an incorrect decision is scandalous. I get it can incite the crowd but at the same time it's showing what is needing to be sorted in football. 

Didnt something happen to us similar back in Jim Smiths days, thing we were winning 2-1 with seconds to go and Arsenal score, and Dean Sturridge tried to get the ref to look at it on the big screen as went out or was offside or something, have a feeling Sturridge got sent off too.

Back in 2016 EUFA issued "clarification" during EURO 2016 about showing controversial stuff during the game. There had been several domestic occurrences as well so there is a PremierLeague  directive that "Screens shall NOT show negative or controversial incident".

I have not found any evidence of punishments handed out for misdemeanours.

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

Exactly, so who decides what is a controversial decision and what isn't?  Loads of goals have been scored without controversy but shown later to have been illigit.  The EFL ought to be concentrating on making the job easier for the officials not pontificating about what is shown on the big screen

2 hours ago, admira said:

Bristol City's opponents on Friday Derby County could find themselves in trouble for breaking EFL rules after the goalless draw at Pride Park.

After Cameron Jerome had a penalty appeal rejected, Rams TV [in charge of what’s shown on the stadium screens] replayed the decision on the giant video screen.

It showed that Aden Flint did appear to foul Jerome further incensing the home crowd who were already on the back of referee Darren England.

This has now been sent to the EFL for consideration by Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL).

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-facing-efl-investigation-1102892

Knowing our luck, we'll get a points deduction and miss out of promotion because of it.

I really don't see the all the fuss about this. The penalty was still not given and the score was not affected in anyway. Mistakes are always made so everyone just needs to move on. 

16 minutes ago, cannable said:

If I remember correctly they showed it in Liverpool’s favour :lol:

Yeah but still the same breach of rules, and they also showed something to do with which way gerrard took his penalties before he took his penalty.

Archived