Strongest Midfield Pairing

AmericanRam

Midfield pairing  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jono said:

On a personal note I'm not one who said it depends on the opposition but it is a valid point. If I was a manager I'd certainly be factoring in who my mids might be up against and consider choices versus their possible opposite number. It wouldn't be the B all and end all but it would be a factor. Thing is if the opponent has a particular player .. One who is exceptionally physical or exceptionally fleet of foot, then that might colour your decision on which set of players you pick. There is always an overarching tactical game plan but the one V one scenario is  part of of it.  ... If they have a lumbering but strong left back then I'd want my skinny fleet footed winger to give him grief rather than a more all round wide player .. Doesn't alter my principal strategy but adds something, an edge ...

@Wolfie20 has given me an answer. I was actually referring to our midfield three specifically. I don't see a lot between them (Huddleston e and Thorne better at forward passing) but in the Championship if I exclude Wolves, I'd expect us to go into all games expecting to win/go for the win and thus I couldn't see why a particular two would be more suited. I'd be playing the ones most in-form and/or fittest.

I would avoid playing Bradley Johnson there!

I actually think that right now Ledley is one of the most crucial (if not the most) players in the squad. Just look at our form when he's been in the side and in particular how few goals we've conceded. His work often goes unnoticed because he isn't one for thunderous challenges but if you actually focus on him in a game when we don't have the ball it'll become abundantly clear what he does. He's an absolute master of defensive postioning and is constantly closing out dangerous positions, choking off passing lanes and ensuring there is no 'in' for the opponent. 

Whilst both Thorne and Huddlestone are good defensively I don't think they compare in that regard. So for me it becomes a case of which one plays with Ledley and in that case it's Thorne. He's more mobile, less prone to sloppy possession errors, has the ability to drive forward, carries a big goal threat and his short passing game is stronger. For me Thorne is a better playmaker than Huddlestone and he looks to impact the game more directly where as Huddlestone can sometimes be a bit more passive. 

This isn't meant to disparage Huddlestone who has started playing really well since Barnsley, looking like the player we thought we were buying. And with all the above I really wouldn't be opposed to any combination of three as it is pretty close between them. 

Just don't play Johnson. 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I actually think that right now Ledley is one of the most crucial (if not the most) players in the squad. Just look at our form when he's been in the side and in particular how few goals we've conceded. His work often goes unnoticed because he isn't one for thunderous challenges but if you actually focus on him in a game when we don't have the ball it'll become abundantly clear what he does. He's an absolute master of defensive postioning and is constantly closing out dangerous positions, choking off passing lanes and ensuring there is no 'in' for the opponent. 

Whilst both Thorne and Huddlestone are good defensively I don't think they compare in that regard. So for me it becomes a case of which one plays with Ledley and in that case it's Thorne. He's more mobile, less prone to sloppy possession errors, has the ability to drive forward, carries a big goal threat and his short passing game is stronger. For me Thorne is a better playmaker than Huddlestone and he looks to impact the game more directly where as Huddlestone can sometimes be a bit more passive. 

This isn't meant to disparage Huddlestone who has started playing really well since Barnsley, looking like the player we thought we were buying. And with all the above I really wouldn't be opposed to any combination of three as it is pretty close between them. 

Just don't play Johnson as one of the midfield two, play him further up. 

FTFY

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

FTFY

Well whilst I was more referring to him playing as a CDM, I honestly wouldn't want Johnson playing a regular role in the 3 behind the striker either. We have better players for those positions and I'd only play him in games where think we can have real success by him bullying the full back. 

25 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Well whilst I was more referring to him playing as a CDM, I honestly wouldn't want Johnson playing a regular role in the 3 behind the striker either. We have better players for those positions and I'd only play him in games where think we can have real success by him bullying the full back. 

Fair enough, not against a horses for courses approach at all. I do think Wiemann and Russell are a bit too similar, when Lawrence is out or playing through the middle I would prefer one or the other, not both.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Fair enough, not against a horses for courses approach at all. I do think Wiemann and Russell are a bit too similar, when Lawrence is out or playing through the middle I would prefer one or the other, not both.

The situation you hit is why if I were to sign a player this window my focus would be on a wide player, someone who is an improvement on both Russell and Wiemann. 

Currently though I'd rather see them both play than Johnson against most opposition.

Something I'm interested to see related to this discussion is whether Bennett will come back into the reckoning now he's match fit. He was beginning to look really sharp before he got injured and would give us a different option.

56 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Yet he's our 4th highest scorer, above Russell, Lawrence and weimann who have played in those forward positions for more games.

15 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Yet he's our 4th highest scorer, above Russell, Lawrence and weimann who have played in those forward positions for more games.

Oh I won't argue that he does grab goals. He is a real threat in the air (particularly from set pieces) and has a good shot on him. However in my opinion we are a better team with others playing ahead of him.

Also you can temper that goal record with the fact he has played more minutes than the three players you listed.

Archived