Strongest Midfield Pairing

AmericanRam

Midfield pairing  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Can someone who has said it depends on the opposition actually tell me why it does? Given we play the same tactics under Rowett now for most games, what's the difference in these players that makes one of them more attractive than another one for a particular game?

On a personal note I'm not one who said it depends on the opposition but it is a valid point. If I was a manager I'd certainly be factoring in who my mids might be up against and consider choices versus their possible opposite number. It wouldn't be the B all and end all but it would be a factor. Thing is if the opponent has a particular player .. One who is exceptionally physical or exceptionally fleet of foot, then that might colour your decision on which set of players you pick. There is always an overarching tactical game plan but the one V one scenario is  part of of it.  ... If they have a lumbering but strong left back then I'd want my skinny fleet footed winger to give him grief rather than a more all round wide player .. Doesn't alter my principal strategy but adds something, an edge ...

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Thorne and Hudds just don’t let Hudds ever ever shoot.:D

Huds would have scored against Manure if it hadnt been deflected wide.

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, jono said:

On a personal note I'm not one who said it depends on the opposition but it is a valid point. If I was a manager I'd certainly be factoring in who my mids might be up against and consider choices versus their possible opposite number. It wouldn't be the B all and end all but it would be a factor. Thing is if the opponent has a particular player .. One who is exceptionally physical or exceptionally fleet of foot, then that might colour your decision on which set of players you pick. There is always an overarching tactical game plan but the one V one scenario is  part of of it.  ... If they have a lumbering but strong left back then I'd want my skinny fleet footed winger to give him grief rather than a more all round wide player .. Doesn't alter my principal strategy but adds something, an edge ...

I think if we play Burton then Hud is unnecssary as a CDM.. agaisnt Manure it made sense to play both Hud and Thorne. Also Ledley cant play 2 games a week. We need strength in depth in midfield which we dont have just now. 

It's a great but challenging dilemma to have. As others have said, if fit and firing they would all walk into the starting line up of ninety five percent of the rest of this divisions teams. 

I went with Thorne and Huddlestone for their composure and quality on the ball. Having said that, I can't really see much detriment in having Ledley paired with either as his work rate and tenacity certainly add something to the side. 

I really hope we manage to get Thorne signed up and back to something like his old self for the run in. I still feel that he still has the potential to make a big contribution to this club if only he could finally get a bit of luck!

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

The two best footballers we have At the moment, and arguably two of our best this century are Thorne and Hudds. I rate ledley I really do, but if there’s a way to get those two out together then we have to take it, they both have the ability to take a team at this level apart with a single touch. Not seen enough to know if it works for sure, Huddlestone and ledley has balance, but if Thorne can do ledleys defensive work as well as play the ball, I think we’re on to an even better pairing.

Great post I'm in complete agreement 

I went with Thorne and Huddlestone because I think they offer the most class but it was a tough call because I have been very impressed with Ledley since he signed for us.

My only reservation with a Thorne Huddlestone pairing is that while they would look very good against other class players (as they did last night) we might need Ledley in there against teams that want to get in our faces rather than try and out-football us.

So, even though I voted as I did, I'm very glad we'very got all three.

I've gone for Ledley and Hudds as we've had lots of successful performances. Thorne is a better player than either of them though, we just haven't seen enough of him with the other 2 to judge.

I would keep rotating. Ledley in tougher away games when the oppo are going to attack us. Thorne at home vs teams who sit deep.

Or maybe Ledley and Thorne will be best combo in the end.

Good poll and a debate we are fortunate to be able to have. Such great squad depth. Likewise in defence with current backups of Wisdom, Ollsen and Pearce.

I don't honestly think that I am qualified to judge. We really are fortunate to have three such high-quality players for two key positions.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Can someone who has said it depends on the opposition actually tell me why it does? Given we play the same tactics under Rowett now for most games, what's the difference in these players that makes one of them more attractive than another one for a particular game?

My thinking about selection being dependant on the opposition. If we're playing against a defensive team who pack their defence then I would play Thorne further up, leaving Ledley to bolt the door. Thorne I feel is better than Huddlestone in finding the shorter passes down the channels and is also a greater goal threat. However, when we're up against a possession-based side, we would benefit from Huddlestones' longer range passing for the likes of Lawrence, Vydra and Nugent to hit on the break.

All theoretical I know.

Archived