Hull City A.F.C v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I thought the record last season was for home game clean sheets? ?

Same time of year....19/11 - 14/12

rotherham h 3-0

norwich h 1-0

wigan away 1-0

forest h 3-0

qpr away 1-0

Thought it was a bit of a lacklustre performance yesterday, although Hull looked a lot better than several teams who are currently above them in the league.

Thought Nugent and Weimann worked hard but were unfortunate to be up against their left back Ola Aina who was, in my opinion, by far the best outfield player on the pitch.

I think the substitutions were the right ones, even if the last two were later than I would have made them. We certainly looked more threatening after Thorne and Lawrence were on.

Thought our fans were outstanding. A guy two rows in front of me must have the mother of all sore throats this morning after so many shouts to get songs going.

Anyway, on to Ipswich. We are off to that one as well so hope we can do well there to remedy the injustice of the home defeat. I expect to see some changes in view of the Sheffield United game two days later where I expect our "first XI" to start. I would not be surprised to see Baird, Forsyth, Weimann, Nugent, Huddlestone and maybe Vydra rested against Ipswich, to be replaced by Wisdom, Olsson, Russell, Martin, Thorne and maybe Winnall. I don't know the extent of Johnson's injury but I would also expect Lawrence to start against his old club. I know that is seven changes, but it wouldn't be a first start for any of them and they all know the system by now.

I would then expect our starting line-up against Sheffield United to revert back to yesterday's save for a question mark over Johnson's fitness.

This would massively reinforce Rowett's comment that this is a squad game, strengthen team spirit and morale and reduce the risk of fatigue-related injuries.

Sorry for the rant but I thought I would get it all off my chest in one go.

Why is there this big need for a change of players? 

Are we challenging for 4 pieces of silverware like Man City?? No we are challenging ro get promoted nothing else!  

Forget the FA Cup night out at man ure.

Let's face it if we had made changes and lost people would moan about the changes.

We are not going to win every game. 

Let's keep it real and accept that we are doing well and better than 99% of us expected. 

7 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

Why is there this big need for a change of players? 

Are we challenging for 4 pieces of silverware like Man City?? No we are challenging ro get promoted nothing else!  

Forget the FA Cup night out at man ure.

Let's face it if we had made changes and lost people would moan about the changes.

We are not going to win every game. 

Let's keep it real and accept that we are doing well and better than 99% of us expected. 

Do you seriously think that Huddlestone and Nugent, for example, could play 90 minutes against Ipswich, rest for 46 hours then play another 90 minutes against Sheffield United and still be at the top of their game? I don't.

Not even thinking about Man U yet. That's miles away and irrelevant to the main goal which is promotion.

1 minute ago, OohMartWright said:

Do you seriously think that Huddlestone and Nugent, for example, could play 90 minutes against Ipswich, rest for 46 hours then play another 90 minutes against Sheffield United and still be at the top of their game? I don't.

Not even thinking about Man U yet. That's miles away and irrelevant to the main goal which is promotion.

You don't, and that's your opinion.

Why don't you ask Huddlestone and Nugent as well as GR what they think/feel.

I think that they are very fit players and the role Huddlestone plays he would manage it yes. Nugent may struggle but for 2 battles against Ipswich and Sheffield United.  But I would sooner have Nugent for 60 mins than the other options.

I trust that GR will do what he gets paid to do and make the decision he thinks is best for Dcfc. 

10 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

You don't, and that's your opinion.

Why don't you ask Huddlestone and Nugent as well as GR what they think/feel.

I think that they are very fit players and the role Huddlestone plays he would manage it yes. Nugent may struggle but for 2 battles against Ipswich and Sheffield United.  But I would sooner have Nugent for 60 mins than the other options.

I trust that GR will do what he gets paid to do and make the decision he thinks is best for Dcfc. 

I said "I expect to see" not "I would make", and then gave my reasoning for why I thought so. I thought Huddlestone looked leggy after an hour yesterday. The issue coming up is the 46 hour recovery period between the two games. Of course they are very fit players - they are professional athletes, but will they recover sufficiently in 46 hours to play another 90 minutes at their top level?

