Sky Commentary

Poynton ram

Not seen mention of Keith Andrews who was full of praise for Rowett and our performances and said we're nailed on for autos with maybe villa pushing us. Not got a problem with Mac either because at times our football does look pretty dire

Edit - the commentary during the penalty incidents was a joke though 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JupiterRam said:

Not seen mention of Keith Andrews who was full of praise for Rowett and our performances and said we're nailed on for autos with maybe villa pushing us. Not got a problem with Mac either because at times our football does look pretty dire

Doesn't fit agenda. He said something positive.

I watched the game again this morning on sky, just in case we scored today. Sky is in the entertainment business, simple as that. They will praise and rightly so, any team who’s games turn up plenty of goals, in either end. Sky loved us in the 1st Mac era because of that and now Bristol likewise. Let’s be honest, very few people will pay to watch a championship game they have no affinity for if it’s 0/0. They can sell a 4-2 far easier. I feel we are being damned by our early season performances. It may surprise lots of people, me included. But we are good to watch now 

Hinchcliffe is usually pretty good but talked ******** last night when he thought a draw was a fair result! I think there’s an element of they’ve picked Bristol as the exciting footballing underdog, if you remember we had the same on the run to the play-off final. But since then we’ve spent a fortune and blown several chances so have received negative press...and rightly so.

Don Goodman states the obvious most of the time, when Derby are bad he slated them, when they’re good he probably goes over the top in his praise.

I like Keith Andrews, think he talks a lot of sense. McClaren I think was trying to justify his position in football...sad as he doesn’t need to, he’s had a decent career.

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Hinchcliffe is usually pretty good but talked ******** last night when he thought a draw was a fair result! I think there’s an element of they’ve picked Bristol as the exciting footballing underdog, if you remember we had the same on the run to the play-off final. But since then we’ve spent a fortune and blown several chances so have received negative press...and rightly so.

Don Goodman states the obvious most of the time, when Derby are bad he slated them, when they’re good he probably goes over the top in his praise.

I like Keith Andrews, think he talks a lot of sense. McClaren I think was trying to justify his position in football...sad as he doesn’t need to, he’s had a decent career.

Can't say it was completely unfair either, can you?

Agree about Keith Andrews, comes across well and to be fair whilst I know he has an affinity to the club Danny Higginbotham is the same. 

Caught 10 mins of the Weds v Cardiff game and the commentator whose name escapes me mentioned that the injured Keiron Westwood is "arguably the best keeper in the division" - decent keeper yes but Carson is better - how many clean sheets have the owls had?

4 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Agree about Keith Andrews, comes across well and to be fair whilst I know he has an affinity to the club Danny Higginbotham is the same. 

Caught 10 mins of the Weds v Cardiff game and the commentator whose name escapes me mentioned that the injured Keiron Westwood is "arguably the best keeper in the division" - decent keeper yes but Carson is better - how many clean sheets have the owls had?

Said commentator says that in every game Wednesday have on Sky. If he’d just replaced “arguably” with “one of” he would be right.

6 hours ago, JupiterRam said:

Edit - the commentary during the penalty incidents was a joke though 

Which times, buddy ?

Would love to know . Maybe if we got into first place our diresomeness might be tolerableful for you ? 

7 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Which times, buddy ?

Would love to know . Maybe if we got into first place our diresomeness might be tolerableful for you ? 

60-75% of the time tbh. 

Not that anyone’s bothered, its really effective. It works with this squad and management set up and it’s something most have accepted. 

Most of our season has been similar to last nights performance, a bit in and out, very wasteful in possession but normally we’re clinical in front of goal and put teams to the sword with decisive, quick attacks. 

I’m enjoying this season, will be absolutely made up with second place or even a top 6 berth. But let’s be reyt about the football, it’s taken a firm back seat. 

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Which times, buddy ?

Emphasis on the word "look". Our style of play is extremely effective and I'm loving every minute of it.

We play excellent football at both ends of the pitch, but I wouldn't describe the way we get from one end to the other as nice football (at times), especially from McClaren's perspective. And especially yesterday.

But it doesn't need to be, which is why Mac got the sack and Gaz is in charge  :thumbsup:

I generally don’t listen to the TV commentary and stick to the RD commentary, mostly for the familiarity. Occasionally, however, when lazy or finding it difficult to sync words and pictures, I’ll listen to the Sky commentary. My issues with the Sky commentary generally are (in order):

1. Dull, they sometimes have an air of ‘thank god I get paid for this’ and often sound over-rehearsed;

2.  They’re not the Radio Derby pairing. For all of their flaws, I like Ramage & Co and they’re my connection to Derby;

3. Occasionally there are commentators who seem to take an irrational dislike against one term or the other. Funnily enough, I tend to find it more irritating when they seem too pro-Derby as i’m more than capable of providing my own Derby-biased comments (or of switching back to Rammers who’s unashamedly barracking for Derby). Part of that is that the bias is usually based on “barracking for a good game by favouring the underdogs” rather than liking or disliking one of the teams which is pointless most of the time.

What I saw while listening for a while last night was that. After Bristol City started the better, we settled and were the better side. It seemed to me the Sky commentators were wary of Derby scoring first.

On 20/01/2018 at 13:09, RadioactiveWaste said:

I always hate sky commentary. One of the thins that annoys me most is they always seem to have spent all week deciding on what the narrative is and then try to make the game fit into that e.g. Mac "bristol were the only side playing football" which is pure balls, we were playing decent football too, sometimes i thought we overplayed by usual rowettball standards...

yes well it was Mclaren,worth listening to for the novelty value

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:01, Poynton ram said:

Is it just me but do some of the Sky commentators/summarisers have a real downer on Derby? Watched the game last night and thought Andy Hinchcliffe was constantly critical of us whilst showering regular praise on Brizzle.

That ex Wolves plonker Goodman is the same.

I have no issue with constructive criticism but let's have some balance.

No, not at all. Seem keen to chat to Rowett and Morris.

15 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Did you see fa cup helights nrothing about our good play or the goal that should have stood.

Fa cup isn't on sky.

Archived