Strongest Midfield Pairing

AmericanRam

Midfield pairing  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

difficult to call.

ledley and thorne, until you remember how often huddlestone heads the ball away at corners.

and we love giving away corners! :lol:

happy with any one of them combinations really, more depends on who's infront of them. George needs to concentrate on playing regularly anyway... no point trying to force his way in untill he's had a a good quater of a seasons worht of 80 to 90 mins.  Pickleeeeeeeee Riiiiiiick!

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

All three are good and it depends on who we play against and if we play against a five in midfield like against Sheffield United why not have all three starting 

Yes agree why not play all three  But which wide player do we drop 

14 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Thought Thorne and Huddlestone  worked pretty solidly together yesterday, but still think strongest pairing overall is Thorne and Ledley.

Thoughts?

One of the key questions for these final 20 games. My take is it should be Thorne and one of the other two depending on the match and, in rare cases, why not all three (or occasionally rest George if he's struggling with a lot of games in a short time)? In the poll I've gone Thorne and Ledley as I don't think Big Tom is as consistent or does as much as the other two, but he has obvious quality.  Ledley gives a very solid platform for either of the other two to play, but Thorne does more with that platform and a better job of linking defence and attack and joining with the attack. Though Tom was so unlucky not to score with that shot last night that was screaming into the top corner and would have taken the goal off it's mountings had Luke Shaw somehow not got in the way.

But Thorne is surely the best midfielder in the league. And the more he plays the  better he'll get.

Dont think you can go wrong with any of those pairings but I think there’s a clear attacking advantage with the Huddlestone and Thorne combination.

With the mobile players we have up top, having two midfielders who can pick them out from distance and are both dangerous on the ball helps us out a lot. Teams in the championship won’t be able to throw men forward like Sheff Utd did if they’re worried about getting hit on the counter.

Dont think we lose much if any defensive solidity with Thorne instead of Ledley either.

The two best footballers we have At the moment, and arguably two of our best this century are Thorne and Hudds. I rate ledley I really do, but if there’s a way to get those two out together then we have to take it, they both have the ability to take a team at this level apart with a single touch. Not seen enough to know if it works for sure, Huddlestone and ledley has balance, but if Thorne can do ledleys defensive work as well as play the ball, I think we’re on to an even better pairing.

There is a huge attraction in having Thorne and Hudds but much like Eustace, Ledley is the sort of unsung comi chef he does a lot of dirty work very well. I don't mind which of the 3 and it reminds me that Johnson has been most effective recently when out wide in physical games but lacks some finesse in the middle.

One of the toughest polls to complete. Gone with Huddle/Ledley at the moment, but once GT has

a few more 90s under his belt it's a case of thorne/? I think we just have to change it depending on

who we are playing or who is fit like the forward line. ie more defensive or more attacking!

Don't think it's as straightforward as one pairing or the other - depends on how the opposition play and whether we are home or away. For me, Ledley plays every time because out of the 3, he gives us the solidity in midfield we need.

I do wonder, with more game time under his belt, whether Thorne can do a job in front of Huddlestone and Ledley, playing a lot closer to the front players than we've seen in the past. He has an eye for goal, has the vision and passing ability we need - my only doubt is does he have the pace required?

Really tough decision this actually, I think Ledley is required for mobility personally, but I think Thorne and Huddlestone are both interchangeable, Huddlestone better in the air, but I find in close control and short passing I find Thorne is better. All good options to have though.

Can someone who has said it depends on the opposition actually tell me why it does? Given we play the same tactics under Rowett now for most games, what's the difference in these players that makes one of them more attractive than another one for a particular game?

21 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

One of the toughest polls to complete. Gone with Huddle/Ledley at the moment, but once GT has

a few more 90s under his belt it's a case of thorne/? I think we just have to change it depending on

who we are playing or who is fit like the forward line. ie more defensive or more attacking!

Not sure having a few more 90’s under your belt, improves you as a player. Wayne Rooney certainly isn’t the player he was before he got involved with this age range 

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Thorne and Hudds just don’t let Hudds ever ever shoot.:D

Would've put one in the top corner last night but for some manc head.

Archived