Hull City A.F.C v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

My first away game of the season so first time I've been able to really pass comment.

I think a lot of people will have looked at Hulls league position and automatically thought away win. 

Few will have looked at the squad that they have and the fact that they now have a manager who has experience of getting out of this division. 

We didn't play well on the day. Gave the ball away too cheaply. Got overrun in midfield. Wasted the good positions we did get in. Didn't defend crosses well.

At the end of the 90 minutes though we had a point in the bag and in the process became the first team to stop them scoring at home.

I think anyone who bothers to monitor Hulls progress between now and the end of the season will look back on this as a valuable point.

Won't rare players today as think everybody was average at best. Standout player for me was their left back. Also think Dicko looks a handful but actually thought Keogh/Davies between them handled him very well.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You only have to look at his record to see he should start more often, but Rowett only knows one way to play.

One thing about Rowett as a manager he has Deffo more than one way to play, I suggest you actually start looking at games in more detail, or take a trip to spec savers, Rowetts tactics are usually spot on, but 2 loses in the last 15 say different to some fans LOL.

2 hours ago, archied said:

,, we played poorly in terms of passing and seemed to be reverting a bit to the possession ( pissing about ) based stuff rather than the get forward fast stuff .....

the only real disappointment is the know better than everybody else bleating of the usual suspects Rowett bashing because their favs aren’t first choice anymore who can’t even wait for a loss to start the banging on but jump in at a point away from home ,,, yawn yawn yawn 

A predictable whiny response from you. Why is it you can't tolerate fans with views different to yours?

As you say yourself we played poorly . Don't think Rowett can be defended against the charge that he doesn't often make subs which transform the game by changing tactics and formation  significantly, We might have expected to win based on their league position etc.

But after 4 good performances which have shown the quality of the manager and his squad,  this is hopefully only a blip.

4 minutes ago, archied said:

What one goal in 30 odd games? Isn’t it Martin that only knows one way to play , hence the calls to build a team that suits him? 

No Martin shows in his record that he plays more than one way, Rowett doesn't seem to show that.

9 minutes ago, DRBee said:

A predictable whiny response from you. Why is it you can't tolerate fans with views different to yours?

As you say yourself we played poorly . Don't think Rowett can be defended against the charge that he doesn't often make subs which transform the game by changing tactics and formation  significantly, We might have expected to win based on their league position etc.

But after 4 good performances which have shown the quality of the manager and his squad,  this is hopefully only a blip.

Whitney ??? I’m upbeat about the result and how things are going ,, and if can’t tolerate others views means having the audacity to call it ******** if I think it is then guilty as charged ,,,,or am I not allowed to voice my support of Rowett just as the martinettes voice their disapproval 

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No Martin shows in his record that he plays more than one way, Rowett doesn't seem to show that.

So you and other matin fans have not called for us to set the team up to suit martins skill set.?

played ok in patches, created some chances, defended well mostly, got lucky at other moments. Not as fluent as we have been but a rugged, determined, work hard performance and a very good point and clean sheet

A word of praise for Andi Weimann. Had a quiet patch in the second half but otherwise consistently good on the ball and off it.

I thought our defence were put under more pressure by Hull than many teams have managed, and largely stood up to the challenge well. Take the point, move on.

18 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Rowett has made some very good substitutions over this winning run that have impacted very much on games and as for today it was very clear that as the second half progressed hull were growing into the game and we were losing the midfield hence the swap for Thorne vydra ,, 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Very fair and logical post. I don't think it's critical, in anything other than a constructive sense. All in all a draw in a game like this is at the very least acceptable but given our resources it was a game where we could have used some of the talented depth in the squad. I don't think he was wrong but he wasn't 100% right either. 

