Do we really need any new incomings in January?

Sparkle

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight forward question indeed. Probably not a straight forward answer!

GR has made it let clear there needs to be outs before ins. Overall I agree with you.

In Carson we have one of the best keepers around.

Defensively we're pretty rock solid. Keogh been awesome, massively helped by Davies. Baird looking good. Fozzy done ok and we have Wisdom and Lowe backing up. 

Up front Vydra and Nugent are one of the strongest partnerships in the league. Martin provides a solid back up and has played well despite not scoring. 

Personally I'd like to see a more attacking / energetic midfielder come in. Can't fault the energy of Weimann and Russell but they miss that cutting edge for me. So a wide man to scare the bejesus out of defences. Under 25 would be good to bring our average age down!

Aside from that I think we're looking like a pretty solid team now. 

It is though one of those real difficult questions. If someone were to come in they'd really need to stand out and not disrupt the team identity we currently have. 

Can make a strong argument that as things are today we don't need anyone - big squad, great results, performances improving. However, we are not top two (if that is the objective) and probably more relevant the other teams will not stand still, they will strengthen. We appear to have enough strength in depth to over injuries (this avoiding a Mac 1 type implosion) but I would be worried if Keogh or Davies was injured.

For me, outgoings key but a couple of incomings may help secure top six . push to autos.

Agree completely - we have good kids in the system that should be encouraged and are already better than some of the journeymen we get linked with. Lets ship out (if we can) Anya, Shackell, Bent, Blackman, Roos, Ollson, Hanson, Rawson - if there are fees available for them - we have enough players in each position as cover. I don't want the wages savings or incoming fees to burn an immediate hole in Mel's pockets - let's build on what we have and only buy genuine quality - a "9 man bench" of  Mitchell - Wisdom - Pearce - Lowe -  Thorne - Russell - Thomas - Winnall - Martin with Elsnik, Gordon, Guy and Vernam still to come behind a first team of Carson - Baird - Forsyth - Davies - Keogh - Huddlestone - Ledley - Weimann - Lawrence - Vydra - Nugent - is a strong, healthy place for us to be sitting. 

Not sure if all our old men will be there for next season in the same shape, but for now, let's not rock the boat...

6 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Straight forward question indeed. Probably not a straight forward answer!

GR has made it let clear there needs to be outs before ins. Overall I agree with you.

In Carson we have one of the best keepers around.

Defensively we're pretty rock solid. Keogh been awesome, massively helped by Davies. Baird looking good. Fozzy done ok and we have Wisdom and Lowe backing up. 

Up front Vydra and Nugent are one of the strongest partnerships in the league. Martin provides a solid back up and has played well despite not scoring. 

Personally I'd like to see a more attacking / energetic midfielder come in. Can't fault the energy of Weimann and Russell but they miss that cutting edge for me. So a wide man to scare the bejesus out of defences. Under 25 would be good to bring our average age down!

Aside from that I think we're looking like a pretty solid team now. 

It is though one of those real difficult questions. If someone were to come in they'd really need to stand out and not disrupt the team identity we currently have. 

Agree, an attacking central midfielder with some pace and energy to complement what we have, a younger, better version of Bryson. The fella we have been linked with at Bolton fits that mould...other than that get a few out on perms and loans...

I reckon beyond the football, the odd new face here and there tends to add to that positive feeling amongst the players and fans. You know? The feeling that the club is moving forward and is actively looking to improve.

So from a psychological perspective I'd say yes (Only one or two mind). 

34 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Fairly straightforward question really - do people think we actually need any new recruits in January? 

I don’t think we do assuming that we don’t sell any that we actually use

outgoings is another story

Fair point and I’m tempted to say no,if we were to keep the current 18 then no.

If we lost Ledley,Keogh Or Vydra to injury I would worry.

If we let 2 strikers go(Martin /Bent)we would need some cover.

As it stands I agree with your post and it’s a no from me too.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes we do, otherwise we will struggle to break teams down like Ipswich.

Out- Bent, Shackell,Anya, Butterfield(permanent), Blackman(permanent), Hanson(loan), Bennett(loan), Lowe(loan)

In: Vela and Maddison.

Agree with virtually all of that other than I would keep Lowe. If he is fit he is probably our best left back, defensively at least. So I would maybe let Olsson go instead, either on a loan or perm...

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Yes we do, otherwise we will struggle to break teams down like Ipswich.

Out- Bent, Shackell,Anya, Butterfield(permanent), Blackman(permanent), Hanson(loan), Bennett(loan), Lowe(loan)

In: Vela and Maddison.

Maddison from Peterborough? If so really decent player but i'm almost certain he recently signed a new deal

12 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Maddison from Peterborough? If so really decent player but i'm almost certain he recently signed a new deal

Yes, he signed a 3 year contract extension. I have no idea whether I am right but I got the feeling that Maddison may have been a possible signing if we hadn't got Lawrence.

For the first time in years, I really wouldn't be bothered if we only had players going out.

It's always exciting to get new players in but we have a huge squad and have some really talented players not even making the squad, never mind the team sheet.

We have a healthy amount of players and quality.

If we were to do any big business, I've got a feeling it could be Martin going out (if a decent bid comes in) and a pacey striker in?

Get rid of the dead wood first & foremost.  Right off getting decent fees for Anya, Shackell, Bent, and Olsson, Mel will just have to take the hit as penance for his splurging of seasons past.  The savings on wages should offset it.

Ins???  Seeing as GR is such a bif fan of his, and we're crying out for a proper winger who can put a quality ball in, signing Cotterill seems to be a no brainer...

21 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

For the first time in years, I really wouldn't be bothered if we only had players going out.

It's always exciting to get new players in but we have a huge squad and have some really talented players not even making the squad, never mind the team sheet.

We have a healthy amount of players and quality.

If we were to do any big business, I've got a feeling it could be Martin going out (if a decent bid comes in) and a pacey striker in?

I am not so convinced Martin will go even if we get a bid. Rowett seems to like him for certain opponents because he offers us something different. A pacey striker that can;t hold the ball up very well might be a bit too similar to Vydra and put our defensive unit under pressure by not being able to keep the ball in the opposition half for long enough.

There is a surplus of approx 6 players who could go.

we seem to have a good team spirit, but if anything are over reliant on vydra

depends how many over 30s are available :lol:

1 hour ago, singaporeram said:

Agree completely - we have good kids in the system that should be encouraged and are already better than some of the journeymen we get linked with. Lets ship out (if we can) Anya, Shackell, Bent, Blackman, Roos, Ollson, Hanson, Rawson - if there are fees available for them - we have enough players in each position as cover. I don't want the wages savings or incoming fees to burn an immediate hole in Mel's pockets - let's build on what we have and only buy genuine quality - a "9 man bench" of  Mitchell - Wisdom - Pearce - Lowe -  Thorne - Russell - Thomas - Winnall - Martin with Elsnik, Gordon, Guy and Vernam still to come behind a first team of Carson - Baird - Forsyth - Davies - Keogh - Huddlestone - Ledley - Weimann - Lawrence - Vydra - Nugent - is a strong, healthy place for us to be sitting. 

Not sure if all our old men will be there for next season in the same shape, but for now, let's not rock the boat...

Poor old BJ cant even make the bench then?

Archived