Sky Commentary

Poynton ram

Is it just me but do some of the Sky commentators/summarisers have a real downer on Derby? Watched the game last night and thought Andy Hinchcliffe was constantly critical of us whilst showering regular praise on Brizzle.

That ex Wolves plonker Goodman is the same.

I have no issue with constructive criticism but let's have some balance.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have always felt the same actually.

I've tuned into many matches on Sky and have often been left wishing that they'd all be trapped inside one of Goodman's 'cul de sacs' 

Is it me, or does he always seem to repeat ' cul de sac' a lot in his commentaries? 

I guess we've probably been there to be shot at more than most clubs, given our enviable resources, questionable lack of character in previous seasons, and our high turnover of managers over recent years. 

But yeah...I definitely agree. The ideal scenario is Sky commentary off, Radio Derby on and listen to Rammage on about 'rattin' and 'shankin' : ) 

I have often thought the same however, do we actually do ourselves any favours?

We often don't perform when playing on sky and they can only go on what they have seen.

Don Goodman has just been part of the panel that voted Rowett and Davies Manager and Player of the month.

I've often heard Hinchcliffe praising Derby and saying that this is our year, only to end up with egg on his face because we decided to turn a bit pants.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Every single forum in the country says the same thing.

When you're not used to hearing a neutral broadcaster commentate on your side, neutrality sounds like negativity.

Exactly right. And to make the point, if you were to go on the Bristol City forum they have been saying the same thing. Sometimes fans (and managers) go even further - it wasn't just Billy Davies but also the gump fans who thought there was a media vendetta against them.

53 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Is it just me but do some of the Sky commentators/summarisers have a real downer on Derby? Watched the game last night and thought Andy Hinchcliffe was constantly critical of us whilst showering regular praise on Brizzle.

That ex Wolves plonker Goodman is the same.

I have no issue with constructive criticism but let's have some balance.

Good job the players on the pitch don't hear the commentary then. It can't affect the outcome of the game.  

I always hate sky commentary. One of the thins that annoys me most is they always seem to have spent all week deciding on what the narrative is and then try to make the game fit into that e.g. Mac "bristol were the only side playing football" which is pure balls, we were playing decent football too, sometimes i thought we overplayed by usual rowettball standards...

51 minutes ago, Duracell said:

When you're not used to hearing a neutral broadcaster commentate on your side, neutrality sounds like negativity.

At Sky they have a narrative to keep as well. If they’ve decided that one team is the plucky underdog and the other is the big bad wolf before the match, and that fits the narrative of the season, then that’s what the commentary will reflect. It’s all a big pantomime really. 

The recent cup games seem to have given the Sky guys a real Bristol boner. We made the better chances yet they deserved it etc. Then interviewed two Bristol players at the end of the match. They missed a chance it was a great effort and idea, we missed a chance it was poor should have kept it down etc.

Really ******* annoying.

1 hour ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

Have always felt the same actually.

I've tuned into many matches on Sky and have often been left wishing that they'd all be trapped inside one of Goodman's 'cul de sacs' 

Is it me, or does he always seem to repeat ' cul de sac' a lot in his commentaries? 

I guess we've probably been there to be shot at more than most clubs, given our enviable resources, questionable lack of character in previous seasons, and our high turnover of managers over recent years. 

But yeah...I definitely agree. The ideal scenario is Sky commentary off, Radio Derby on and listen to Rammage on about 'rattin' and 'shankin' : ) 

I'd class that as a double whammy. Ramage and in particular Dawes, are embarassing.

I reckon Hinchcliffe's one of the better summarisers. Goodman is myopic.

Sky were bigging Bristol up. An unbiased commentary would have made the point that Bristol created very little and that we were largely in control, but not clinical in our finishing.

Having said that they did call the penalty incident correctly.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Really fed up with this Bristol city bandwagon. McClaren said Bristol city were the only team who played football last night.

He’s just bitter we’re doing well without 85mins of sideways and backwards passing. Him and his island head can **** off. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

I completely agree with you, but last night was a bit different. As other posters have said, they really had a pre-defined narrative and didn't really deviate from that.

After a slow start in each half, we got better and better and looked like the only team who might score towards the end. They defended ok, but wasn't really sure where their supposed brilliant football came from.

Mac spoke well before the game but was spouting some right drivel after the game, as if they were Barca and we had Jose parking the bus.

Archived