I was speculating on the line-ups for forthcoming games with the exceptional timing of two games within 50 hours, the latter being against a promotion rival. That's the sort of thing we do on this forum.

If I were the manager I would make some changes (probably not seven though) but I am not and I am also happy to trust in GR to do what he thinks is right. We will be at both games so it will be interesting to see what he does.

4 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

I said "I expect to see" not "I would make", and then gave my reasoning for why I thought so. I thought Huddlestone looked leggy after an hour yesterday. The issue coming up is the 46 hour recovery period between the two games. Of course they are very fit players - they are professional athletes, but will they recover sufficiently in 46 hours to play another 90 minutes at their top level?

I was speculating on the line-ups for forthcoming games with the exceptional timing of two games within 50 hours, the latter being against a promotion rival. That's the sort of thing we do on this forum.

If I were the manager I would make some changes (probably not seven though) but I am not and I am also happy to trust in GR to do what he thinks is right. We will be at both games so it will be interesting to see what he does.

I did not say that you would make the changes and I said it was your opinion.

I agree that Huddlestone looked leggy but I think he looks good at looking leggy.

Tbh I would expect some changes for the Ipswich game with GR wanting the team that played yesterday for Sheffield United. Like you said it will be interesting to see though.

I refer to my original point that I don't see the need to change from Sat to Tues and people saying that we need to change for freshness.

4 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

I did not say that you would make the changes and I said it was your opinion.

I agree that Huddlestone looked leggy but I think he looks good at looking leggy.

Tbh I would expect some changes for the Ipswich game with GR wanting the team that played yesterday for Sheffield United. Like you said it will be interesting to see though.

I refer to my original point that I don't see the need to change from Sat to Tues and people saying that we need to change for freshness.

Laughed out loud at the "looks good at looking leggy" point.

I said prior to the Hull game that I did not expect changes for it and was proved right. Like you, I don't expect (or want) changes "for freshness" in the usual Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues-Sat cycle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Next weekend is exceptional, though, and I believe GR will use his squad for the reasons already stated.

If a player has a niggle and needs time to recover, then fine, make a change. If someone is off form, then fine, make a change. If the manager wants to try something different or sees the need to counter a particular opposition threat, then yes, make a change or two. These are all judgement calls that the manager is paid to make. 

But change the team because the players are tired? Really? We are talking about professional athletes here.

. All they do is train and practice, they have state-of-the-art training facilities, access to the best medical and physiotherapy personnel that money can buy and we're worried that the poor little lambs can't manage to play two games of football in a week?

Cobblers!

44 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

... All they do is train and practice, they have state-of-the-art training facilities, access to the best medical and physiotherapy personnel that money can buy and we're worried that the poor little lambs can't manage to play two games of football in a week?

Cobblers!

"cd6pics (Curtis Davies): Very sloppy performance today! Based on the couple of chances Hull had I’m relieved to come away with a point and clean sheet! We know we can do much better!"

Seems like they can't manage it.

Finally managed to watch the whole match at the third attempt.

fell asleep twice.

Really poor. Offered nothing in the second half bar one shot from nugent who hadn't got the legs to take it on.

I don't think we won a single long ball all game. Its alright saying nugent runs in behind but we got nothing to him. Martin dropping off would have been a better option in the second half. 

Nothing from any winger other than weimann. 

George looks heavy and slow. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Finally managed to watch the whole match at the third attempt.

fell asleep twice.

Really poor. Offered nothing in the second half bar one shot from nugent who hadn't got the legs to take it on.

I don't think we won a single long ball all game. Its alright saying nugent runs in behind but we got nothing to him. Martin dropping off would have been a better option in the second half. 

Nothing from any winger other than weimann. 

George looks heavy and slow. 

Fair assessment ,my only quibble is it could well have helped us bringing Martin on to drop in but it could easily have gone the other way and have them really push right on to us ,you never know with this stuff 

Archived