Hull City A.F.C v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will get shot down for this, and I know we haven’t really lost anything so I don’t wanna be too negative, but bugger it. 

I think he got it wrong not making changes, no matter what anybody likes to say the cracks started to show of that 11 against Millwall (passes going astray, putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure, riding our luck defensively). It just needed freshening up a little, who on that bench has let Rowett down this season? Would fully understand the thinking if we thought x player is better than y, but there has been little to pick between them. Thorne needs game, Russell’s been scoring and Martin has played his part in goal, Winnall’s scored important goals, so why not show some loyalty to them?

People will say ‘ah but what if we had won you wouldn’t be saying this’ but well, we didn’t and a lot of players looked leggy. They looked fatigue in the last 20 at millwall too. Maybe it’s time for Rowett to start practicing what he preached about setting up an 11 for a game rather than sticking with a chosen 11?

I’ll praise Rowett when he does well. He’s proved me wrong on team selection more than once this season and I’ll put my hands up to that, but I’m going to say when I think he gets it wrong too.

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Could be a slight blessing in disguise if dropping to 4th relieves the pressure a bit whilst still effectively gaining a point on 2nd. 

Not just relieving the pressure on the squad but also put a lid on fan expectations. We're all more than happy to be where we are, particularly after a rather indifferent start but to read some of the comments you'd think we were home and dry.

Sometimes you have to grind out results - we've done that today - who knows how valuable that point might be come the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Will get shot down for this, and I know we haven’t really lost anything so I don’t wanna be too negative, but bugger it. 

I think he got it wrong not making changes, no matter what anybody likes to say the cracks started to show of that 11 against Millwall (passes going astray, putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure, riding our luck defensively). It just needed freshening up a little, who on that bench has let Rowett down this season? Would fully understand the thinking if we thought x player is better than y, but there has been little to pick between them. Thorne needs game, Russell’s been scoring and Martin has played his part in goal, Winnall’s scored important goals, so why not show some loyalty to them?

People will say ‘ah but what if we had won you wouldn’t be saying this’ but well, we didn’t and a lot of players looked leggy. They looked fatigue in the last 20 at millwall too. Maybe it’s time for Rowett to start practicing what he preached about setting up an 11 for a game rather than sticking with a chosen 11?

I’ll praise Rowett when he does well. He’s proved me wrong on team selection more than once this season and I’ll put my hands up to that, but I’m going to say when I think he gets it wrong too.

Quite likely we would have lost this game if he had tinkered with the lineup.  Character in the side is incredible

I'm not surprised that we struggled and we didn't win today. The lack of rotation was always going to cost us, despite what people said before the game about never changing a winning team. Rowett's done a good job so far but one thing he has really struggled with is the rotation or lack of when it was needed ( v ipswich, Reading and today). He deserves credit when he gets it right and he deserves criticism when he gets it wrong.

I don't like comparing teams but one thing that McClaren was a master on was his rotation as he knew when it was best to rotate the players, particularly the wingers(Russell, Ward, Dawkins and Bamford). 

I really think we would have won comfortably today if Lawrence, thorne, Martin and Russell to a lesser extent started because Hull's defence are really poor but they were rarely tested because our forward players were knackered. I don't know what Rowett was thinking playing Nugent today after he was injured on Saturday , especially the way Nugent plays. Today would have been perfect to bring Martin in as he would have helped us to sustain more possession. He surely has to make changes for Saturday or I'd be serious worried that the likes of Thorne and Martin will be moving on in January.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'm not surprised that we struggled and we didn't win today. The lack of rotation was always going to cost us, despite what people said before the game about never changing a winning team. Rowett's done a good job so far but one thing he has really struggled with is the rotation or lack of when it was needed ( v ipswich, Reading and today). He deserves credit when he gets it right and he deserves criticism when he gets it wrong.

I don't like comparing teams but one thing that McClaren was a master on was his rotation as he knew when it was best to rotate the players, particularly the wingers(Russell, Ward, Dawkins and Bamford). 

