Hull City A.F.C v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

22 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Point gained or missed chance?? Only time will tell. Looked lethargic today., if we want play offs then it’s a good point. But a top 2 side should have won this. Please, please don’t name an unchanged side against Ipswich. Some running on empty today. 

Top 2 side should have won at Millwall but only managed a draw. The rest of this season is going to be a rollercoaster ride so hold on tight.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Er, how did you work that one out? ‘Likely’...

I think you are missing the point anyway, as I’m not saying we would have won with a different side, but the team showed in the last 20 minutes against Millwall that they were cracks to be exploited. Today was a chance to give one or two a run out and try and make an impact on his selection, if they don’t do that then what have you lost?

You'd risk the point earned for an experiment?

Had a bit of time to think about things after driving back in silence. 

Hull were an awkward side. They looked a lot better than their league position suggests. I couldn’t name a stand out player for Derby the defence was its usual solid hard to break down. The better chances fell to Hull. I thought we looked better when Thorne came on. 

In all I don't take this ******** about a top two side would have won. Ffs we beat Millwall on Saturday and Wolves only drew. If my memory is correct I can't remember the last team to go up winning every game. What I do remember is wins away at Boro, Leeds, and Norwich now that sound like a team going places.

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You'd risk the point earned for an experiment?

What’s an experiment? What player that’s currently on the bench has played and let them down?

Its a squad game, we have a very good squad and not using it has been the downfall over making changes this season.

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

What’s an experiment? What player that’s currently on the bench has played and let them down?

Its a squad game, we have a very good squad and not using it has been the downfall over making changes this season.

GR apparently prefers to play a first eleven with squad support from the bench, this has worked very well so far.  So why experiment with something different, you must think you know better?

Played nuge for 2 full games which was unusual, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Chrisie starting next time.  Interesting to see how GR decides to respond, might learn something from his decision.

22 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Had a bit of time to think about things after driving back in silence. 

Hull were an awkward side. They looked a lot better than their league position suggests. I couldn’t name a stand out player for Derby the defence was its usual solid hard to break down. The better chances fell to Hull. I thought we looked better when Thorne came on. 

In all I don't take this ******** about a top two side would have won. Ffs we beat Millwall on Saturday and Wolves only drew. If my memory is correct I can't remember the last team to go up winning every game. What I do remember is wins away at Boro, Leeds, and Norwich now that sound like a team going places.

I just wish Mel would realise GR is hopeless and should be replaced by any one of a number of posters on here who would be able to win every game

15 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Exactly, not as if they're under 23s. All are very successful championship players. In my opinion, the likes of Martin, Russell, Thorne and Lawrence would have done better than the players that started today. Not saying he had to play every single one of them but I'd certainly have played at least a couple of them just to freshen the team up.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Good explanation but that doesn't explain why he has been reluctant to rotate in the games previously, against ipswich in the home game especially . I can understand what you're saying about Nugent and about his two goals the other day but after the game, he was really struggling physically and picked up a knock. I really don't see the risk in playing him when he would not be able to play to his best when we have other options . Why not play Winnall instead or Martin today and against Ipswich then bring Nugent on if absolutely necessary? It's not as if the way Martin plays means he exerts lots of energy and he has played two games in a week plenty of times in the past.

I like Rowett but I hope him being conservative doesn't cost us long term. Everyone is saying that we are keeping a good running going which we are but would it not be better to really go for it rather than being cautious? Hull were there for the taking today. I get the impression that Rowett would rather have two draws to 'keep momentum going" rather than to win 1 game but lose the next, which would result in 1 more point over those two games.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was saving Martin for the Ipswich game coming up considering how great he looked against them at our place. If that was the case then it makes sense to play Nuge today, considering he has the chemistry with Vydra. Also aside from the two CB's Vydra is probably the most difficult to drop and I shudder at the thought of a Winnall/Vydra combo. It seems Winnall isn't going to feature at all if Vydra or Nuge are in the side which is a shame because I like the intensity he plays with.

I do think you're being a bit harsh on Hull though. They're definitely a much better team than their league position suggests. I think we'll look back at this as a point earned definitely, after all you only need to draw your away games and win your home games then you're pretty much set.

I can understand the calls for changes, we do have an old team with legs that are not as fresh as others, but you have to remember we have a medical team armed to the teeth with stats and all kinds of analysis to track players fitness, they even have stats on how high players jump, all of which Rowett would be fully aware of.

Maybe he has, but I highly doubt we're sending tired players out with fully fit players on the bench.

Nobody can guarantee we would have done anything had we played X, Y or Z over A, B or C, nobody.

Thorne loses his head, makes a two footed tackle 15 minutes in, gets sent off, we play 75 minutes with 10 men and get beat 2-0. Although with the chances Hull missed today that might be a hard one to believe but hopefully you see my point.

Given Cardiff and Wolves results today was a disappointment we couldn't take full advantage, cliche time, a sign of a good team is picking up results when playing poorly, for that reason I'll look at it as a point gained rather than 2 lost, we have closed the gap on the automatics despite 2nd place changing hands.

Big game next, see what lessons we learnt last time against Ipswich, expect those calling for changes will be pleased at 2pm.

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Will get shot down for this, and I know we haven’t really lost anything so I don’t wanna be too negative, but bugger it. 

I think he got it wrong not making changes, no matter what anybody likes to say the cracks started to show of that 11 against Millwall (passes going astray, putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure, riding our luck defensively). It just needed freshening up a little, who on that bench has let Rowett down this season? Would fully understand the thinking if we thought x player is better than y, but there has been little to pick between them. Thorne needs game, Russell’s been scoring and Martin has played his part in goal, Winnall’s scored important goals, so why not show some loyalty to them?

People will say ‘ah but what if we had won you wouldn’t be saying this’ but well, we didn’t and a lot of players looked leggy. They looked fatigue in the last 20 at millwall too. Maybe it’s time for Rowett to start practicing what he preached about setting up an 11 for a game rather than sticking with a chosen 11?

I’ll praise Rowett when he does well. He’s proved me wrong on team selection more than once this season and I’ll put my hands up to that, but I’m going to say when I think he gets it wrong too.

Very fair and logical post. I don't think it's critical, in anything other than a constructive sense. All in all a draw in a game like this is at the very least acceptable but given our resources it was a game where we could have used some of the talented depth in the squad. I don't think he was wrong but he wasn't 100% right either. 

Not a great game today, but a sign of a good team is even when not at your best, you dig in and get a result, we put our body's on the line and in the end got a good point away from home, 5 clean sheets in a row now, and 2 points of automatic promotion, with both Cardiff and Bristol to play at home, so in the end not a bad draw. Very happy to be in this position at this point of the season.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You only have to look at his record to see he should start more often, but Rowett only knows one way to play.

What one goal in 30 odd games? Isn’t it Martin that only knows one way to play , hence the calls to build a team that suits him? 

Archived