Hull City A.F.C v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Whilst what you have said makes a whole lot of sense and is entirely logical...I would be very,very surprised if he makes any changes for the next game.

Mr cautious won't change unless he is forced to....he might say he will,but by the time the game comes around,he won't.

Kash, you were one who was agreeing with me before the game. I think he simply has to make changes for Saturday. If he didn't, could you see a situation where Russell, Thorne and Martin wanting to leave in January? I hope not because they all have important parts to play but all have been consistently part of a top 6 team and all will want to play in a starting 11 consistently.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

All that is dependent on whether he actually makes changes for Saturday's game( which I hope he does). I'd bring in Russell, Wisdom, Thorne, Martin and Lawrence for the game on Saturday. Ideally, I would have rested Forsyth today, playing Olsson instead, but then played him on Saturday to deal with Ipswich's physicality. It would be interesting to see whether Forsyth actually plays on Saturday because he particularly is one who has tended to struggle when playing a lot of games in a week.

Yeah, I could just be theorizing the situation, yet it turns out Rowett doesn't make any changes for the Ipswich game. If he doesn't, then I'm totally with you and can't understand why he didn't make changes for the Hull game.

I can only assume he didn't because of the reason I put forward in the previous post, looking at it as three games in six days and managing the squad rather than the cliched 'one game at a time'.

Having said all that, we could have made changed today and lost. Then there would have been a huge cry as to why we didn't keep a winning team. Regardless of what many have described as a poor performance, i don't think a draw at Hull is a bad result. Not many teams will beat Hull away (under Adkins) between now and the end of the season.

We've played Sat-Sat-Tue unchanged. 

We won't be having the UN round to investigate us for modern day slavery. Ask the same team to play again at Ipswich and I think we'd be pushing it a bit, but lets not moan about the workload too much at the current moment. Non-issue.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah, I could just be theorizing the situation, yet it turns out Rowett doesn't make any changes for the Ipswich game. If he doesn't, then I'm totally with you and can't understand why he didn't make changes for the Hull game.

I can only assume he didn't because of the reason I put forward in the previous post, looking at it as three games in six days and managing the squad rather than the cliched 'one game at a time'.

Having said all that, we could have made changed today and lost. Then there would have been a huge cry as to why we didn't keep a winning team. Regardless of what many have described as a poor performance, i don't think a draw at Hull is a bad result. Not many teams will beat Hull away (under Adkins) between now and the end of the season.

Agree with this post entirely.

We rested players against Barnsley in the cup, lost, and it didn’t help us in the league games that followed. A couple of years ago a few days after Christmas we were on good form and rested players away to Leeds. We didn’t lose but we didn’t play well, and our form nosedived immediately after.

There’s going to be arguments for and against when it comes to rotation. The only winner in the debate is going to be hindsight.

It’s up to GR to decide the team he feels is best equipped. It’s not about changing things for the sake of it. If a player is in a good condition and good form, why drop them? Just because they played, and played well, four days ago? 

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Kash, you were one who was agreeing with me before the game. I think he simply has to make changes for Saturday. If he didn't, could you see a situation where Russell, Thorne and Martin wanting to leave in January? I hope not because they all have important parts to play but all have been consistently part of a top 6 team and all will want to play in a starting 11 consistently.

I have had exactly the same thoughts on this.......Gary keeps going on about it being a squad team and how the whole 18 are vital and that they will be rewarded for their efforts on the pitch but then doesn't use them in the circumstances that he himself has indicated he would.....it must be extremely disheartening.

Come January,I too could see Martin,Russell and thorne looking to leave.....and that could threaten our chances of promotion if one of Gary's first choices picks up a long term injury....

2 minutes ago, needles said:

We've played Sat-Sat-Tue unchanged. 

We won't be having the UN round to investigate us for modern day slavery. Ask the same team to play again at Ipswich and I think we'd be pushing it a bit, but lets not moan about the workload too much at the current moment. Non-issue.

Rowett will start with Lawrence against Ipswich. The defence will stay the same. can see Winnal coming on against the tractor boys, need someone to plough them on their own pitch

I don’t care if we’re 4th all season as long as we move into second on the 46th game.