I really think we would have won comfortably today if Lawrence, thorne, Martin and Russell to a lesser extent started because Hull's defence are really poor but they were rarely tested because our forward players were knackered. I don't know what Rowett was thinking playing Nugent today after he was injured on Saturday , especially the way Nugent plays. Today would have been perfect to bring Martin in as he would have helped us to sustain more possession. He surely has to make changes for Saturday or I'd be serious worried that the likes of Thorne and Martin will be moving on in January.

How can you be sure we wouldn't have lost if Rowett had made the changes you suggested? You can't 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

How can you be sure we wouldn't have list if Rowett had made the changes you suggested? You can't 

Because I stated before the game we would struggle and I was proved right sadly. It's not as if those players are under 23s, none of them have let us down recently when coming on. We have a lot of games in quick succession so we need to utilise the squad. 

There's really not a lot between them and the players who started in their positions. Their fresher legs would have made a difference as a lot of players today were struggling from fatigue. For example, a 100% Martin would have been better than a 90%(due to his injury on Saturday) Nugent

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I believe Rowett was unwilling to change because he is judging the squad on the upcoming three matches, rather than just looking at Hull as a single fixture. If we weren't plaing such a physical side in Ipswich this coming weekend, it's highly possible the likes of Martin, Thorne and Wisdom would have started today.

With three games in six days, the whole squad needs using. Nugent for instance will only be able to start one of the two upcoming games. so resting him today meant you'd only see him start one in three games coming off the back of scoring twice against Millwall. That would make little sense.

I think to give us the best chance of gaining the most points from the three games, Rowett's selection made sense. If there wasn't a game on New Years Day, I agree he should have rested a few today and brought them back in for Ipswich. But that Sheff Utd game has IMO complicated matters and swayed his thinking.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Because I stated before the game we would struggle and I was proved right sadly. It's not as if those players are under 23s, none of them have let us down recently when coming on. We have a lot of games in quick succession so we need to utilise the squad. 

There's really not a lot between them and the players who started in their positions. Their fresher legs would have made a difference as a lot of players today were struggling from fatigue. For example, a 100% Martin would have been better than a 90%(due to his injury on Saturday) Nugent

You still didn’t answer the original question. How can you be sure we wouldn’t have lost? You can’t be sure. You’re using hindsight as an argument just because we didn’t win.

If we knicked it 1-0, and we had a couple of good chances, what would you have said then?

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Quite likely we would have lost this game if he had tinkered with the lineup.  Character in the side is incredible

Er, how did you work that one out? ‘Likely’...

I think you are missing the point anyway, as I’m not saying we would have won with a different side, but the team showed in the last 20 minutes against Millwall that they were cracks to be exploited. Today was a chance to give one or two a run out and try and make an impact on his selection, if they don’t do that then what have you lost?

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

We wouldn’t have heard a peep from you if we had won 1-0 in injury time.....

Shout from the rooftops when right, scuttle away when wrong.

1 goal conceded in 8...... actually CLOSED the gap to 2nd to 2 points..... First time Hull drew a blank at home this season......

Im pretty sure I can rely on Rowett being the better decision maker.

We ain’t going to win every game, we are not dropping games..... we have overachieved I’m my opinion this season, this is down to the boss.....

Ill welcome a off day quite happily and still pick up points.

As I alluded to earlier, perspective.....

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

You’re right. Lawrence, Thorne and Russell all ripped Hull apart when they came on, fresh against a tired defence...

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You still didn’t answer the original question. How can you be sure we wouldn’t have lost? You can’t be sure. You’re using hindsight as an argument just because we didn’t win.

If we knicked it 1-0, and we had a couple of good chances, what would you have said then?

He'd have said wait for the injuries to come in the next match, or the one after.

Basically anything to justify his position.

@McLovin used to be a poster who'd say controversial things, but with a decent enough logic that you could kinda see where he was coming from.

Nowadays he's coming across as a full time wind up merchant, posting just to be controversial, and the forum is worse for it imo, and so is he.

Archived