Thanks for understanding my point. Yeah, he wasn't necessarily wrong and boy has Rowett proved me wrong at times this season. I'd just like to see someone like Thorne given game time rather than thrown in when someone is injured, or Russell shown some reward for having a half decent scoring/assist record this season. If one of today's problem was ball retention then it's not like we don't have the players to solve that.

in the odd position of having watched Hull two games running (Leeds and today) and they were similar in both - Dicko in the Chris Martin hold it up lone centre forward role, looking to bring midfielders into attacking positions, while the whole side being quick to close down the opposition. Adkins’ ability to organise is clear, as is his inability to find a finisher or to deal with low levels of confidence in what is an expensive side. 

We did well to get away with a point today, and could easily have won or lost at the death. Thought the Thorne substitution was the right call in a period when they were getting closer to a goal and he added solidity. Not impressed with Lawrence today but he did get a big bang just after coming on, which may have been a factor. 

Despite our lack of clear chances, was impressed with Vydra’s ability to steal possession in midfield and Nuge’s running is remarkable after years of watching Chrissie. Davis and Keogh did enough, Fozzy, big Tom and Austrian Andy not at their best. Ledley did a great professional foul when Hull threatened a break, which sums up exactly why we need him. Bairdinho survived a busy afternoon - Hull seemed to have targetted his wing. 

Lets hope for changes against Ipswich - still think the paceful energy of Thomas and even Lowe (ahead of Ollson) should be in the match day squad - suspect someone will be in for Johnson and Nugent at the weekend (Johnny and Chrissie unless Lawrence’s ex player status gives him the nod) 

Table looks better again. Only 4 points in 4 games for Cardiff now, drags them back into the play off mix. 

Finally all credit to the rest of the travelling fans - Hull’s library summed up by the closed upper stand - despite the work of the new manager, it doesn’t feel like a happy place for players or fans to be. Others say they can see Hull in a much better place by the end of the season, I’m not so sure despite the big wage bills. 

Only my second game of the season I’ve been too, live local to Hull so got tickets as a treat for my missus and the two boys, all I can say is I’m obviously disappointed with the result and the way we played, more for the family than me, would have been nice for it to have gone great with the cold and everything, but it was just one of them days, we do get them and unfortunately today was it, but at least we scraped a draw, a point against a team that were up for it, and did want the win, i’ll take

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

Had a bit of time to think about things after driving back in silence. 

Hull were an awkward side. They looked a lot better than their league position suggests. I couldn’t name a stand out player for Derby the defence was its usual solid hard to break down. The better chances fell to Hull. I thought we looked better when Thorne came on. 

In all I don't take this ******** about a top two side would have won. Ffs we beat Millwall on Saturday and Wolves only drew. If my memory is correct I can't remember the last team to go up winning every game. What I do remember is wins away at Boro, Leeds, and Norwich now that sound like a team going places.

Beating Millwall at home is a whole different kettle of fish to playing them away. Make no mistake, that was a good point for Wolves. And to be frank at this stage, with them being so far ahead, a point to keep things ticking over is all they needed.

They won’t be caught. We’ re in a flight for second with about 6 other sides. The head-to heads will be vital.

Thought it was a really poor game to watch. No flow...no rhythm...so many stray passes from both teams I lost count.

The forwards weren't supported in numbers. So when we broke we had 1 or 2 players against 5 defenders. The two full backs rarely got over half way and they were definitely not overlapping, nor any marauding Keogh runs with the ball out of defence. I really saw no difference when Thorne came on....wishful thinking on some posters part for me there.

Thought we looked ok first half but by being quite conservative we allowed Hull to grow into it and they shaded 2nd half.

Point was fair....and it could be a good point. We move on and with other results it's a good day. Need some fresh legs against Ipswich. Any/all of Lawrence, Russell, Winnall and Thorne could start for me.

8 hours ago, caymanram said:

Beating Millwall at home is a whole different kettle of fish to playing them away. Make no mistake, that was a good point for Wolves. And to be frank at this stage, with them being so far ahead, a point to keep things ticking over is all they needed.

They won’t be caught. We’ re in a flight for second with about 6 other sides. The head-to heads will be vital.

I agree with that in fact I even had Millwall down to beat wolves yesterday after watching them play ( commitment/ attitude etc) they didn’t win but as wolves said it was one of their hardest games 

Archived