We’ve moved down a place but points wise we’re closer than we were at the start of the game. The six point gap to Cardiff that would be hard to claw back is now 2 points. I’m struggling to see how this is a negative thing.

Weird one that today... But given I started the season ( as ever these last few years) in hope rather than expectation then I'm delighted how well it's gone so far. Of course the wheels could come trundling off the track if we have injuries to key players like Carson, Ledley, Vydra but so far I've been amazed and have enjoyed match days again, with the build up , fantastic goals and overall mainly wins. 

Of course I'm disappointed not to win today. I'm a football fan and my team is on a winning streak. So, yes, slightly disappointed but tempered with balance and still looking forward to the next game. 

Where I think weird today...I mean that I thought this was the most likely win out of today, Ipswich and Sheff United in upcoming fixtures so was surprised we didn't not only go for the jugular but in the end looked quite passive and meek and playing out for a draw. I think I would have played Russell and Winnall today, more direct running at a poor defence. But no huge moans at the manager. Let's put it to bed, learn from it, train and rest well and go give that hoofer " Irish" Mick something to think about. 

Derby county got something in common with Wolves this season..... same amount of players used 24, joint least 3rd in the division (16 man squad) Cardiff used one less and Bristol City 1 more..... 

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

And I sunk 3 pints in 15 minutes when we finally reached a pub. New record.

Were there long queues at the bar or were you fatigued?  McLovin no doubt knew you would struggle with your drinking today.  He would have rested you, or encouraged you to have mixed it up a bit. Maybe a Campari and Soda you wuss.

went back to 70s today   - kept hearing on Radio Derby today - that Hector was on the ball - I stood up a couple of times and bowed...then realised sigh......that i'd been drinking and he was playing for the other side

Good battling point today - hey can't win every week!!!  - key is don't lose!!!

Bristol, Cardiff and Wolves will stutter

Real strange one in terms of I feel a bit disappointed but I know that I’m being an arse to feel disappointed ,,, expectations expectations expectations,,, are we now at the point where we expect to WIN every game and play great scoring a hat full of goals ,, we played poorly in terms of passing and seemed to be reverting a bit to the possession ( pissing about ) based stuff rather than the get forward fast stuff , we rode our luck a bit and coupled with digging in we got a point away at Hull and closed the gap to autos to two points ,

yep heads back on straight now and the only real disappointment is the know better than everybody else bleating of the usual suspects Rowett bashing because their favs aren’t first choice anymore who can’t even wait for a loss to start the banging on but jump in at a point away from home ,,, yawn yawn yawn 

Reaction from fans at the end was very subdued showing that this was a disappointment to most there.

As time goes on, it'll be a huge point Gained as Hull dominated us and we were very lucky not to concede.

Sadly too many players didn't show up - Huddlestone was awful, Johnson failed to play left winger, Weimann tried but lacked support, and we simply couldn't string passes together.

Rowett MUST now change it up on Saturday to introduce a freshness.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Reaction from fans at the end was very subdued showing that this was a disappointment to most there.

As time goes on, it'll be a huge point Gained as Hull dominated us and we were very lucky not to concede.

Sadly too many players didn't show up - Huddlestone was awful, Johnson failed to play left winger, Weimann tried but lacked support, and we simply couldn't string passes together.

Rowett MUST now change it up on Saturday to introduce a freshness.

agree with that - hindsight great - but i would have changed today and kept the first 11 for Sat

a point aint that bad - i had the horrible feeling we were going to concede late on

We are doing great for Xmas - fourth!!

Point gained or missed chance?? Only time will tell. Looked lethargic today., if we want play offs then it’s a good point. But a top 2 side should have won this. Please, please don’t name an unchanged side against Ipswich. Some running on empty today. 

If we are honest we are flying by the seat of our pants at the moment. 

Teams spurn chances against us and Carson has made some terrific saves. When you’re out of form these are goals. When your luck’s in, it’s in.

However, it’s also true to say that the team spirit looks good, we are more resilient (not afraid to take a booking either) and we are grinding out the points.

We are in there with a chance but still need a bit more quality upfront and a more mobile midfielder.

Johnson might struggle for Saturday so I would go with Russell, Lawrence and Vydra behind Martin.

But it really doesn’t matter what formation I would go for. We have a well paid manager to do that type of thing!

Archived